N/S Sick to my Stomach (1 Viewer)

I realize ur not supposed to dwell on these things.. and so i dont.. BUT as a lifelong Saints fan, as im sure most of us are.. and as a season ticket holder, which im sure many of us are- when i do let my mind wander, and i watch Mahomes play.. and i think about how badly Payton wanted him, and how close we were to getting him.. it makes me nauseous because these are the types of things that change organizations, and change entire cities.. There’s simply no WAY Payton ever leaves NOLA if we draft Mahomes.. imagine a world where Mahomes sits behind Brees for a couple years, much as he did behind Alex Freaking Smith.. then becomes the starter.. in this world, the unthinkable happens- the team actually improves on Brees .. we UPGRADE over Drew Brees…. We become an absolute machine AND there’s an excellent chance we are playing in the Super Bowl next year in our home Dome, competing for probably our fourth or fifth Super Bowl win in that game …. Ok im not gonna think about it anymore .
So, if I had a choice of Brees, in his prime, or Mahomes, uh.... currently, since he's in his prime right now, I would pick Brees to lead the team. Brees made everyone better. Name any WR or RB that became better after leaving the Saints. Mahomes hasn't made all-stars of any of his WR's (except Hill, who they traded away and is still an all-star). Toney, Watson, MVS, basically all the WRs (except Rashee Rice and Mr. Taylor Swift) don't get open until Mahomes dances around and evades tacklers for 10-20 seconds. I mean, come on man, my momma can get open if she has 2 minutes to run the route.

So, if I had a choice of Brees, in his prime, or Mahomes, uh.... currently, since he's in his prime right now, I would pick Brees to lead the team. Brees made everyone better. Name any WR or RB that became better after leaving the Saints. Mahomes hasn't made all-stars of any of his WR's (except Hill, who they traded away and is still an all-star). Toney, Watson, MVS, basically all the WRs (except Rashee Rice and Mr. Taylor Swift) don't get open until Mahomes dances around and evades tacklers for 10-20 seconds. I mean, come on man, my momma can get open if she has 2 minutes to run the route.
Tyreek Hill had dang near 1200 yards and 7 TDs before Mahomes...LOL. But I have to disagree with you on getting open. Andy Reid has always been able to scheme folks open, and when you see the games, you would normally see short passes or screens behind the LoS the vast majority of the time. This season, they just happened to drop the ball at about the same rate as the 2013-2016 squads were...lol.

It will be interesting to see the offense without Kelce.

I realize ur not supposed to dwell on these things.. and so i dont.. BUT as a lifelong Saints fan, as im sure most of us are.. and as a season ticket holder, which im sure many of us are- when i do let my mind wander, and i watch Mahomes play.. and i think about how badly Payton wanted him, and how close we were to getting him.. it makes me nauseous because these are the types of things that change organizations, and change entire cities.. There’s simply no WAY Payton ever leaves NOLA if we draft Mahomes.. imagine a world where Mahomes sits behind Brees for a couple years, much as he did behind Alex Freaking Smith.. then becomes the starter.. in this world, the unthinkable happens- the team actually improves on Brees .. we UPGRADE over Drew Brees…. We become an absolute machine AND there’s an excellent chance we are playing in the Super Bowl next year in our home Dome, competing for probably our fourth or fifth Super Bowl win in that game …. Ok im not gonna think about it anymore .
I know, I’ve thought about this same thing quite a bit. If we’d drafted Mahomes, we would be truly relevant for at LEAST another decade. But of course, as is the life of being a Saints fan, we can only seem to wear the glass slippers for so long before reality comes crashing in.

I know, I’ve thought about this same thing quite a bit. If we’d drafted Mahomes, we would be truly relevant for at LEAST another decade. But of course, as is the life of being a Saints fan, we can only seem to wear the glass slippers for so long before reality comes crashing in.
It’s only been three years post Brees.
Look at every franchise that has a long term run. Only about three hit another run right after.

Move on, live in the present not in the past.

I've never bought in to this fantasy.

If Payton 100% wanted Mahomes, he would've traded up high enough to secure the pick, and not (gambled) and left the door open for Kansas City to trade up to get him.

I was just thinking about this very issue when I came across your post. I did a little research and found that it was Buffalo that traded their first round pick at #10 (just ahead of the Saints with the 11th pick) with Kansas City. Buffalo received KC's 1st and 3rd round picks plus their 2018 1st round pick. Then Buffalo traded this 2018 pick to Baltimore for their 1st and 3rd round picks. They ended up getting Tremaine Edmunds, who played a few productive seasons with the Bills then signed with the Bears in 2023. When all was said and done the only team that came out ahead was the Chiefs. It's all so sad and typical of the Saints many missed opportunities.

I think there was even an article posted about how Reid knew that Payton wanted Mahomes, and that´s why he jumped the Saints. Like the news of the Saints wanting Mahomes leaked or something.

I was just thinking about this very issue when I came across your post. I did a little research and found that it was Buffalo that traded their first round pick at #10 (just ahead of the Saints with the 11th pick) with Kansas City. Buffalo received KC's 1st and 3rd round picks plus their 2018 1st round pick. Then Buffalo traded this 2018 pick to Baltimore for their 1st and 3rd round picks. They ended up getting Tremaine Edmunds, who played a few productive seasons with the Bills then signed with the Bears in 2023. When all was said and done the only team that came out ahead was the Chiefs. It's all so sad and typical of the Saints many missed opportunities.
Not to get defensive, but I think people forget just how much of a crapshoot the draft/FA is.
It worked out for the Saints when they signed Brees, so I’d say they didn’t miss that opportunity.
On the opposite side, the Bears had a chance to pick Mahomes, but didn’t in favor of Trubisky.

I think there was even an article posted about how Reid knew that Payton wanted Mahomes, and that´s why he jumped the Saints. Like the news of the Saints wanting Mahomes leaked or something.
I think Patrick may have said he preferred KC.

It feels like the person in front of you bought the winning lottery. Doh!
Coulda woulda shoulda.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom