N/S Sick to my Stomach (1 Viewer)

Very easy to look back and see that Mahomes turned out great, but what if the Saints drafted him. Moved up one spot and gave up a 2018 second round pick to move up. Who's to say that Mahomes doesn't get rolled in training camp and shreds a knee and then gets four concussions the next year? If the Saints had actually TRIED to trade up one spot, OK, there's a real reason to be a little bit upset, but if they trade up and go defense after that, no Lattimore (they would have had tobtrade this pick), no Ram, no Kamara. Does Drew get smashed in 2018 and we are back drafting a QB because Mahomes got hurt in Training Camp? Anything can happen. He could have just been a "guy" if the Saints drafted him, injured and riding the bench. There are way too many variables.

Chiefs had a better defense before Mahomes became the starter. No doubt his defense is playing lights out this year, but Mahomes is on a whole another level than Alex Smith. Cant say if Smith would be able to do what Pat is doing, but this kid is a winner plain and simple.
The 2023 Chiefs were one of the worst second half teams in the NFL. We saw more of the same yesterday but the defense shut down (about to be named MVP) Lamar Jackson and that offense. When going back through the history of Reid era Chiefs, defense and bad breaks were the story of that team. When has Mahomes scored 44 points and lost? The 2017 Chiefs lost after the Titans came back from 18 points in the second half and we saw that team do absolutely nothing. I'm not comparing the 2 as much as their situations and the perception of such. I mean, when you really break down the offense, Mahomes escapes better but 70% of the time, we will see nothing but dinking and dunking to wide open receivers in space...haha. In all seriousness, we will never know because Sutton's bend but don't break defense usually broke in the playoffs. That's why they fired him and brought in Spags.

Every NFL team except the Chiefs can kick themselves for not properly evaluating Mahomes' potential. BTW, the Saints, as 31 other teams, had the chance to draft Lamar Jackson, and they didn't.

Every NFL team except the Chiefs can kick themselves for not properly evaluating Mahomes' potential. BTW, the Saints, as 31 other teams, had the chance to draft Lamar Jackson, and they didn't.
He probably would have failed at a lot of places. We see the result now but we don't take into accounts:
-He was drafted to a team with an established culture and a HoF coach (Thanks Reid and Smith) with a proven system (the part we miss)
-He sat behind an established vet for a year
-He took over a top 6 offense

Some Bears fans really believe that Mahomes would have turned them around..lol.

The same goes for Lamar Jackson. We forget about the master class in drafting that Ozzie Newsome put on display in 2019 AND we ignore that the entirety of that offense is built for and around him and his skillset.

That's true... but you can't deny both Mahomes and Jackson have unique skillsets that make them special players. No other players do what they do.

maybe payton should have traded up to make sure he got him, if he gave a couple 1's for freaking davenport.....
Sure. But going into 2017 draft - we were coming off 3 consecutive 7-9 campaigns and, I believe, entering the draft with a need to maximize the picks they had.

It paid off too.

The “consolation prize” was defensive rookie of the year.

They also grabbed the offensive rookie of the year and several other players who led to an immediate turnaround that brought us an egregious no-call from our second Super Bowl just 2 seasons later.

It’s cool to use recency bias when Mahommes is on his way to rewriting every record in the game - but Payton thought he had him and got sniped. It happens. We didn’t whiff on anything after that occurred in the 2017 draft. So as it goes - it was a pretty decent haul anyway and should have gotten us another title.

If you want to see true failure - see the Bears trading up to get Trubisky when they could have drafted Mahommes outright in their original spot.

maybe payton should have traded up to make sure he got him, if he gave a couple 1's for freaking davenport.....
Right.
This is what I alluded to earlier in the thread.

There's this narrative out there that Sean Payton just KNEW Mahomes was the next GOAT and that's the guy he wanted to draft.
I'm pretty sure SP has fed this narrative... to the point the OP is feeling sick to his stomach.

If that is the case, do we all think Sean Payton is just going to sit there at pick No. 13 and hope Mahomes falls that far?
Wasn't he about moving up to get his guy?

In previous drafts, SP and the Saints had moved up in the first round to draft Sedrick Ellis and Brandon Cooks, as well as moving back into the first round to draft Mark Ingram. Why not move up for Patrick Mahomes?

Do I think SP liked Patrick Mahomes as a QB prospect... very likely... Mahomes had a first round draft grade.
Would the Saints have drafted Mahomes had he fallen to us at 13... probably.
But if Payton was so in love with Mahomes, he likely could've jumped from the 13th spot into the top 10 to draft him... because that is what SP and the Saints did on draft day.

Tired of hearing about lamar

Guy has had loaded ravens rosters and can only make one afc title game in his career so far.

He’s great in the regular season but can’t get it done when it counts.

You are letting recency bias cloud ur judgement .. dont look at just what happened 12 hours ago, look at the TOTALITY of Mahomes trajectory so far.. and never forget that pre-Mahomes, Sean Payton was a MORE ACCOMPLISHED head coach than Andy Reid was.. Mahomes would be an even better QB under Payton than he is under Reid, there i said it .
The NFC is not as spaced out as the AFC. It is difficult to get back to back top two seeds. let alone SB appearances in this conference. You'll see proof when Aaron Rodgers has a better playoff showing in the AFC than he did in the NFC. Mahomes would have been elite with us, but he wouldn't be playing the same two or three teams every year in the playoffs.

I read an interview somewhere (can't recall where) with Mahomes that included the question did he know who was going to draft him based on workouts, etc. with various teams. Word leaked out that Sean Payton promised him we would take him if he were still available. Obviously Mahomes knew we were going to draft him. He didn't want to come here and contacted Andy Reid and asked him if he could make a trade to move ahead of us. He did and the rest is history. I used to like Mahomes until I read that and now I don't give two squats about him.

I read an interview somewhere (can't recall where) with Mahomes that included the question did he know who was going to draft him based on workouts, etc. with various teams. Word leaked out that Sean Payton promised him we would take him if he were still available. Obviously Mahomes knew we were going to draft him. He didn't want to come here and contacted Andy Reid and asked him if he could make a trade to move ahead of us. He did and the rest is history. I used to like Mahomes until I read that and now I don't give two squats about him.
He’s not in the AFC, so I’m fine.
I feel bad for any AFC franchises that thought they could get a spotlight once Brady left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom