I’m inclined to think the Saints would ideally like to leave this draft w/ Bowers (3 Viewers)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OT and WR are the two obvious choices for additions. There are very few mocks that don’t have us taking either or in the 1st two rounds.

Even Underhill/Trip have listed those two positions as must, and most of their discussions are around the top 3-4 Olineman or the available pass catchers.

I’m not convinced, that either are a preference w/ the 1st pick.

Hunter Renfrow and Andrus Peat are still sitting out there in FA. Coincidentally both could slot right in and give meaningful snaps on offense.

Both, IMHO could beat out any rookie available at 14.

Now, never mind the obvious, Bowers would give you a bit of both worlds. An extra blocker on the line in heavy TE sets and as an obvious Joker type receiver that can move all across the formation.

However, my biggest clue is…the emphasis on the quick passing game. That type of offense is meant to minimize the struggles of an offensive line and cover up holes. IMHO that reduces the emphasis for elite talent on the line and instead puts it on receiving options.

But not just any type of receiving option, they have to be able to get RAC. The best player at RAC in this draft is hands down Bowers.

And he’s 243 LBs so he’ll be durable. Slot DBs will be a tough matchup and he’ll be too agile for LBs.

Now, he did struggle a bit w/ 50/50 balls and he’s also not an elite prospect. He’s got average arm length, average height, average weight for a TE etc but his super power is he breaks tackles effortlessly. It’s kind of akin to how Kamara just absorbs contact, perhaps you could attribute it to core strength. Whatever it is, it elevates everything else about his game.

Yet, w/ the negatives (hardly negatives but the league does lean towards size/weight/speed) he’s likely not going to be considered a top 10 pick.

Conveniently the teams ahead of us have bigger needs than TE, and someone will trade up or reach for a QB outside the top 10, potentially knocking him right to us.

If you hold tight and nab Bowers you can pencil in resigning Peat to play LT(where he’ll stay healthier than his time at LG, less bodies and trash) and have Landon Young and Trevor Penning compete for RT.

You still have Hurst as a backup option at LT and you also have Salidevri as someone who can compete at LG if you are unable to draft someone at that spot (though the should still use a pick on one)

I feel strongly that having Peat/Renfrow on speed dial options makes WR/OT needs/wants. Similar to when we signed Honey Badger sometime after the draft. Word is that year we were interested in getting Jaquan Briskett in 2nd round and he went just before us to the bears.

We called Honey Badger and have been no worse off. This feels very similar

Even Underhill/Trip have listed those two positions as must, and most of their discussions are around the top 3-4 Olineman or the available pass catchers.

I did hear the show where they said that… but since then I’ve also heard them say we almost have to go OT in the first. And I’ve heard them say they could even see us going OT in the 1st and 2nd.

I agree with you. I’ve been saying for months this draft is Bowers or bust. He’s the best overall player that’s not a QB in this draft for my money. And he fits what we are going to want to do on offense. The Jets are the only team that may keep him from us.

I agree with you. I’ve been saying for months this draft is Bowers or bust. He’s the best overall player that’s not a QB in this draft for my money. And he fits what we are going to want to do on offense. The Jets are the only team that may keep him from us.
They are the one team I fear, but when I think about Rogers history, he’s been a guy who’s thrived more with WRs than TEs.

I know they signed Mike Williams but he’s returning from injury. I still see a gaping hole at WR for them. Someone like Brian Thomas seems like a more ideal fit than a TE

They are the one team I fear, but when I think about Rogers history, he’s been a guy who’s thrived more with WRs than TEs.

I know they signed Mike Williams but he’s returning from injury. I still see a gaping hole at WR for them. Someone like Brian Thomas seems like a more ideal fit than a TE
I think they take Rome or OT

The only reason to draft a TE that high is if he’s George Kittle.

The comps I’ve seen for Bowers are…George Kittle.

Were running the SF offense (give or take).

Bowers would be ideal BPA. He’d make every offensive snap unpredictable. I’d happily take a T or Edge if bowers were gone. But he’s too good to pass up.

I agree with you. I’ve been saying for months this draft is Bowers or bust. He’s the best overall player that’s not a QB in this draft for my money. And

The only reason to draft a TE that high is if he’s George Kittle.

The comps I’ve seen for Bowers are…George Kittle.

Were running the SF offense (give or take).

Bowers would be ideal BPA. He’d make every offensive snap unpredictable. I’d happily take a T or Edge if bowers were gone. But he’s too good to pass up.
I think Bowers is a talented TE. He's a little too undersized for the TE position in the NFL. If he adds bulk and remains as athletic that could be a good thing. I think we need to go OT again.

OT and WR are the two obvious choices for additions. There are very few mocks that don’t have us taking either or in the 1st two rounds.

I’m not convinced, that either are a preference w/ the 1st pick.

Hunter Renfrow and Andrus Peat are still sitting out there in FA. Coincidentally both could slot right in and give meaningful snaps on offense.

Both, IMHO could beat out any rookie available at 14.

Now, never mind the obvious, Bowers would give you a bit of both worlds. An extra blocker on the line in heavy TE sets and as an obvious Joker type receiver that can move all across the formation.

However, my biggest clue is…the emphasis on the quick passing game. That type of offense is meant to minimize the struggles of an offensive line and cover up holes. IMHO that reduces the emphasis for elite talent on the line and instead puts it on receiving options.

But not just any type of receiving option, they have to be able to get RAC. The best player at RAC in this draft is hands down Bowers.

And he’s 243 LBs so he’ll be durable. Slot DBs will be a tough matchup and he’ll be too agile for LBs.

Now, he did struggle a bit w/ 50/50 balls and he’s also not an elite prospect. He’s got average arm length, average height, average weight for a TE etc but his super power is he breaks tackles effortlessly. It’s kind of akin to how Kamara just absorbs contact, perhaps you could attribute it to core strength. Whatever it is, it elevates everything else about his game.

Yet, w/ the negatives (hardly negatives but the league does lean towards size/weight/speed) he’s likely not going to be considered a top 10 pick.

Conveniently the teams ahead of us have bigger needs than TE, and someone will trade up or reach for a QB outside the top 10, potentially knocking him right to us.

If you hold tight and nab Bowers you can pencil in resigning Peat to play LT(where he’ll stay healthier than his time at LG, less bodies and trash) and have Landon Young and Trevor Penning compete for RT.

You still have Hurst as a backup option at LT and you also have Salidevri as someone who can compete at LG if you are unable to draft someone at that spot (though the should still use a pick on one)

I feel strongly that having Peat/Renfrow on speed dial options makes WR/OT needs/wants. Similar to when we signed Honey Badger sometime after the draft. Word is that year we were interested in getting Jaquan Briskett in 2nd round and he went just before us to the bears.

We called Honey Badger and have been no worse off. This feels very similar
I am 90% in agreement with you. I think that Bowers is a game changer not only for his talent but because he's a threat receiving AND blocking he does not give the offensive play a tell. You can run what you want out of any formation. I think that Kubiak would rather him over Oduze.
I disagree that Peat would beat out any LT we got @ 14. I know Alt will almost surely not be there but I think Fashanu could beat Peat out for LT. But either way I think we re-sign Peat after the draft. Either for LT or LG.
I do think that they will give Penning every opportunity to win the LT spot with Benton and Dennison as OL coaches I expect to see much improvement from him.
If we do go OT @ 14 I look for us to take Coleman or Legette @ 45 if they are still there

I did hear the show where they said that… but since then I’ve also heard them say we almost have to go OT in the first. And I’ve heard them say they could even see us going OT in the 1st and 2nd.
They have also said that if Bowers is there @ 14 you run to the podium

Aside from disagreeing that Peat would beat out any tackle we took at 14, I agree with your write up and would be very happy if Bowers fell to us. Our TE room is one of the poorest in the league imo.

I'll be happy with either Bowers, any of the top tackles or a top wideout, at 14.

EJ I don't understand what you mean right here when you say that he isn't an elite prospect? Like he doesn't have elite measurables? Or he's not an elite TE prospect?

I don't think he's the best TE prospect of all time like some people are saying but I do think he's one of the best ball players in this draft. Of all the pass catchers in the draft there are only a few I'd rather have. I'm trying to think of where he would fit in a list of the top TE prospects I've seen. Elite TE prospects like Vernon Davis, Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow Jr, Greg Olsen,* Kyle Pitts, Hockenson.

(*The Hurricanes have had so many TEs it's absurd. I could list about five more Miami TEs just off the top of my head.)

Anyway, I'd love to see the Saints come away with Bowers. Having TEs who can rack up YAC are like cheat codes. For years I've watched these modern offenses dump the ball off to TEs who have miles of green grass in front of them. For years I've watched teams use the cheap short stuff to backs and TEs and absolutely destroy the Saints. I would like to do that. Clear out with the WRs and then let a playmaker go to work underneath. Could be a TE like Bowers or it could be a WR who excels at YAC.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom