Quick thoughts on the selection of Fuaga (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that Bowers was the preference, I'd gotten a bit excited when the Broncos took the Oregon QB because I thought we were picking next. When I saw Raiders on the clock, I though OL since every single mock draft suggested that would be the direction they'd go. However, they chose Bowers because last years pick at TE Michael Mayers (everyone's hyped TE in 2023) wasn't the revelation people were expecting. Saints took a while to put in their pick, suggesting that they were working the phones a bit to potentially trade back (could be wrong) so that does jive w/ my thoughts that the new regime has a preference for skill position players over Oline. Also makes sense on why Ireland said they wouldn't "force" an offensive lineman.

Here's the thing.

Taysom is a less a projection than Bowers is. Bowers is younger and cheaper but still an unknown. Taysom breaks tackles like Bowers, probably doesn't have the initial burst that Bowers does due to age, but you kind of know what you have him him. Meanwhile, though Juwan Johnson didn't have the year most were expecting, I'm 100% certain it was due to how he was being used with Michael Thomas on the team.

Johnson caught 39 passes for 448 yds and 4 TD's. 23 of those catches and all 4 TDs came AFTER Thomas went down. The exact same thing happened in 2022 following Thomas going down in Week 3. After that his targets and touches went up as he took on that role. IMHO, the issue with Johnson was partial health but mostly because he and Thomas have/had overlapping skillsets. Which put Juwan in more of a blocking/traditional TE role vs being the pass catcher he showed he can be during his breakout season.

Now here's where it gets interesting, one of the players I like in this draft is the Florida state WR Keon Coleman. Most of us want him, and I know the Saints are interested, but I feel like they'd end up with the exact same issue. They'd try to force him into the MT role due to his size/skillset and that would minimize Johnsons role/production yet again. IMHO the 2nd best tackle breaking receiving option outside of Bowers is Malachi Corley. If the Saints want a pitch and catch guy, which is likely what Bowers would have initially been while he developed, their next best option is Corley.

He doesn't have the size, but I think he meshes better with what you already have on the roster.

I said all of that to say, getting Fuaga was a blessing in disguise. It wasn't sexy, most people didn't want OL and neither did the Saints brass, but we got beat in the trenches badly last year. Fuaga solves a part of that and in some scouting services was better than all the tackles that went before him, meaning we got a steal at 15, that in any other draft would not have been there. That's insane for us in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers to the Saints getting Corley. Happy Day 2 everyone. Fuaga was a great pickup.

I value your opinion champ.... but don't overthink this bro... Vegas Fuaga'd us on Bowers.... Move on to round 2, and let's get Coleman, Corely, or Sanders

I value your opinion champ.... but don't overthink this bro... Vegas Fuaga'd us on Bowers.... Move on to round 2, and let's get Coleman, Corely, or Sanders
Info, I like you, you're an OG, but you're a bit butthurt about missing out on your guy and it's permeating in your post. Keep that energy in yesterday, build a bridge, get over it.

We were going OL
Nah, I think if Bowers was there they definitely would have taken him. San Fran and the 2021 Vikings both value skill position players over OL (opposite of Paytons scheme over the years). There's enough data that pointing to Bowers being the pick if the Raiders didn't take him.

Nah, I think if Bowers was there they definitely would have taken him. San Fran and the 2021 Vikings both value skill position players over OL (opposite of Paytons scheme over the years). There's enough data that pointing to Bowers being the pick if the Raiders didn't take him.
I would not of mind the Bowers pick, I was clocking his availability too.

I like the idea of Corley, but I'm not sure who sits for him to take the field. Bowers would obviously be your TE1 on day one, but if we are going to be playing in a lot of 12 and 21 personnel groups then it's less obvious who sits for Corley to take the field. Do you accept less speed without Shaheed, or less size without Perry or Wilson? I'm assuming Olave will be on the field most snaps like Jefferson in Minnesota and Aiyuk in SF.

In DA's press conference, he mentioned that there was a scenario where they may have traded back one or two spots. I have a feeling that scenario might have been if Bowers was there at 14 they could have traded back to Indy and still drafted Fuaga. We may never know.
Every Coach in Every press conference speaks on trading back or trading up, its draft talk.

Every Coach in Every press conference speaks on trading back or trading up, its draft talk.
To clarify, this was from his press conference last night after the first round. It sounded a little more specific than a generic reply.

Info, I like you, you're an OG, but you're a bit butthurt about missing out on your guy and it's permeating in your post. Keep that energy in yesterday, build a bridge, get over it.

Oh no.... I am furious that we allowed a generational player go one pick ahead of us (again)... No doubt. It will permeate with me, until we address the lack of young physical playmakers in this offense, and inject some aggressive coaching... I'll get over it when something is done about DA Beta-Ball...

We can do something about it today, and after the draft.... but after yesterday... I am not very hopeful. The play it safe - mid - mentality of this staff and FO has me wanting to burn bridges...

I'll still be an OG and watch.... but with completely cynical eyes until something gives.

I like the idea of Corley, but I'm not sure who sits for him to take the field. Bowers would obviously be your TE1 on day one, but if we are going to be playing in a lot of 12 and 21 personnel groups then it's less obvious who sits for Corley to take the field. Do you accept less speed without Shaheed, or less size without Perry or Wilson? I'm assuming Olave will be on the field most snaps like Jefferson in Minnesota and Aiyuk in SF.
That’s definitely something to think about, but it’s a good problem to have too many good receivers. The way it looks now, the WRs on the board will be BPA when we come up to the podium today. There are some really good ones left that will be hard to pass up on.

As much as I liked the idea of Bowers, he's useless if we can't protect the QB or run the ball.
Yep. Fancy paint job on a car currently sitting on blocks in the front yard. Let's get some tires and an engine put in this thing before we start tricking it out.

It would've been interesting to see what would've happened if Bowers and Fuaga were both on the board at 14. Every mock I saw had Fuaga going before 14. It didn't seem like he was in play. On the other hand I saw Bowers falling to us in several mocks. I was hoping Bowers would fall to us so we could either draft him or trade down because some team really wanted him. But that was all predicated on Fuaga not being available. To me this was a no brainer. If the knock on him is that he might be just an elite Guard then to me that's not much of a knock considering we need Tackles and Guards. Keep building up the trenches and give me the most boring draft of all time.

Fuaga was a good pick. You know he is a starting caliber RT. Looks like he can get u decent snaps at LT if you in a pinch. He also has the interior flexibility. He definitely be a two contract player. I think we go DT in the 2nd round. Theres a alot of value of the guys thats left on the board. Some good players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom