Quick thoughts on the selection of Fuaga (1 Viewer)

We were going OL
I said about four months ago that we basically have been rotating between offense and defense every year with our first two picks. Last year is was defense so this year it’s offense.
As for OL, I think it depends on best player available.
I also see us trading next years 2nd and two 5ths from this year to move back up into the second to get another player.

I’m glad it went like it went. When you have three holes in the OL, you go OL. BPA works only when all the players at key positions are decent. You’re only as good as your weakest link

I’m happy that Fuaga was there and was the pick. Your QB becomes more effective. Your WRs have that extra half second. Your RB has that much bigger of a hole. Carr is the the fast QB that Brees was. He needs that extra half second. And you cannot tell me the saints line is not needing massive help. Peat gone Ram a question no guard. So even if Penning is able to turn it around, which I believe he can, that still leaves guard and Ram’s replacement. And Fuaga is a beast

We were going OL
Only after Bowers was gone. Had they only been after Fuaga they wouldn’t have burned their entire clock. Option 1A was Bowers then option two was a trade down and finally option three was selecting the best available OT in Fuaga. Nothing wrong with exploring all their options. Consensus says Fuaga is an excellent choice.

It’s really hard to know what the Saints would’ve done had Vegas taken a defensive player. I, like you, was hoping for Bowers to fall that one more spot, but I also would've called RT the “biggest need” for NO (even though I hate drafting that way) and IMO Fuaga was the top RT prospect in the class - so I could also see NO letting Bowers slide another spot to stay on Fuaga as the target.

All things considered, it seemed like the right marriage of an OL room you HAVE to improve and a top 10 caliber prospect. I would call it a win in theory, now let’s just hope he lives up to talent.

Here is what Mike Martz had to say about him. I value his opinion and excited about Fuaga.

He's a 10 year guy. High Floor, above average ceiling, but he's a bookend at RT for a decade and if not RT, G. What I also failed to mention is the scheme fit, there's little projection with him in the scheme. He ran Wide Zone concepts at Oregon, that was their bread and butter so he's about as plug and play as they come.

He's a 10 year guy. High Floor, above average ceiling, but he's a bookend at RT for a decade and if not RT, G. What I also failed to mention is the scheme fit, there's little projection with him in the scheme. He ran Wide Zone concepts at Oregon, that was their bread and butter so he's about as plug and play as they come.
From what I've seen, he was the best scheme fit for us in the Class. Fautanu would probably be close, but he had the degenerative knee issue.

That Video has me excited for this year, thats saying a lot from a RT. Bowers is another TE on the Raiders, be gone with him. It's like if you favorite beer isn't available isn't at dinner, you just move on to the next choice, all these top 20 guys are GReat, We got a great one !. . .maybe the Raiders did or didn't choice is over now. Enjoyed your post though !

Of course it seems pretty obvious to someone, who wrote long pre-draft post about how they were certain the Saints were targeting Bowers, that Bowers was the Saints preference.
Lol, you mad bro? Some of y’all are really weird about stuff. 1% of the post was about that and that’s what you quote and comment?

Also, there’s a difference between preference and targeting.

My original post suggested the best case scenario would have been Bowers, it wasn’t the only scenario. Dennis Allen and Underhill confirmed Bowers would have been selected if he was there lol.

Man I love being a turtle

Only after Bowers was gone. Had they only been after Fuaga they wouldn’t have burned their entire clock. Option 1A was Bowers then option two was a trade down and finally option three was selecting the best available OT in Fuaga. Nothing wrong with exploring all their options. Consensus says Fuaga is an excellent choice.
My take is that we probably would have taken BB. I think they did not expect him to get past the Jets @ 10. It got interesting when ATL took Penix and more interesting when SP took Nix. So they though there would be a decent chance that BB would still be there @ 14. I think that Fuaga was the OT they thought they would take if BB was not there, When LV took BB we just went back to the original plan to take TF. We just listened to the trade back offers. They were not good enough to take a chance on missing out on the the guy they originally wanted in Fuaga

Nah, I think if Bowers was there they definitely would have taken him. San Fran and the 2021 Vikings both value skill position players over OL (opposite of Paytons scheme over the years). There's enough data that pointing to Bowers being the pick if the Raiders didn't take him.
Why do you think we were going Bowrrs??

Unless you are inside the offices, you have no idea.

Teams often say things that aren’t true but they want to put out there for strategy.

We could have been 1000% on Fugua but thought 12/13 might get him…..so they toss Bowers info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom