N/S Sick to my Stomach (1 Viewer)

I'm curious how much that changes the remaining trajectory of that 2017 draft.

Arguably the greatest draft in Saints history......but without knowing what the Saints would've had to give up to move into that spot for Mahomes, who do we NOT end up with?

Obviously we don't end up with Lattimore......but do we still get Kamara?

Or is it merely a case of "who cares, we got Mahomes...everything else can figure itself out over the next few seasons"? That 2017 draft literally took us from the usual 7-9 nonsense to SB contender as the season wore on..
That's the second part of the "what if?" for the 2017 draft. The players the Saints did take elevated them to four straight division titles. Take away Lattimore for Mahomes, does the defense improve enough in 2017 to win the division, or do they miss the playoffs for the fourth year in a row? And if they missed the playoffs, would Payton have even been back in 2018?

Or, having taken a quarterback with the Lattimore pick, would they then look for a corner at the bottom of the round, where they ended up taking Ramczyk? How much of a butterfly effect would there have been on the rest of the draft?

Does Drew retire sooner, or leave for a different team? There were a lot of teams circling like vultures in case he became available. Do the awful playoff losses never happen?

Imagine being a Panthers fan, missed out on Stroud and would have had your pick of Caleb/Maye/JD this year if you hadn't made that trade last year. Instead you're stuck with Bryce.

Yep.. except even worse missing out on grabbing Mahomes becuase- while im no expert talent evaluator- many many people whom are way smarter than myself think that Mahomes will eventually be, and may already be- the best player to ever put on a football uniform at any position, in any era .

Alex Smith in 2017 with Spags defense probably finds himself in the Super Bowl too...lol. I don't know what you saw but I just saw the defense win the AFC Championship for the Chiefs, as they did absolutely nothing in the 2nd half, which has been their problem all season.
While this is true bc the Chiefs have a great defense and their offense is almost void of playmakers, let’s not downplay Mahomes at all. In 113 games (regular season/playoffs), he and his team has lost by 8 points or more only 4 times. Going to guess that 80/85% of that was when they didn’t have this level of defense. Long story short, never bet against Pat Mahomes. He is that ELITE. It says something when the opposing team can’t even stop a team with 1 great TE, almost good RB and that’s it. He finds a way to win.

That's the second part of the "what if?" for the 2017 draft. The players the Saints did take elevated them to four straight division titles. Take away Lattimore for Mahomes, does the defense improve enough in 2017 to win the division, or do they miss the playoffs for the fourth year in a row? And if they missed the playoffs, would Payton have even been back in 2018?

Or, having taken a quarterback with the Lattimore pick, would they then look for a corner at the bottom of the round, where they ended up taking Ramczyk? How much of a butterfly effect would there have been on the rest of the draft?

Does Drew retire sooner, or leave for a different team? There were a lot of teams circling like vultures in case he became available. Do the awful playoff losses never happen?
Mahomes is the great equalizer, bro. I don't even think our defense has to be as stout as it was during the years if we had gotten Pat.

He won two chips with a defense similar to what we had in 09.
Now he has a really good defense. That's scary.

I realize ur not supposed to dwell on these things.. and so i dont.. BUT as a lifelong Saints fan, as im sure most of us are.. and as a season ticket holder, which im sure many of us are- when i do let my mind wander, and i watch Mahomes play.. and i think about how badly Payton wanted him, and how close we were to getting him.. it makes me nauseous because these are the types of things that change organizations, and change entire cities.. There’s simply no WAY Payton ever leaves NOLA if we draft Mahomes.. imagine a world where Mahomes sits behind Brees for a couple years, much as he did behind Alex Freaking Smith.. then becomes the starter.. in this world, the unthinkable happens- the team actually improves on Brees .. we UPGRADE over Drew Brees…. We become an absolute machine AND there’s an excellent chance we are playing in the Super Bowl next year in our home Dome, competing for probably our fourth or fifth Super Bowl win in that game …. Ok im not gonna think about it anymore .
As long as he could field a defense too. Spagnoulo is part of the story too in so many Super Bowl appearances.

I realize ur not supposed to dwell on these things.. and so i dont.. BUT as a lifelong Saints fan, as im sure most of us are.. and as a season ticket holder, which im sure many of us are- when i do let my mind wander, and i watch Mahomes play.. and i think about how badly Payton wanted him, and how close we were to getting him.. it makes me nauseous because these are the types of things that change organizations, and change entire cities.. There’s simply no WAY Payton ever leaves NOLA if we draft Mahomes.. imagine a world where Mahomes sits behind Brees for a couple years, much as he did behind Alex Freaking Smith.. then becomes the starter.. in this world, the unthinkable happens- the team actually improves on Brees .. we UPGRADE over Drew Brees…. We become an absolute machine AND there’s an excellent chance we are playing in the Super Bowl next year in our home Dome, competing for probably our fourth or fifth Super Bowl win in that game …. Ok im not gonna think about it anymore .
It's one of the reasons that I am absolutely convinced that we are a cursed organization. It's infuriating. We don't deserve this level of misery and frustration but the gods of football laugh constantly as they mock us.

Payton more than wanted Mahomes that year. There’s a reason Drew’s in the draft room for that 1st round pick.

While this is true bc the Chiefs have a great defense and their offense is almost void of playmakers, let’s not downplay Mahomes at all. In 113 games (regular season/playoffs), he and his team has lost by 8 points or more only 4 times. Going to guess that 80/85% of that was when they didn’t have this level of defense. Long story short, never bet against Pat Mahomes. He is that ELITE. It says something when the opposing team can’t even stop a team with 1 great TE, almost good RB and that’s it. He finds a way to win.
I'm not downplaying Mahomes. All I'm saying that in the 5 years that Alex Smith was a Chief, he and his team only lost by 8 or more points 8 times, and this is with WRs similar to what he had to play with this season for majority of his time there. I mean, let's look at how the playoffs went.

-2013: Scored 44 points against the Colts and lost
-2014: Went 9-7 and missed the playoffs
-2015: Lost to the Patriots by 7
-2016: Lost to Pittsburgh by 2 (converted game tying 2-point conversion but holding penalty killed it)
-2017: Went up 21-3 at halftime against the Titans. Lost 22-21. (opposite of what happened yesterday..lol)

When you really break things down, Smith got a raw deal in Kansas City..lol. If Alex Smith got another season with that squad, it would have been interesting but we know what happened. Mahomes threw 50 touchdown and won MVP while only winning 2 more games than the season prior and winning a playoff game. Then came Spags...lol

How many of you would have been ok with the Saints trading away Brees to help bolster the roster if we would have drafted Mahomes because that's what would have been needed because no way would you just stash Mahomes as a backup for 4+ years

It's a very calming experience once one comes to terms with their fate. In this instance, it was not meant to be and as a result, the Chiefs are on the precipice of being a dynasty and the Saints are on the fast track to nowhere and insignificance for the foreseeable future. I just let it go........

Until I drink too much alcohol, think about it with my foggy brain and let it rent space in my head for free for too long.

I just cried … Cause what’s happened instead is we gave into a coach that lost the locker room and won’t admit to it and which caused our legend of a GM to tarnish his legacy sticking up for him.

I came here because I was originally a Reggie Bush fan. Stayed because God knows how much I loved what Drew and Sean did and meant to this City. We lost Sprites but I fell in Love with Kamara , Lost Graham fell in love with Thomas , Lost Vilma fell in love with Marshonn Lattimore.

And here we are , without an offensive coordinator while the Chiefs are in the brink of winning yet another championship with the one that got away.

We’ve endured some tough times together

BeastQuake
Alex Smith growing legs outta nowhere
The Legion of Boom Era
The Minneapolis Miracle
The No Call
The Pushoff No Call
The one that got away

I can endure the losses on the field. I’m having a harder time stomaching the way DA and Loomis are doing things than all those losses combined.

They Jobbed Jameis
And prop up a QB and Coach who threw his own team and players under the bus time and time again.

Damn shame. Mike Tomlin would’ve gotten this Roster to the conference championship at least.

It's one of the reasons that I am absolutely convinced that we are a cursed organization. It's infuriating. We don't deserve this level of misery and frustration but the gods of football laugh constantly as they mock us.
Ugh. We are literally the Portland Trail Blazers of the NFL. All of those what-ifs & only 1 ring to show for it.

Does this option have No Travis Kelce? I couldn't take the Taylor stuff if that were the case. Mahomes seems to rely heavily on TE, I remember his time at TT and he relied heavily on very tall WR's and threw picks like they were candy as I mentioned before in an old thread.

IDK if I'll watch. Leaning towards no, but a celebrity at a championship game will not impact that decision.

I'm more concerned with the state of the officiating and failure to honor an implied fairness to the customer. Seems like maybe they like it how it is and know if they get everyone complaining about Taylor and Travis they won't be complaining about integral parts of the game.

I'm not downplaying Mahomes. All I'm saying that in the 5 years that Alex Smith was a Chief, he and his team only lost by 8 or more points 8 times, and this is with WRs similar to what he had to play with this season for majority of his time there. I mean, let's look at how the playoffs went.

-2013: Scored 44 points against the Colts and lost
-2014: Went 9-7 and missed the playoffs
-2015: Lost to the Patriots by 7
-2016: Lost to Pittsburgh by 2 (converted game tying 2-point conversion but holding penalty killed it)
-2017: Went up 21-3 at halftime against the Titans. Lost 22-21. (opposite of what happened yesterday..lol)

When you really break things down, Smith got a raw deal in Kansas City..lol. If Alex Smith got another season with that squad, it would have been interesting but we know what happened. Mahomes threw 50 touchdown and won MVP while only winning 2 more games than the season prior and winning a playoff game. Then came Spags...lol

Chiefs had a better defense before Mahomes became the starter. No doubt his defense is playing lights out this year, but Mahomes is on a whole another level than Alex Smith. Cant say if Smith would be able to do what Pat is doing, but this kid is a winner plain and simple.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom