Saints Draft Spencer Rattler : How do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

Saints Draft Spencer Rattler : how do you like the pick?

• Love it

Votes: 97 24.4%
  • Like it

Votes: 110 27.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 90 22.6%
  • Hate it

Votes: 72 18.1%
  • Too soon to to tell

Votes: 29 7.3%

• Total voters
I hate it. We already have Haener. I’ve seen Rattler play and it’s unlikely he unseats Haener. I would’ve taken Jordan Travis or Michael Pratt a bit later. They still have Mekhi Wingo on board at DT and Johnny Wilson at WR we could’ve taken. Our first two picks were good solid picks overall and should help us but this was a waste and is not making us better as a team. We need the right skill players and DL.
It's pick 150, anyone they pick has a chance to not even make the team. At this point you take players you think have a high ceiling if they can develop. Especially with the future of QB is a question mark for this team long term. He can absolutely develop into a starting caliber QB and that is insane value out of the 5th round. They also still have picks coming up to address those other areas, and both those guys are still available at 170.

Oh no, he’s short! That never works out….
I think thats a bit lazy. Haven't seen many knocks on any recent QB prospects because if size alone, especially here...
If they were expecting Carr to get destroyed and knocked out of games, they would've kept Jameis.
You can get ineffective QB play for much cheaper than JW.

I hate it. We already have Haener. I’ve seen Rattler play and it’s unlikely he unseats Haener. I would’ve taken Jordan Travis or Michael Pratt a bit later. They still have Mekhi Wingo on board at DT and Johnny Wilson at WR we could’ve taken. Our first two picks were good solid picks overall and should help us but this was a waste and is not making us better as a team. We need the right skill players and DL.
Wingo and Wilson are still on the board at the Saints’ second 5th round pick (#170) right now. They didn’t miss out on them or any other player at a needed depth position with their three 5ths.

Credit to you. You were in on Rattler long ago.
And like you said: If you don’t have your long term QB answer, you should be taking (at least) a mid-round flyer on a QB every year.

Heck, if you do have your long term answer at QB, you probably should still be taking a mid-round shot at least every 2 years. You just never know what’s going to happen and the QB position is just that important.

And like you said: If you don’t have your long term QB answer, you should be taking (at least) a mid-round flyer on a QB every year.

Heck, if you do have your long term answer at QB, you probably should still be taking a mid-round shot at least every 2 years. You just never know what’s going to happen and the QB position is just that important.
Yes, this would be my strategy. I think they aren't approaching QB super aggressively but they keep throwing a ton in the pot every year and seeing if cream rises to the top. I like it. Another good side effect is they are hopefully honing their QB evaluation skills through this process. If it comes time to swing big maybe that helps them.

The position is too important.

Last edited:
Scratch as many lottery tickets off as you can until you hit a winning one. That’s my theory on drafting QBs and I’m sticking to it.

A pick spent on a QB is never a wasted pick because if you hit you solve a big problem

Scratch as many lottery tickets off as you can until you hit a winning one. That’s my theory on drafting QBs and I’m sticking to it.

A pick spent on a QB is never a wasted pick because if you hit you solve a big problem
Not just “”A” big problem, but “THE” big problem.

Here’s McGinn’s write up on him. Keep in mind, McGinn’s stuff tells the good and bad and can sometimes come across as really scathing. He includes all ends of the spectrum to paint a full picture. This is pretty glowing, all things considered.

7. SPENCER RATTLER, South Carolina (6-0, 211, 4.95, 2-3): Fifth-year senior. “He’s the most intriguing guy of those that are left,” said one scout. “He’s got a big f--king arm. He’s almost like a minor-league version of Caleb Williams. He’s not a runner, but he can make plays with his feet. He’s not a real tall guy but he plays bigger than he is. He’s got pretty big hands (9 7/8). He’s tough. He’s done a good job of redeeming himself. There were questions about his makeup from high school. The guy basically got shamed — benched, lost his job — on national TV. He’s been through the wringer. They like him at South Carolina. He brought something to the program. If this guy is your No. 2 you’re through-the-roof happy. He will probably have a chance to start based on the shortage of quarterbacks. I like him better than Nix.” Redshirted at Oklahoma behind Jalen Hurts, he started in 2020 and was the favorite for the Heisman Trophy entering 2021. He was benched after six games in favor of Williams, and after the season escaped what he famously labeled a “toxic situation” for the SEC. “He had four intentional groundings in the first half this year against (Texas) A&M,” said a second scout. “He had one of the worst offensive lines I’ve ever seen in SEC history. But that little sum----- has excellent arm talent. He can make all the throws. He’s mobile and can run.” Finished with a passer rating of 102.9 (113.9 for the Sooners, 95.8 for the Gamecocks). Also ran for 416 and 16 TDs. MVP of the Senior Bowl. “He’s a cut below Nix and Penix but he’s good,” said a third scout. “Could be a starter. Depends how he develops. It’s not like he was a stiff at (Oklahoma). He was a good player there, too. And he revived the South Carolina program. He’s a 6-footer; that’s why he’s second round.” From Phoenix. “Little pocket passer,” a fourth scout said. “Makes one read, erratic thrower, panics when things break down. He guns everything. Doesn’t have much accuracy or touch. He’s got a little bit of moxie but he’s just a nut the way he plays. He just runs into sacks. Doesn’t feel stuff. It's not good.“

Not a single pick so far that adds a spark to what was a bad offensive team last year. Only thing to like about this pick is Rattler can play, and we are at least looking for the future at QB.
When the Saints pick a QB in the first round, then they will show they are seriously looking at the future at QB.

They should do it every year until they have their franchise QB and they should do it in any round. Plus, Rattler has a lot more pure talent than Haener.
I meant we found good pieces in Howden and Perry to plug in. 5th and 6th.

I agree with your point tho.

I don't follow college ball.

That being said, with the number of QBs the Saints already have under contract (I'm not even gonna address the Peterman disaster), and the number of other needs we have, I just don't see how this isn't a wasted pick.

Peterman signed a 1 year/1M contract. He's a camp body. Why are yall freaking out about this

As he should. I think Haener has a shot to be a good backup, but I think he needs to win the job. Rattler has a world of talent. He may never put it together but at least Haener will be competing against a guy that has the talent to make him work for it. And, you never know one of them could end up developing into a good starter. Some even had Rattler ranked over Penix. I'd much rather take Rattler at 150 than Penix at 8.

I think it's always worth it to take a flyer on QB. You never know when one turns out to be Purdy or even better.
Agree, I believe rattler has a high chance at beating out anybody we have on the roster right now. He never really had a solid offensive team to work with. The saints at least give him the players to ball out with

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom