Saints Draft Spencer Rattler : How do you like the pick? (2 Viewers)

Saints Draft Spencer Rattler : how do you like the pick?

• Love it

Votes: 97 24.4%
  • Like it

Votes: 110 27.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 90 22.6%
  • Hate it

Votes: 72 18.1%
  • Too soon to to tell

Votes: 29 7.3%

• Total voters
I was just looking at next year’s draft class and the top QBs are Shadeur Sanders, Carson Beck, Cam Ward, and Quinn Ewers…IMO none of these guys are worth a 1st round pick, so good on us for taking a chance on a QB this year.

This video breakdown really demonstrates how limited Rattler’s options were at South Carolina. Just atrocious play calling, route designs, protection schemes, etc. and despite all that he still found a way to make plays. He’s clearly talented.

If you are looking for a QB that knows how to keep a play alive and run for his life while making plays. He’s your guy.

Team sources say they see Rattler as a high-upside pick. They like his big-time arm talent, instincts, athleticism, and irrational confidence. They love Rattler’s ability to ad lib and make plays off script. The big knock on Rattler is his erratic decision-making.

Sounds a lot like Brett Farve...

Team sources say they see Rattler as a high-upside pick. They like his big-time arm talent, instincts, athleticism, and irrational confidence. They love Rattler’s ability to ad lib and make plays off script. The big knock on Rattler is his erratic decision-making.

Sounds a lot like Brett Farve...

As I was describing Rattler to my dad, I ended up saying a shorter, more mobile Brett Favrvereruh.

Ive watched Rattler for a while, from OK to South C, & yeah…w/all that talent that was still on the board, im not a fan.

Positives: Rattler is accurate when everything’s blocked & on schedule. He also does go through his progressions when he has time. South C hasnt had the most talented team over the last few years & it did seem like Rattler was regularly running for his life. I personally dont see him as a running threat, but he’s a pretty mobile guy & has the ability to keep plays alive w/his legs. He’s also had a lot of moments where he’s shown the ability to stand tough a complete passes while getting absolutely leveled by the pass rush. & to a degree, Rattler has also shown the ability to lead & even elevate the talent around him, namely WR Xavier Legette, who was nothing until Rattler force fed him & turned him into a 1st RD WR.

Negatives: Rattler clearly has arm strength issues. Remember when some fans were hating on Haener, questioning his arm strength last season. Well, Rattler has an even lesser arm than Jake. His throws kind of float out of his hands vs coming out w/real velocity & zip. His deep balls consistently fall short of the target, forcing receivers to gear down, allowing DBs to catch up to the throws. Rattler’s fairly mobile, but he’s not very accurate on the hoof, nor does he have the athleticism to threaten defenses as a runner. His footwork is also really sloppy. He throws way too much off of his back foot & doesnt consistently step up in the pocket, even in clean situations.

Kubiak & Co. are gonna need time & patience w/Rattler. But if they can get that dude’s tech right & get him to be more consistent, “maybe” he could end up ultimately being the guy. But in my brutally honest opinion, i think Haener is a better QB & has a better chance at being our future QB1 than Rattler. Especially in Kubiak’s O. This is a pure project pick to me & though the upside exists, i still dont think our QB1 of the future is in the building.
I'm conflicted about the pick, so I appreciate you sharing your take.

I'm not impressed with the Saints QB room. DC4 is a solid average to slightly above average QB throughout his career. I have high hopes for Haener...but until he actually proves it, that's all it is...hopes. And while I'm hoping that the new staff sees similarities between Haener's and Purdy's skillsets (IMO), it's no guarantee Haener will achieve that level. Mond and Peterman are camp arms, IMO, who are only here because of prior familiarity with Kubiak.

In a nutshell, I guess I'm good with the competition....no one is being handed a position, they'll have to WIN it outright, even if the competition is somewhat dubious. I don't think the Saints have a franchise QB in the building, and I firmly believe that you take a flyer on a QB EVERY DAMN YEAR, until you find one. You either have one, or you're looking for one, and I know which category the Saints are in. I've got no issues burning a 5th rounder for a QB, the year after we burned a 4th (actually 2, if I remember correctly) to take a QB. These seem like low-risk high-reward selections, and eventually one will pan out. Draft another QB next year, ad nauseum, until someone finally seizes the position as a franchise QB. It's that important....

I always love draft day(s)

NFL Gm’s, Coaches, and other staff. You know, the professionals “this is a good fit, fills a need, and is great value for where we are at. This is our plan and we are sticking with it”

Fans on message board or social media “this is crazy, they don’t know what they’re doing, we had this need and that need”

Especially in the later rounds, truly cracks me up.

It's a 5th round pick. It is a crapshoot. You can't guarantee filling in spot, you just get lucky. So sure, why not. Let's see what Rattler's got.
San Francisco took a crapshoot shot on Brock Purdy. The last pick in the draft led his team to the NFC Championship game. New England took a crapshoot shot on Tom Brady. I can go on and on. I find it to be a great, sensible, crapshoot value pick in the 5th round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom