Jayden Daniels needs to be drafted by the Saints (2 Viewers)

Yeah... and Loomis and the Saints have no history of doing that. /sarcasm
It’s almost like you don’t know about the Saints rarity of drafting LSU players and are even less knowledge about the Saints drafting QBs in the first round.

Nick is behind and out of touch. Last week I saw mocks having Daniels in the 14-16 range. Now he’s probably too 10. And we all know when the draft gets closer QBs get a boost just for being a QB.
Nick just started doing the in-season college reporting. So, I would imagine it's partly due to lack of experience. College and NFL used to be similar, but has dramatically gone in different direction since the early 2010s. So, I wouldn't be so harsh out the gate on Nick.

I do understand the Nick-ism of his way of reporting Saints news.

I don't see any real reason to justify committing to Carr. He's not a 26 year old QB. Carr is 32 years old. We shouldn't become a nursing home for aging QBs. If we was aggressive and got Mahomes instead of letting him fall to us or being fine with a 35+ Drew. Our franchise would be insane right now and Payton would most certainly still be here.

If the BPA is Jayden Daniel. You should draft him.

The front office needs to realise they’re going to have to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds at some point. This coming draft would be the perfect time as we can let whoever sit behind Carr for a year. If we don’t draft a QB this time round because we’re ‘committed to Carr’ then I’ll lose any remaining faith in this FO. Hopefully they’re just pretending to support Carr.

Egregious errors aside, the Saints are only truly committed in a financial sense for two years, so drafting a QB in round one isn't as big of a stretch as some might think. If JD is BPA in the latter part of round one, it would make sense to draft him. Of course, if they like what they have in Haener, that would free them up to grab a lineman or other position of need.
If this team is in the 20s.. I just don't see how Jayden isn't BPA.

Jayden ability to develop and be coached up has been phenomenal. So, I think you really can't be go wrong. Just gotta be patient. His passing ability just keeps getting better and better as the season goes on even if he misses reads and holds on to the ball for safer passes.

The only thing that I don't like is the time to build chemistry and his reliance on continuity with his WR. He needs to have guys that'll stay with him 4-5 years. Rotating out WR every year will never help him grow.

The front office needs to realise they’re going to have to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds at some point. This coming draft would be the perfect time as we can let whoever sit behind Carr for a year. If we don’t draft a QB this time round because we’re ‘committed to Carr’ then I’ll lose any remaining faith in this FO. Hopefully they’re just pretending to support Carr.
Gotta send out bluffs. If you give out the slightest hint you're about to draft a QB. You'll get leaped.

Having a 35+ Drew and sitting on Mahomes to fall to us was dumb. If you want a QB or a particular QB prospect. The team to always trade up over is a either a team with no QB or a QB that's 35+ years old. We was a sitting duck in 2017.

If it cost you a future 3rd to get a franchise QB. You make a that deal.

Last edited:
If Daniels stays healthy in the NFL then he will be a MVP candidate annually.

He is just on a different level. I’ve never seen such a dynamic runner who throws as good of a deep ball and can still be accurate in the short passing game. He presses so much field every snap. Not sure how he doesnt go top 5.

First off, let me preface by saying I think Daniels is one of the best college football QB's in the country, no doubt, he has been absolutely incredible....

But his style of play, right now, would not work in the NFL for the long term, he wouldn't last a season running like he does now, that part of his game would not translate to the next level.....

That said, he is a good (not great) passing QB and he is improving, but the reason I could see him not being a top 5 or even 10 pick is because it's a calculated risk that he would be able to change his game to survive the NFL.....I'm not saying he can't or won't just that he is not going to be perceived as "NFL ready" as some of the other QB's......

Gotta send out bluffs. If you give out the slightest hint you're about to draft a QB. You'll get leaped.

Having a 35+ Drew and sitting on Mahomes to fall to us was dumb. If you want a QB or a particular QB prospect. The team to always trade up over is a either a team with no QB or a QB that's 35+ years old. We was a sitting duck in 2017.

If it cost you a future 3rd to get a franchise QB. You make a that deal.

It didn't help that Payton told anyone who would listen how much he loved Mahomes.

First off, let me preface by saying I think Daniels is one of the best college football QB's in the country, no doubt, he has been absolutely incredible....

But his style of play, right now, would not work in the NFL for the long term, he wouldn't last a season running like he does now, that part of his game would not translate to the next level.....

That said, he is a good (not great) passing QB and he is improving, but the reason I could see him not being a top 5 or even 10 pick is because it's a calculated risk that he would be able to change his game to survive the NFL.....I'm not saying he can't or won't just that he is not going to be perceived as "NFL ready" as some of the other QB's......

Have to check. Was this written in 2003?

I don't see any real reason to justify committing to Carr. He's not a 26 year old QB. Carr is 32 years old. We shouldn't become a nursing home for aging QBs. If we was aggressive and got Mahomes instead of letting him fall to us or being fine with a 35+ Drew. Our franchise would be insane right now and Payton would most certainly still be here.

If the BPA is Jayden Daniel. You should draft him.

Yeah, this makes no sense. If I recall correctly, Carr is under a "4 year" deal that really is more like a three year guaranteed. Daniels comes in next year and sits behind Derek his rookie year. Carr becomes a high paid backup in Daniels' year 2.

He's certainly an exciting prospect. He's a patient passer who holds on to the ball a little too long, but he's accurate and can extend plays. I like that he looks to throw first.

Looking to throw first is a big deal for a player like Daniels. If opponents frequently commit to spying him on passing downs, that's one less defender in coverage and he can take advantage.

Was thinking about Randall Cunningham's NFL career when coming up with comparisons to Daniels (EDIT: I see @bobad made the comparison earlier (y) ). Almost identical frames and builds, and when "time-adjusted", very similar skill sets. Cunningham had a big adjustment coming from UNLV to the NFL, and he became known for his highlight-reel "winging it" plays. But progressively, his pocket passing developed throughout his career. By mid-career with the Eagles, Cunningham had already finished second in the MVP voting twice and had thrown for 30 TDs in a season (1990). His downfall was getting hit in the pocket, not on the run -- between 1986 and 1992, Cunningham was sacked more than any other QB five times. He ended up retiring (the first time) after the 1995 season.

Then the Vikings came calling going into 1997, and Cunningham gave his career a second shot. He started 15 games in 1998 and led the NFL in passer rating -- and for a third time finished second in the MVP voting.

Anyway -- you can be tall, skinny and light and be effective in the NFL. Much less so if the line can't keep the QB upright, though.

Last edited:
The thing that stands out the most about Daniels is how much he has improved as a passer from last year. He wasn’t very good at all last year, and this year he’s dropping dimes all over the field. His running ability just takes him to a whole different level.

I agree but i think the risk of passing on him will present to be bigger than the risk of injury. He’s going to walk into the combine at 6’3 225 and run a 4.4. His tape is becoming like no other.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom