Jayden Daniels needs to be drafted by the Saints (1 Viewer)

Obviously an incredible runner but very difficult to evaluate as far as how his passing will translate to the pros. Here’s why:
1. His receivers are big and fast and are NFL quality. DBs are not. Guys get wide open.
2. He sees nothing but man to man coverage because of 1 above
3. Has not had to read zone coverages and throw into small windows
4. A down year for SEC defenses.
In his favor, looks to have the arm. He certainly will need to put on weight while maintaining his speed.
Here’s my argument
Far far higher ceiling than Carr
Care was the “safe” bet, low ceiling, lower floor than we thought. We have to reach at QB if we ever want this team to be great again. Daniels is worth it

I'm not even sure we've seen his top speed. He's one of those guys that runs fast enough to stay ahead of whoever is chasing him.
I don't know. He turned into a blur on that 85 yard run last night. That might have been top speed, but even so... only a couple CBs in the NFL could've caught him.
Having a QB who is that much of run threat can make up for sub-par OL play "if" the HC/OC don't ankle-chain him to the pocket with play design and playcalling.

My only worry with JD is how light he looks when he does get tackled. He gets thrown around easily and awkwardly. He'll have to be a LOT more selective and careful with his runs in the NFL for sure. But I think he has the arm talent with or without his wheels. THAT's something not every "running" QB can say. Not sure he could put much more meat on his frame. The pre-season scouts weren't wrong when they said his body type screams WR.

Wheels or no wheels, he will get hit in the NFL. Even elusive QBs take hits after they throw at least a dozen times a game. How will he hold up? I'd like my running QB to be built like a Josh Allen, big enough that when a LB hits him, the LB feels it too. That being said, the NFL is changing, especially at the QB position. I think the upside for one like Daniels is too good to pass up in the draft.

One thing is for sure though... whether it's JD or one of the other top prospects, this looks like a good class of QBs.

He had a great game last night!

He probably locked up the Heisman!

He is a lot better at going though his progressions this year. I've noticed in multiple games that he now goes through 2 - 3 reads before he takes off running.

He had a great game last night!

He probably locked up the Heisman!
I'd say he made his case. But you know how it is. I think it often comes down to which player (QB) is most marketable. Wouldn't surprise me to see Alabama's QB become the media favorite. He's come on strong the past few games. Not sure how that plays in, but if it does, Milroe won the head to head. The illegal hit Daniels took in that game could end up costing him.

• 1Like
Reactions: red
He's supposed to be 6'3". so he's probably going to be the first QB picked.

He has the skill set of Randall Cunningham but the mindset of RG III. I think it's possible that if a smart team takes him and protects his health, he could be a top 5 NFL QB.

How cool would it be to somehow draft Daniels and then double dip and pick up either Nabers or Thomas? We've seen at least two teams give the star QB his star receiver from college. That's worked out pretty darn good for them too.

I don't see any real reason to justify committing to Carr. He's not a 26 year old QB. Carr is 32 years old. We shouldn't become a nursing home for aging QBs. If we was aggressive and got Mahomes instead of letting him fall to us or being fine with a 35+ Drew. Our franchise would be insane right now and Payton would most certainly still be here.

If the BPA is Jayden Daniel. You should draft him.

I don't see any real reason to justify committing to Carr. He's not a 26 year old QB. Carr is 32 years old. We shouldn't become a nursing home for aging QBs. If we was aggressive and got Mahomes instead of letting him fall to us or being fine with a 35+ Drew. Our franchise would be insane right now and Payton would most certainly still be here.

If the BPA is Jayden Daniel. You should draft him.

Egregious errors aside, the Saints are only truly committed in a financial sense for two years, so drafting a QB in round one isn't as big of a stretch as some might think. If JD is BPA in the latter part of round one, it would make sense to draft him. Of course, if they like what they have in Haener, that would free them up to grab a lineman or other position of need.

I don't know. He turned into a blur on that 85 yard run last night. That might have been top speed, but even so... only a couple CBs in the NFL could've caught him.
Having a QB who is that much of run threat can make up for sub-par OL play "if" the HC/OC don't ankle-chain him to the pocket with play design and playcalling.

I would agree that was probably near it, but is still looked like he used enough to stay ahead with more in the tank.

Maybe that's his top speed after he puts on another 10-15lbs to get in the 220-225lbs range.

Nick is behind and out of touch. Last week I saw mocks having Daniels in the 14-16 range. Now he’s probably too 10. And we all know when the draft gets closer QBs get a boost just for being a QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom