X-Men '97 (new animated revival) Disney+ 2023 (2 Viewers)

Over the top soap opera mind bending nuttiness
Exactly what comics are supposed to be
No notes except for the crime of not powdering beignets

I haven’t had a stunned silence like that since the Jedi Night episode of Rebels

Last edited:
Alright, let me spoiler tag this:

1. The structure of this episode is incredible. It pulls you in with the soap opery goodness and then just gut punches you at the end with complete no holds barred destruction. And it's completely out nowhere. It gets your guard down (you're more concerned with the Rogue/Gambit/Magneto dynamic and the Genosha intrigue and then BAM. Loved it.

2. Beau Demayo, who was the showrunner and lead writer before getting fired* right before the series premiered, said that he wanted this season to start off nostalgic and familiar and then shatter that. This episode succeeded in that. He said his inspiration were things like the Tulsa Massacre or 9/11, where you have a sense of peace and prosperity that is then shattered by the hard reality of ultraviolence and hate. He did that really well here. We go from Genosha as a near mutant utopia to being obliterated.

3. Loved all the mutant cameos on Genosha. Glad Nightcrawler didn't die. Gambit was a gut punch and I think they may really keep him dead. I'm assuming Magneto survived somehow (I'm guessing Leech used his powers to dampen Magneto's getting the Sentinel to back off due to not reading him as an Omega Level Mutant).

4. The animation in this episode was slick. A lot of those motorcycle scenes reminded me of Akira.

*We still don't actually know why he was fired. Rumors are he's a toxic guy to work for and treats his staff pretty badly. It also probably doesn't help that he has an Only Fans page and likes showing his wiener to the masses. Regardless, he's clearly got a gift for writing X-Men, and he was able to finish Season 2 before he got canned, so that's good.

1. The structure of this episode is incredible. It pulls you in with the soap opery goodness and then just gut punches you at the end with complete no holds barred destruction. And it's completely out nowhere. It gets your guard down (you're more concerned with the Rogue/Gambit/Magneto dynamic and the Genosha intrigue and then BAM. Loved it.

2. Beau Demayo, who was the showrunner and lead writer before getting fired* right before the series premiered, said that he wanted this season to start off nostalgic and familiar and then shatter that. This episode succeeded in that. He said his inspiration were things like the Tulsa Massacre or 9/11, where you have a sense of peace and prosperity that is then shattered by the hard reality of ultraviolence and hate. He did that really well here. We go from Genosha as a near mutant utopia to being obliterated.

3. Loved all the mutant cameos on Genosha. Glad Nightcrawler didn't die. Gambit was a gut punch and I think they may really keep him dead. I'm assuming Magneto survived somehow (I'm guessing Leech used his powers to dampen Magneto's getting the Sentinel to back off due to not reading him as an Omega Level Mutant).

4. The animation in this episode was slick. A lot of those motorcycle scenes reminded me of Akira.

*We still don't actually know why he was fired. Rumors are he's a toxic guy to work for and treats his staff pretty badly. It also probably doesn't help that he has an Only Fans page and likes showing his wiener to the masses. Regardless, he's clearly got a gift for writing X-Men, and he was able to finish Season 2 before he got canned, so that's good.
With Cable popping up, I’m assuming some time stuff is going to come into play. They offed a bunch of characters, so I sorta expect some to come back that way. I also don’t believe Magneto is dead.

Even in the pre-#Metoo era, exposing one's self on their personal website was taking some enormously dangerous chances and risky to the point of being blackballed much less having a toxic personality and environment where your employees and staff are treated and seen like indentured servants. If indeed those rumors about his toxic persona have some truth to it.

And I think even last week was an okeydoke setup- breezy-cheesy intro and kinda serious bplot
But this I was just slack jawed for the last half (but I was ready for more clone love triangle quadrangle and we’re probably not getting any more of that)

Love the Akira pull

HOLY freakin SHEET.
That was absurdly good.
I am a big Gambit fan and that was a massive shock. I have no idea what that master mold 3 headed thing was, but damn that was some carnage it laid out...They really upped the stakes for a pretty great plot line.

This one was kind of a low key episode after last week's insanity, but it did serve to wrap up some lingering storylines to head into the broader Genosha fallout:

After all these decades, Nightcrawler has surpassed mere guest star and made the opening credits/official team member!

We get Prof X headed back to Earth. I've never been the biggest fan of the Shi'ar, so while I get that this episode had to happen to get Xavier back on the playing field on Earth, a lot of it bored me. Charles lecturing Deathbird on de-colonization was certainly...a way to spend runtime.

Generally preferred the Storm/Forge storyline and her getting her powers back. Love the switch to the black costume. That's always been one of my favorites.

Not sure how I feel about Sinister being behind the attack on Genosha. I get they want him as the big bad and I never expected it to be Cassandra Nova (writers flat out said it wouldn't be). There were hints about Bastion and he may still show up. We'll see.

Not the strongest episode this season, but there was some necessary homework to get Storm and Xavier back into the mix headed into the endgame.

I now think the silly jubilee/Storm episode exists so that this one can flow
And both sandwiching last week’s killer episode seems to work structurally

If anyone else didn't know who that was at the end

If anyone else didn't know who that was at the end

I'd been waiting for him to show since he got teased a few episodes back. He's a real butt crevasse and hasn't got a lot of play as a villain in media outside of comics despite Operation: Zero Tolerance being a pretty big storyline at the time. Interested to see what they do with him, for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom