X-Men '97 (new animated revival) Disney+ 2023 (1 Viewer)

I am going to need to hear Gambit's accent before I can pass judgement.
I’m like midway through S2 now, and maaaannnn are some of these voices cringe worthy

Wolverine sort of gives the X-Men that edge, that "nastiness", the comic book trope of the savage who has to or is forced to walk the straight line. Logan/Weapon X/Wolverine gives them an extra aura, that guy who will ask tough questions or call out another X-Men's stupidity. Wolverine doesn't suffer fools gladly because in his long, mostly patched-work memoried life, he's worked with extremely brutal, efficient, and very violent individuals like Deadpool, Mystique, Saber-tooth, so Xavier can't bullshirt or order Logan around like he can Summers. Because, IMHO, Xavier sort of suspects or believes Wolverine's past may have something to do with one of the X-Men's core missions, and that's the history of federal government knowing about the existence of mutants far earlier then they've admitted and experimentation on mutants like Wolverine.

Also, look at how Xavier talks to and reasons with Logan in the comic-books, TV series, and movies, he talks to him like a professional, not some young, impulsive, irrational hot-headed mutant who hasn't lived at all.

I know I am in the minority, and that's fine. But Wolverine is one of the reasons I stopped reading comics. Movie Wolverine is fine. But comic wolverine, to me, is the most boring character in the history of literature.

I’m like midway through S2 now, and maaaannnn are some of these voices cringe worthy
Yeah there is no doubt a lot of that. I think Storm might be the worst...
Some of the voice work is really good on the other hand, though too. Charles and Magnetto are pretty much perfect. Rogue and Beast too.

Some of the voice work is really good on the other hand, though too. Charles and Magnetto are pretty much perfect. Rogue and Beast too.
Yea she is so over the top

I forgot how much they covered in this series

Rogue's Southern accent is more then a little bit stereotypical and corny but it's appropriate for the time-period (early-late 90's) FOX Saturday morning series programming in which it was created.

Magneto's reasons for why he hates humanity and believes in mutant supremacy aren't really touched on in a way that makes him a lot more relatable and honestly, I can understand why and emphatize with he despises humanity and in the early 90's series, he comes across more like a intolerant bigot instead of being a mutant Jewish survivor of the Holocaust whose parents died at Auschwitz. Again, the Marvel X-Men movies in the 2000's and early 2010's did a much better job of giving viewers a insight into "explaining the hate". Again, in the early 90's, you werent going to see or have Magneto's complex, nuanced, and complicated backstory explained like it was in the comics, and his Jewish heritage was never revealed, and 30 years, open discussion/depictions of the Holocaust was still a very touchy, sensitive issue even in movies like Schindler's List, cartoons wouldn't even close to mentioning or discussing it.

Pretty good. A lot of nods to the comic and the Trial of Magneto story hit the high notes of the comic storylines.

I’m assuming that was Madelyn Pryor at the end which hopefully leads to one of my favorite comic storylines, Inferno.
I am vaguely remembering Sinister had Scott and Jean in the original series, so that would track from what I remember of her origin

I am vaguely remembering Sinister had Scott and Jean in the original series, so that would track from what I remember of her origin
Yeah, that was a major season, off-and-on Season 2 plot where both Magneto and Professor Xavier were both fooled by a now-alive, more evil, vindictive Morph under Sinister's control that either one was dying and needed the others have help, in Antarctica, sort of the series hinting at the introduction of the Savage Land, a hidden, prehistoric hunter-gatherer society where dinosaurs, Raptors, and Stegosaurus never went extrinct after the K-T boundary explosion in what's now the Yucatan Peninsula 65 million years ago. Mr. Sinister actually has a vendetta against Xavier's ancestors dating back to the mid-19th century in Victorian England and part of his resentment was fueled by Xavier's ancestor unable to heal his sick wife and not respecting his radical psuedo-Darwinian genetic experiments that got so extreme Xavier's ancestor got him disbarred from Royal College of Science and ridiculed within the context of mid-late 19th century scientific world. We have to keep in mind that, IIRC, Xavier's great-grandfather was a personal friend and colleague of Charles Darwin and even handed down an autographed copy of Origins of Species as a family heirloom.

Over Season 2, Xavier temporarily regains the use of his legs while mending long-held grievances with Magneto as they explore the Savage Land, until their caught and Sauron uses his trance-mind control ability to trick the other X-Men to come save him all the while, walking right into a trap and it mostly succeeds, but eventually the machine Sinister had been using to paralyze everyone else's mutant powers gets destroyed, and well, Sinister's goons get their collective arses kicked and at the end, the usually, calm-and-collected, professional Cyclops kind of loses control due to Sinister's manipulation and psychological torture of Morph, and uses his eye-mask lasers to kill Sinister. If it hadn't been for Jean Grey and Professor X, Cyclops brutally destroys Mr. Sinister in a way that wouldve made Wolverine proud. In most of the X-Men comic book TV series adaptations, Mr. Sinister is maybe the one guy Cyclops truly despises because of how he made it personal with him and his girlfriend/wife Jean Grey.

Got to keep in mind, in the comics Cyclops and Jean Grey do have a daughter, Rachel Summers, who later takes on the mantle of her mother's super-powerful, godlike entity alter-ego, Phoenix.

I thought that was a pretty awesome follow up to the 2 part opener.
This show is really bringing some fast paced fun.
Animation, voice acting and music is great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom