Severe Weather 2024 (3 Viewers)

Is your part of Uptown not as low below sea level opposed to other major metro areas of New Orleans or is it like Algiers and other parts of the Northshore, above sea level?

A question based out of curiosity because this severe storm front/tornadoes/hail came through the Deep South this morning relatively quickly and fast and usually it floods in New Orleans when severe storms tend to linger and last for a while for several hours.

what happened this morning will be hard to describe without radar-

but we had a southerly component ahead of main line. So storms were coming up out SW/SSW in a training fashion and quite large. Slower than the main line.

Then the main frontal line merged with that SW/SSW component and created a mad downpour and circular motion.

but then moved on pretty fast. It was ust a ton of rain in short span

Is your part of Uptown not as low below sea level opposed to other major metro areas of New Orleans or is it like Algiers and other parts of the Northshore, above sea level?

A question based out of curiosity because this severe storm front/tornadoes/hail came through the Deep South this morning relatively quickly and fast and usually it floods in New Orleans when severe storms tend to linger and last for a while for several hours.
This part of the crescent - basically from uptown to the quarter- is built up from centuries of silt buildup (the ‘garden district’ is in the middle of that , so called bc the river silt made it very fertile)
Then basically from Claiborne to the lake it becomes a bowl

Various parts of New Orleans are lower and higher and some places have better or working pumps and others don't. But overall, places closer to the River are higher than the rest of the City. I'm guessing Guido lives close to the River.

Various parts of New Orleans are lower and higher and some places have better or working pumps and others don't. But overall, places closer to the River are higher than the rest of the City. I'm guessing Guido lives close to the River.
Thank you, that was very informative and I’m very appreciative. I’ve always known that Algiers parish as well as most parts of the North Shore ( Mandeville, Covington) were some of the only areas of greater New Orleans area that were above sea level but I wasn’t sure about other areas in downtown N.O. metro areas.

Thank you to elf and Guido for their replies as well too. I’m glad to hear you’re okay.

Thank you, that was very informative and I’m very appreciative. I’ve always known that Algiers parish as well as most parts of the North Shore ( Mandeville, Covington) were some of the only areas of greater New Orleans area that were above sea level but I wasn’t sure about other areas in downtown N.O. metro areas.

Thank you to elf and Guido for their replies as well too. I’m glad to hear you’re okay.
The “sliver on the river” is higher ground. There are ridges throughout the city as well.
I think that broadmore is the bowls bottom.

Algiers is not a parish. It is a part of Orleans parish on the west bank of the river.

What buzd said about Algiers/Orleans parish (the rest of the west band is Jeff parish)
Algiers has a BIG levee - without it the river would just flow right over it

In Algiers Point there is land riverside of the levee (it’s where one of the earlier slave markets was - but that’s story for another day)
Anyway in the Spring, when river levels rise, that land can almost disappear (maybe 200’ of land) up to the levee
It’s kinda fascinating to watch

I was on that storm from the west bank to Picayune. Produced a brief weak tornado in Slidell and Pearl River. Knew better to try and chase it through Stennis. Focused more on flooding after since it was a much bigger impact than tornadoes.

Sounds like storm chasers need to stash away a DOD ID card holder.

"As God is my witness, I thought that road would suddenly start going UPHILL thereby making the water shallower not deeper."

I live near a railroad under pass (probably the earlier part of the line shown in that picture) and it basically floods every time there is a hard rain. They even have a permanent depth marker by it showing how deep the water is. Despite that, almost every time it floods one or two cars will drive into it and get flooded.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom