Earth (1 Viewer)

SamAndreas

NSFW Warning >>
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I live in the mountains near Yosemite National Park. I don't have TV, a mountain to the south blocks any TV signal and any view of a TV satellite in orbit.

I have are windows instead of TV, and a forest with wildlife out there to watch. This is the kind of place where we keep our flat spots in a museum. Most places around here are tipped up sideways. There's a gorge to the east and north of me, and a canyon to the west,

I've created an Earth thread so when I see something interesting I have a place to mention it. If you see something interesting you have a place to mention it too. I like sharing this Earth.

If it rains 5 inches in a half hour I will tell you about it here. (it has) If there's an earthquake, a forest fire, or I step on a rattle snake...(I have) Every few days I'll have something to say here.

I don't mean this to just be my thread, it should be everyone's thread for them to talk about their Earth. If an alligator crosses your yard you be sure to let me know about it here.

:)

Our dog has been gone for a year now. So I'm substituting den of coyotes out in the yard for having a dog. It's kind of nice and most certainly different to have coyotes around who will allow one to occasionally see them. Not fade into invisibility like they were magic the moment one does happen to capture a rare glimpse.

I don't get to walk up to them and pet them. But I do get to see them once in a while at play in the yard for a few minutes. They will look at me and I will look at them. They don't run and hide the moment that happens.

They like the supplemental food I give them. But they always stay beyond arms reach. I think they like it that I have never tried to push into their space or try to touch them.

If I got a new dog that would end my association with the coyotes immediately. They would go back to disappearing like magic the moment I stepped out into the yard.

They are very dog like but they are not entirely like dogs. Like a donkey isn't quite a horse.

Don’t stop on rattlesnakes

OK, I'll sit down next to one instead:

One evening a couple years ago I went out to my porch and was about to sit down in my favorite nature watching spot. As I was leaning the counter as I sit down I noticed one of my tools on the counter was moving.

I had a couple of screwdrivers a small pry bar, other long things laid out on the counter. It was a young rattler laying in amoung those tools moving. It was stretched out long while it was drying out after having shed it skin. That's what saved me from being struck in the face, it had to coil before it could strike. I had time to get back up and step away.

For a day or two after they shed their skin they can't rattle, the rattle won't work because it's wet and soft. That's also the time when they are most likely to be out of their minds and a person is most likely to find them. It's like they're drunk.

It had come in an open window without a screen. I got it to go back out through that window, and just as it was
passing through that opening I slammed the window shut. That chopped it's head off.

If they're around my house, especially in my house, I kill them. Because if shoo them away they might come back.

If they're a 100 yards from the house, and not near a neighbors house, I leave them alone.

I looked around and found it's shed skin in a pile of damp towels and wash clothes which were next to go into the washing machine on the porch. Earlier that afternoon I had sat there for hours with that snake within three feet of where I sat.

I really want to explore the Sierras this next summer. I've been up near Whitney, had a damn good burger in Lone Pine - and camped out at Alabama Hills. I've also been to Yosemite a handful of times. That range is such a beautiful and remote area.

I'm in Salt Lake City. I frequent a trail around sundown many days that overlooks the city. I love being the last person on the mountain and walking down in the dark - listening and watching as nature comes alive. In the evening you can hear the Coyotes howling - and ironically Lions from the zoo roaring in the background (I wonder if they are communicating?). It's an eerie, sad, and beautiful evening song as the last light fades from the West.

I hate snakes...
Me too. I'm scared of them, won't touch them. But I have a wife who says they do good so don't kill them.

Except she say kill rattlesnakes if they are within 100 yards of the house.

OK, I'll sit down next to one instead:

One evening a couple years ago I went out to my porch and was about to sit down in my favorite nature watching spot. As I was leaning the counter as I sit down I noticed one of my tools on the counter was moving.

I had a couple of screwdrivers a small pry bar, other long things laid out on the counter. It was a young rattler laying in amoung those tools moving. It was stretched out long while it was drying out after having shed it skin. That's what saved me from being struck in the face, it had to coil before it could strike. I had time to get back up and step away.

For a day or two after they shed their skin they can't rattle, the rattle won't work because it's wet and soft. That's also the time when they are most likely to be out of their minds and a person is most likely to find them. It's like they're drunk.

It had come in an open window without a screen. I got it to go back out through that window, and just as it was
passing through that opening I slammed the window shut. That chopped it's head off.

If they're around my house, especially in my house, I kill them. Because if shoo them away they might come back.

If they're a 100 yards from the house, and not near a neighbors house, I leave them alone.

I looked around and found it's shed skin in a pile of damp towels and wash clothes which were next to go into the washing machine on the porch. Earlier that afternoon I had sat there for hours with that snake within three feet of where I sat.
After you burned your house to the ground, did you rebuild right on top or did you choose another location?

As the dog and I walked in the wee hours of this morning two small lights appeared on the distant horizon. They gave off a slight blue hue and steadily grew larger, not because of our approach but rather they seemed to be moving at a much faster speed.
Suddenly a smaller yellow light appeared beneath the left shining orb and it blinked ---on, off, on, off ---all the while the two bluish orbs seemed to speed towards us.
We began to sense a slight whooshing sound---much like wet fir branches rustling together on a windy day. the lights grew bigger....the yellow continued its choreographed blink.

The whoosh of the tires of the Amazon truck transformed into a soft squeal as it took a left turn on Letchworth Parkway.

As the dog and I walked in the wee hours of this morning two small lights appeared on the distant horizon. They gave off a slight blue hue and steadily grew larger, not because of our approach but rather they seemed to be moving at a much faster speed.
Suddenly a smaller yellow light appeared beneath the left shining orb and it blinked ---on, off, on, off ---all the while the two bluish orbs seemed to speed towards us.
We began to sense a slight whooshing sound---much like wet fir branches rustling together on a windy day. the lights grew bigger....the yellow continued its choreographed blink and the whoosh of the tires of the Amazon truck transformed into a soft squeal as it took a left turn on Letchworth Parway.
That is a great start to a book. I’ll be looking for regular installments O’ lock master.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom