NFL Sean Payton’s reputation among NFL fans (1 Viewer)

Those people bringing up Bounty Gate are usually Vikings fans still hurting from NFC Championship win.

All they have to pleasure themselves too is Miracle Whip in Minnesota that they did nothing with the following week.

Pathetic fan base . Almost as bad as Failcons and Cowgirls fans

In fairness, not that I agree with the severe overkill bounty punishment (it was definitely a witch hunt), but if the tables were turned and we lost a close NFC Championship Game in which Drew got hurt and it later came out that there was a bounty on him, I am pretty sure Saints fans would be just as angry and whiny about it years later on social media as well…especially if we were like them and still had never won a SB to this date.

Sometimes, many times, it’s good to envision yourself in other’s shoes before criticizing their behavior.

Sean Payton in Denver is equal to Jimmy Johnson in Miami. He was great in his previous position and will be good in his current.
That's a very big "if", IMHO. While Johnson didnt build Dolphins into a dynasty after Don Shula's retirement following the 1995 season, he drastically improved Miami's defense, which had always been a big problem under Shula since early 90's when they couldn't advance past the Divisional Round and why more talented, better depth teams always had Dolphins' number. Johnson drafted guys like Jason Taylor and improved the offensive line, and under JJ, Miami enjoyed three winning seasons with post-season berths and two seasons (1998 and 99) where they advanced to the Divisional Playoffs.

As you stated, if Johnson's tenure in Dallas in the early 90's could be classified as great or outstanding, his Dolphins' tenure was more along the lines of "good but capable of better". I think those late 90's Dolphins' teams had more then its fair share of untapped potential and unfortunately, during Johnson's tenure and especially with his successors, it got wasted because Miami became a second-rate team behind the now-ascendant Belicheck and Brady Patriots Dynasty. I also believe by the last few years of his NFL coaching career, Jimmy came to the realization that the game was passing him by and that he was going to be increasingly hard-pressed to survive or evolve in the newer, stranger world of 21st century NFL football and since his mother had developed health problems by 1999, he used the opportunity, plus Miami getting its arses collectively walloped by Jaguars, 72-10, to retire for good and become a popular, NFL pre-game studio talking head.

The jury is still very much out on how Payton will be able to turn Denver into contenders because he's the HC of a decent team that is same division as the new Dynasty team, Patrick Mahomes/Andy Reid Kansas City Chiefs--a team that will continue to be very good for the foreseeable future even when Reid finally retires. Kansas City will be remembered probably as being the most dominant, unbeatable team in the 2020's as Patriots were during the 2000's and 2010's. This is "their time" and even if Chiefs don't make it, other AFC contenders like Baltimore, and perhaps Buffalo and Cincinnati will be close behind taking their place.

Those people bringing up Bounty Gate are usually Vikings fans still hurting from NFC Championship win.

All they have to pleasure themselves too is Miracle Whip in Minnesota that they did nothing with the following week.

Pathetic fan base . Almost as bad as Failcons and Cowgirls fans
I say worse than Turds and tied with Girls as far as delusion.

In fairness, not that I agree with the severe overkill bounty punishment (it was definitely a witch hunt), but if the tables were turned and we lost a close NFC Championship Game in which Drew got hurt and it later came out that there was a bounty on him, I am pretty sure Saints fans would be just as angry and whiny about it years later on social media as well…especially if we were like them and still had never won a SB to this date.

Sometimes, many times, it’s good to envision yourself in other’s shoes before criticizing their behavior.

OK, where was the punishment for the Vikings and their party boat scandal ??? In all fairness

Where was the severe punishment for Tom Brady and the Patriots for Spy Gate, Deflate Gate, all the other Gates ??

Vikings fans shouldn't whine that much . I mean it's not like the officials robbed them of a second trip to the Super Bowl in the NFC Championship ?????

OK, where was the punishment for the Vikings and their party boat scandal ??? In all fairness

Where was the severe punishment for Tom Brady and the Patriots for Spy Gate, Deflate Gate, all the other Gates ??

Vikings fans shouldn't whine that much . I mean it's not like the officials robbed them of a second trip to the Super Bowl in the NFC Championship ?????

Where in my post did I deny any of this?

Why are you bringing up things completely unrelated to my post’s over-arching message for me to have to defend against?

I could care less what NFL fans think of CSP, I would take him back here in a heartbeat.....

How do you know SP is a good coach? He'll tell you. Also, everytime I look at my Super Bowl banner with the Saints name on it, I know he had something to do with it. Don't think I'll ever see another one of those winning banners with DA at the helm either. Fans are finicky and I don't think SP really cares what we think of him at the end of the day. He has a job to do and that's to try an put a winning product on the field.

In SP's tenure, every team in the division made the super bowl. This was arguably the toughest division to be a head coach in from 2010-2020 and the Saints still owned it. These past couple years there's been very little competition in the NFC. Only 1 or 2 teams sit above the rest of mediocrity. The division is terrible. If SP stayed, I think he would have a more favorable position than being in the AFC West right now.

I would take Payton over the current coaching regime in a heartbeat. As a head coach, he is two levels above Dennis Allen. And in judging talent and putting together a winning football team, he is two levels above Mickey Loomis.

However, Payton left the Saints because he knew the championship window had closed--the observation is neither positive nor negative but accurate.

And unless he wins a second Super Bowl, Sean will not see the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Nationally, he is remembered for Bountygate, which will cost him support. And I am not sure the local media, though generally supportive, will go all out to put Sean in the HOF. For years, he treated the local reporters poorly, though he was careful to stroke his favorites in the national media.

Love the culture and what Sean P brought to NOLA. Its truly night and day what his leadership brought to this organization.

However the way he left us will never be forgotten. He wasn't even gone for a full year from "retirement" before he was already looking for another role. This tells me he just wanted out of NOLA for whatever reason. After so many years of the reputation he built up, for him to leave like he did was totally disgraceful.

I hope he loses every game in Denver

Love the culture and what Sean P brought to NOLA. Its truly night and day what his leadership brought to this organization.

However the way he left us will never be forgotten. He wasn't even gone for a full year from "retirement" before he was already looking for another role. This tells me he just wanted out of NOLA for whatever reason. After so many years of the reputation he built up, for him to leave like he did was totally disgraceful.

I hope he loses every game in Denver
My feelings exactly!!!!

I look at it this way...the bigger bounty on Favre was put out by the NFL. "Trip to the SB" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "alleged $10k cash reward."

In SP's tenure, every team in the division made the super bowl. This was arguably the toughest division to be a head coach in from 2010-2020 and the Saints still owned it. These past couple years there's been very little competition in the NFC. Only 1 or 2 teams sit above the rest of mediocrity. The division is terrible. If SP stayed, I think he would have a more favorable position than being in the AFC West right now.

Yup, great point, and one I keep bringing up.....last year was a total unmitigated disaster when you actually consider the schedule and the division we played in.....train wreck.....the Saints under DA are great at winning games after things have already been decided....

However, Payton left the Saints because he knew the championship window had closed--the observation is neither positive nor negative but accurate.

It's not an "observation", and it's not a known "fact", it's your speculation about why he left. Passing it off as "accurate" is BS....you don't know nor do I.....

I think he left due to Gayle favoring Loomis over him in a power struggle but we likely will never know.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom