NFL Sean Payton’s reputation among NFL fans (1 Viewer)

Find any internet website with comments and the haters will come out. SP led the Saints to the highest point they have ever been. I hope DA can find near his level of success.
One thing I’ve learned is that every successful coach gets negative attention on the internet.
Except Madden.

Agreed but I truly think we won 2. The league robbed us of one of them, imo.

2011 hurt too. That was the best team we've ever had imo.

Oh and I love Sean, wish he'd have stayed forever, he's a douche canoe tho.
I think Sean saw the long, very painful road to rebuilding this team would have to go through in a glimpse throughout the 2021 season and he decided to leave, or quit, as some cynical, negative Saints fans at the time saw and perhaps still see it. Winning wasnt going to be quite such an easier, transparent task anymore without #9 so he'd retire for a year and rest up, like Belichick's doing now (or maybe forever) and return to some new-and-improved more "ready-to-win now" team that has more talent, depth, and resources that produce 10+ winning seasons faster.

I also believe that if we had drafted Patrick Mahomes and he eventually replaces Brees' after the 2018 season and he enjoys maybe 30-40% of the same success he's amassed in Kansas City, Payton is still Saints HC at Airline Dr. in Metairie. I think that also tells one all you need to know about his reasoning for "leaving" and that it wasnt coaching burn-out ala Dick Vermeil in Philly after the 1982 season, sleeping in his team headquarters office, not going home for weeks, allowing the cumulative mental/psychological stress to build up where it explodes one morning where he physically can't exit his car in the parking lot, Payton didnt want to coach "here" anymore on a team and squad, he felt wasnt going anywhere.

One thing I’ve learned is that every successful coach gets negative attention on the internet.
Except Madden.
I think with Payton's case, some of the resentment with some SR posters and Saints fans, revolves around how he left and his "reasoning" that he was burned-out when in reality, he got a new NFL HC job within a year in Denver and they retroactively, cast some suspicion on his original reasons for leaving in that he was "burned-out" from being Saints HC, not from football in general. This wasnt some major "burn-out" case like Dick Vermeil in Philly following the 1982 season and he leaves and doesn't return as an NFL HC for 14 years, or even Jim Mora's infamous, midseason quit during the 1996 season. He saw how long and difficult of a rebuilding job it was going to be here, post-Brees, so he left.

Still, however, I think if Payton had stayed for another season or two longer then he should've like Mora did, there's a decent chance he does end up having a major Vermeil-like burn-out, or has a infamous, Mora-like post-game profanity-laced histrionics press conference and perhaps Payton felt such an unfortunate incident was building up if he had stayed, so he left before it occured.

I also firmly believe if Payton had drafted Mahomes and he eventually takes over from a retired Brees in 2019 and achieves 40% of the same platitudes he's reached in Kansas City, Sean Payton is still reviewing his list of possible draft selections at Airline Dr. right now for next month's NFL Draft.

Last edited:
I think with Payton's case, some of the resentment with some SR posters and Saints fans, revolves around how he left and his "reasoning" that he was burned-out when in reality, he got a new NFL HC job within a year in Denver and they retroactively, cast some suspicion on his original reasons for leaving in that he was "burned-out" from being Saints HC, not from football in general. This wasnt some major "burn-out" case like Dick Vermeil in Philly following the 1982 season and he leaves and doesn't return as an NFL HC for 14 years, or even Jim Mora's infamous, midseason quit during the 1996 season. He saw how long and difficult of a rebuilding job it was going to be here, post-Brees, so he left.

Still, however, I think if Payton had stayed for another season or two longer then he should've like Mora did, there's a decent chance he does end up having a major Vermeil-like burn-out, or has a infamous, Mora-like post-game profanity-laced histrionics press conference and perhaps Payton felt such an unfortunate incident was building up if he had stayed, so he left before it occured.

I also firmly believe if Payton had drafted Mahomes and he eventually takes over from a retired Brees in 2019 and achieves 40% of the same platitudes he's reached in Kansas City, Sean Payton is still reviewing his list of possible draft selections at Airline Dr. right now for next month's NFL Draft.
I mean, when you look at the list if Super Bowl coaches, most do go onto another team.
And even during his retirement press conference, he said it was very likely he would return to another team.

I mean, when you look at the list if Super Bowl coaches, most do go onto another team.
And even during his retirement press conference, he said it was very likely he would return to another team.
Doesn't sound like a retirement press conference then does it?

Once we stop trying to trick ourselves then we can properly move on.

lol I just wish we'd stop discussing him he gone, done in New Orleans , he not investing any of him millions in our City like DB is, He got a a SuperBowl on the backs of Drew Brees and Greg Williams and could give 2 F's about New Orleans ..... move on people
$20 bucks says this pisses off a few people

There’s validity. While there was some stupid sheet that happened to the Saints in the playoffs we still should have more than one Super Bowl.

How many times watching a game have you yelled at the tv because SP was throwing the ball with a lead instead of running the ball?

He was always trying to be cute with the offense and outside of Saints fans there are a lot of fans that don’t like him.

I have been a Saints fan since the late 70’s and I will always be grateful for that super bowl and such a great ride, but I can still see the other side as well.

I think Sean saw the long, very painful road to rebuilding this team would have to go through in a glimpse throughout the 2021 season and he decided to leave, or quit, as some cynical, negative Saints fans at the time saw and perhaps still see it. Winning wasnt going to be quite such an easier, transparent task anymore without #9 so he'd retire for a year and rest up, like Belichick's doing now (or maybe forever) and return to some new-and-improved more "ready-to-win now" team that has more talent, depth, and resources that produce 10+ winning seasons faster.
I don't think it's cynical to say that he quit. You can word it however you want but that's what he did. As you described, he didn't want to rebuild so he quit, sat out a year, and then jumped back in. He didn't quit coaching, he simply quit the Saints.

He quit one rebuild only to find himself in the middle of another. The irony.

I don't know about everyone else, but that last season he coached with the Saints was amazing. With all the injuries and then starting FOUR different QBs and still managed to scrape together a 9-8 season? That's phenomenal.....that season alone notched it for me.

Some things I picked up on Facebook about what other fans think of Sean Payton, especially post Brees. It ain’t pretty

IMG_8456.jpeg

Those people bringing up Bounty Gate are usually Vikings fans still hurting from NFC Championship win.

All they have to pleasure themselves too is Miracle Whip in Minnesota that they did nothing with the following week.

Pathetic fan base . Almost as bad as Failcons and Cowgirls fans

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom