Saints Draft Jaylan Ford: How do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

Jaylen Ford : How do you like the pick?

• Love it

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Like it

Votes: 67 38.5%
  • Meh

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • Hate it

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 28 16.1%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
@BreesHOF2024 since you put the clown on my post

Real quick, name the last LBer we drafted who got a second contract? Without googling.
Ahh the classic, it doesn't happen often / at all, so there for they should never try argument.

Maybe that also has something to do with the fact that the Saints have been very good at finding quality LBers in FA and it has not often been a major need or focal point in the draft, therefore they pick more LBers late where its a crapshoot.

He was Allstate defensive player out of Frisco high school just outside of Dallas. He was a big big time recruit.
At this point in the draft, the Saints seem to go for potential that they think they can coach up. This has actually worked relatively well for them. Interestingly, when I look at Means' highlights, I see a guy who could possible be a tight end (if he can learn to block). With Ford, I see the possibility of a strong safety. Who knows, eh?

Jaylan Ford was a team captain and iron man who suited up in all 49 of his games for Texas, Ford (6'2/240) bowed out of the Senior Bowl due to injury and only performed jumps at the combine. He would go on to perform the full complement of movement tests at his pro day with a 4.71s 40-yard dash, 7.09s three-cone and 4.24s shuttle for a strong 8.30 RAS. One of the heavier LBs in this class at 240 pounds, Ford is a physical tone-setter in run support who is diligent about his gap responsibilities. His ability to read offensive concepts led to six interceptions the last two years, which is special ball production for a linebacker.

Tell me how this is a good pick(or bub means) when there’s so much talent available?

Christian Mahogany
Mekhi Wingo
Dylan Laube

All could have helped this team where they really need it.
We get it. They didn't select "your guy". The whole bunch of 'em should be fired on the spot.

Sheesh! LOL

I am old enough to remember 17 round drafts. I now look at a 5th round pick and the word is maybe a special teamer but probably won’t make the team.

Danny Abramowich was a17th round pick in 1967 and at one point he held the NFL record for most consecutive games catching at least one pass

Know zero about him. This write up isn't promising but we shall see.

NFL.com is pretty spot on with his weaknesses If you watch his game against Oklahoma 2023

Weaknesses
  • Below-average instincts and field awareness at times.
  • Lacks consistent command as a playmaker in the middle.
  • Will become impatient and run himself out of the play.
  • Below-average urgency to punch and play off of climbing blockers.
  • Occasionally loses focus on route development around him.

NFL.com is pretty spot on with his weaknesses If you watch his game against Oklahoma 2023

Weaknesses
  • Below-average instincts and field awareness at times.
  • Lacks consistent command as a playmaker in the middle.
  • Will become impatient and run himself out of the play.
  • Below-average urgency to punch and play off of climbing blockers.
  • Occasionally loses focus on route development around him.

Yikes

Ahh the classic, it doesn't happen often / at all, so there for they should never try argument.

Maybe that also has something to do with the fact that the Saints have been very good at finding quality LBers in FA and it has not often been a major need or focal point in the draft, therefore they pick more LBers late where its a crapshoot.
I'm just not gonna get excited and say I love the pick because year after year, we draft LBers who either disappear into irrelevance, or find contracts with other teams.

Does that change the fact that we need LBers behind aging Demario, Pete Werner in a contract year, or one year/FA day 1 rental Willie Gay? We need players to compete against for Special Teams and depth.

I voted meh because the guy has questionable tackling grades and he's a LBer drafted by this team. I hope he's the next DeMario Davis. I'm more hyped for Bub Means. I actually see a role for him.

I'm just not gonna get excited and say I love the pick because year after year, we draft LBers who either disappear into irrelevance, or find contracts with other teams.

Does that change the fact that we need LBers behind aging Demario, Pete Werner in a contract year, or one year/FA day 1 signing Willie Gay? We need players to compete against for Special Teams and depth.

I voted meh because the guy has questionable tackling grades and he's a LBer drafted by this team. I hope he's the next DeMario Davis. I'm more hyped for Bub Means. I actually see a role for him.
I’d say your assessment about our ability to draft linebackers is pretty spot on. I also voted meh on this pic too. There may be some upside, but he slowish by NFL standards to play Mike in today’s NFL, where linebackers are expected to cover sideline to sideline. He has great gap responsibility and is instinctual in coverage. I could totally see him playing special teams and being on the field occasionally depending on the packages that were running on defense, but I don’t think we anticipate him taking over for Davis unless he has some serious growth as a player before deMario retires.

Last edited:
I like this pick a lot too. Great value where we got him. I had seen him projected in the 5th round in a lot of mocks. He will be a nice rotational DT on run downs. He got short arms so he doesn’t get a lot of tackles but he’s big, strong, and quick for his size. He will eat up a lot of blockers and leave the gaps clear for linebackers to clean up tackles at the LOS.

I love this pick because I watched Jaylan Ford play and start in 2022, and he was an instant playmaker. He helped change the team culture.

Will he make the team? I'm curious. Guaranteed to the practice squad at the least. He's a good linebacker but I need to see it translate in the pros.
I will say, the UFDA Malcolm Roach thing worked. The Saints raised him from a bad Texas staff. Ford's had a far better staff. Like I say, take kids from Power schools. The evals are in scope.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom