Saints Ian Book: “I want to play like Drew Brees” (2 Viewers)

Just play like Ian Book. Dont try be a hero. Get in film room and pay attention to detail. Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance...Who Dat⚜
I broke down some film and he seems to be accurate but doesn't have a cannon for an arm.

I broke down some film and he seems to be accurate but doesn't have a cannon for an arm.
Yea you see the film his arm is kind of Brees like in college . One thing that stands out on his deep throws is that while the velocity isnt great the ball seems to hit his receivers out in front of them right in the hands . Like Brees I think he knows his arm is good enough , he just has to be accurate and on time with the throw . Also I noticed on tape that when his base and feet are set he can drill the ball in tight spots and make those 50 + yard throws . I think the mechanics and foot work is what Sean Payton needed to work on most with him .

Going off of his college highlights and the Senior Bowl, nothing impresses me about Book. I see way too much, first progression, maybe second, and then take off running. I don't see much 3 step drop and get rid of the ball. No quick passes at all. Also holds on to the ball too long. Of course he is a rookie and I know the coaches can coach him up but I will just wait and see.
As far as drops, progressions, etc in college, he’s doing what the coaches ask him to do.

Do you really think they called a quick pass and he decided to do something different.

As far as drops, progressions, etc in college, he’s doing what the coaches ask him to do.

Do you really think they called a quick pass and he decided to do something different.
So certain QB's shortcomings are because the coaches aren't calling the right plays? No matter what plays are called, a QB has to make the decision and decide. Go look at highlights, don't take my word on it. He is often scrambling after he drops back when he still has a pocket to throw from. He seems like he a too quick too abandon the pocket.

I do not see any poster essentially sizing Book up for his “gold jacket”. As typical, you are grasping for straws, for whatever the reason.

He may be something special, or could be a dud. I care to believe somewhere in the middle and hope he is a star. All said, I am not expecting much from him. I hope you expect he does well.
The unique opportunity this presents is that we now get to see Book in meaningful action with something on the line without having lost another starter to severe injury.

I also don’t expect much, but if he can manage the game and let his skill set shine when needed, it’ll be much more useful to coach in evaluating his future than any preseason film would.

That’s what this season has done, kid hasn’t even been active for most games and fans are already sizing up his gold jacket
Every QB on the roster has been sized up for their gold jacket by certain factions here. When in reality they all deserve a member’s only jacket. And they’re probably the last members.

I don’t think any of them are the future at QB, but I think Winston is the closest thing to that on the roster.

Book had to overcome a lot in college. Like having Brian Kelly as his HC (sorry Tiger fans).

But really I’ve been anxious to see what he can do. It’s been a crazy season and what better way to end a crazy season than to find out you have your next 10 yr + QB in the final few games. Anything can happen. Plus, it’s Christmas, folks. We deserve a miracle.

Book had to overcome a lot in college. Like having Brian Kelly as his HC (sorry Tiger fans).

But really I’ve been anxious to see what he can do. It’s been a crazy season and what better way to end a crazy season than to find out you have your next 10 yr + QB in the final few games. Anything can happen. Plus, it’s Christmas, folks. We deserve a miracle.
That would definitely be a Christmas miracle lol.

I have said all along if he plays this year he may not give the job up for a very long time . I still have that same feeling . If he manages the game and shows the promise Sean Payton and many others see in him or comes out on fire in his first start and gets the win how do you not play him the rest of the way ? We will see some rookie mistakes but I have a feeling we will see some magic too . I think he plays above expectations .

That’s what this season has done, kid hasn’t even been active for most games and fans are already sizing up his gold jacket
Exactly. I simply mentioned the weaknesses I saw in his highlights film which is PROBABLY what made him a fourth round pick and a few people on here got mad and said "Sean Payton must have not saw those things". No. He DID see those things, that's why he was picked in the fourth round. Lol. Everybody is praying for a savior because this has been a season from hell. That's the bottom line

Exactly. I simply mentioned the weaknesses I saw in his highlights film which is PROBABLY what made him a fourth round pick and a few people on here got mad and said "Sean Payton must have not saw those things". No. He DID see those things, that's why he was picked in the fourth round. Lol. Everybody is praying for a savior because this has been a season from hell. That's the bottom line
Logical argument, breaux; can’t argue. 🤔

Even so, UDFA’s have made it into the HOF (including QB Kurt Warner).

:gosaints:

The unique opportunity this presents is that we now get to see Book in meaningful action with something on the line without having lost another starter to severe injury.

I also don’t expect much, but if he can manage the game and let his skill set shine when needed, it’ll be much more useful to coach in evaluating his future than any preseason film would.
THIS! It is what is. Let’s roll with it. Could be key in making draft decisions, too

Probably why Tommy was selected in the sixth too, huh? Or Colston"s lack of talent pushed him to the 7th.
No I'm not comparing Book to these two - just that draft position does not tell the whole tale.

You Saints Report forumites and your crazy antics.

So he wants to play like Brees. That's a good thing. It means he wants to be smart and accurate with his throws, read the defense and win.

Why pick that apart. I'm excited for Ian and I want him to seize the opportunity.

At least he didn't say he wants to play like Bobby Hebert.

If Book can run the screen game well (something for some reason Taysom can't do) and get AK and Ingram involved in the passing game, we could have some success against Miami. This, of course, was one of Drew's strengths, so if Book wants to play like Drew, he should start there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom