I’m inclined to think the Saints would ideally like to leave this draft w/ Bowers (2 Viewers)

I think the Raiders taking Bowers at #13 has broken you.

The Saints and Pels making as many "stay mediocre and almost relevant" moves and decisions as possible... has dampened my spirits for sure... not broken... but on the verge of wanting to watch golf.

The Saints and Pels making as many "stay mediocre and almost relevant" moves and decisions as possible... has dampened my spirits for sure... not broken... but on the verge of wanting to watch golf.

Seriously. I think Bowers could be a great player, even Kittle level, but I'm not sure generational applies. There seems to be a guy very similar to him in the draft every year these days. I think it's because TE is becoming a glamour position and guys who might normally play other positions are looking to be TEs and coaches see them as like a Queen on a Chess board so are moving great athletes to the position. All the teen Swifities will be looking to date the TE, not the QB or DE in high school.

I'm disappointed not getting Bowers, but I think there will be other opportunities to get similar players if not in this draft then in the next few.

And, to be fair, they didn't make this move to not draft Bowers. The Raiders took him one pick before their pick. Could they have moved up? Maybe, but I don't think this team is one TE away from being good just like they aren't one OT away from being good. Would they have taken him at 14? Who knows. DA said there would have been a discussion, but we will never really know what they would have done.

Last edited:

To be fair, maybe if we had a decent OL, Carr never gets hurt and we win several more games because we don't have a QB playing with borken ribs or maybe if they could run block at all, we cruise to a win against Green Bay.

Any good player at any position could have made a game or two different. The margins are that fine in the NFL. But, no one player was getting this team far in the playoffs outside of Mahommes or Brees in his prime.

I know that.... I am being super cynical.

That said, with a guy like Bowers on the team last year... we likely get to 11 wins even with all the other issues.

I don't see Bowers making a two game difference with the sheetty scheme and sheetty OL we had last year with an injured QB playing for most of the year. I'd love some playmakers, but in the end I think what this team really needs to do is to be able to run the ball to free up the playmakers they already have. Olave and Shaheed could both be playmaking machines if teams don't have to ignore the run and if they are schemed open into space.

I know that.... I am being super cynical.

That said, with a guy like Bowers on the team last year... we likely get to 11 wins even with all the other issues.
Yea, the Raiders punked us on that one. Coulda been worse if Bowers was there and we still didn't pick him. The board would be in meltdown mode. Fuaga's a solid pick given who was available.

I don't see Bowers making a two game difference with the sheetty scheme and sheetty OL we had last year with an injured QB playing for most of the year. I'd love some playmakers, but in the end I think what this team really needs to do is to be able to run the ball to free up the playmakers they already have. Olave and Shaheed could both be playmaking machines if teams don't have to ignore the run and if they are schemed open into space.
I don’t know. I think a solid TE opens a lot and we possibly win 2-3 more games. But I also think better OLine play would have got us 2-3 more wins. So Im fine with the pick.

We had a solid TE last year, we minimized his role to keep Michael Thomas happy and get him his targets.
I don’t know. I think a solid TE opens a lot and we possibly win 2-3 more games. But I also think better OLine play would have got us 2-3 more wins. So Im fine with the pick.

We had a solid TE last year, we minimized his role to keep Michael Thomas happy and get him his targets.
I agree 1000% we should have used jimmy more in the Redzone. But I’m still not sure how much he would have helped stretch the middle of the defense elsewhere on the field. It always looked like the defense just crowed everything around the line and over the middle. To me anyways. So I would have liked bowers but I also wanted OLine and think Fuaga is going be really good. So I’m not upset about the pick in the slightest.

I agree 1000% we should have used jimmy more in the Redzone. But I’m still not sure how much he would have helped stretch the middle of the defense elsewhere on the field. It always looked like the defense just crowed everything around the line and over the middle. To me anyways. So I would have liked bowers but I also wanted OLine and think Fuaga is going be really good. So I’m not upset about the pick in the slightest.

Wasn't talking about Jimmy though I admit he was underutilized in the RZ. Talking about Johnson.

Here's a quote from DA that confirms they would have taken Bowers if he was there at 14, but they wreen't necessarily pressed for an olineman like has been insinuated so much over the last 2months. Fuaga married up and like I said, I can't be mad at the pick. Much like Bowers was considered the pick of the litter at his position, I have some information that suggest Fuaga was the better tackle out of Alt and Latham. So they, depending on who you ask, still ended up with the top prospect at a position of need. Unless you're just whining about not getting a guy you wanted, Fuaga was an excellent pick. He's potentially a 10 year starter. Would you have liked it to have been Bowers, absolutely, he would have done big things for us in the quick game, and likely chipped in as a blocker too but it's not like we ended up with trash.

“Did I go into this thinking, ‘Hey there’s a good chance we take a tackle at No. 14 and would feel really good about it?’ Yes. Did I feel like, ‘We had to take a tackle or else?’ No. Because there were some other good players,” Allen said. “Then as you watch the draft happen (with six QBs going in the top 12 picks), you feel a little bit more confident they’re gonna be there.”

Last edited:
Yeah that’s how how I feel about. They are both good players and the Saints wanted either. Did I want bowers if he was there at 14, yes but I got over my disappointment pretty quickly when we took Faugu. I would have been upset if we had went Wr there. But on a personal happiness scale I’m at a 9.9 with the pick. Would have been 10 with bowers but it’s whatever I’m not going complain.

Thankfully we are leaving the draft with someone that doesn't allow sacks and can move other players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom