I’m inclined to think the Saints would ideally like to leave this draft w/ Bowers (3 Viewers)

Yeah, that's the guys'point.

But comparing a TE's impact to a WR's impact with similar numbers is not an apples to apples comparison... Kittle averages less than 900 yards receiving a season... he impacts the game in ways a WR that averages 1200 yards a season can't. It's like trying to compare an elite DE's sack numbers to an elite DT's sack numbers.

But comparing a TE's impact to a WR's impact with similar numbers is not an apples to apples comparison... Kittle averages less than 900 yards receiving a season... he impacts the game in ways a WR that averages 1200 yards a season can't. It's like trying to compare an elite DE's sack numbers to an elite DT's sack numbers.

TEs that are legitimate receiving threats tend to take a Safety away from providing double coverage or deep coverage which opens up the field for the WRs. While the number production might not be as high, they allow the receivers to get deep and get chunks of yards.

Which is why it's so important that Bowers is also a credible inline blocker. If all he could do is split out they would just play more DBs to cover him. But the ability to be an inline blocker in the run game means that it helps you get defenses in more base sets and get more mis-matches for Bowers or other players.

TEs that are legitimate receiving threats tend to take a Safety away from providing double coverage or deep coverage which opens up the field for the WRs. While the number production might not be as high, they allow the receivers to get deep and get chunks of yards.

Which is why it's so important that Bowers is also a credible inline blocker. If all he could do is split out they would just play more DBs to cover him. But the ability to be an inline blocker in the run game means that it helps you get defenses in more base sets and get more mis-matches for Bowers or other players.
Right now, we have one TE who creates mismatches, and that's because he's the only credible threat at TE. And he's not even a TE. Sorry, but I don't buy the Juwan Johnson hype. The guy is either making incredible catches or he's completely and totally invisible. No in-between with him. Moreau is a good story, but Jimmy comes down with that touchdown 11/10 times. TE is a need whether the pundits see it or not.

Right now, we have one TE who creates mismatches, and that's because he's the only credible threat at TE. And he's not even a TE. Sorry, but I don't buy the Juwan Johnson hype. The guy is either making incredible catches or he's completely and totally invisible. No in-between with him. Moreau is a good story, but Jimmy comes down with that touchdown 11/10 times. TE is a need whether the pundits see it or not.

I think they are clearly missing a #1 TE. I don't think Johnson is ever going to be that guy because I don't think he's ever going to be a credible inline blocker and Moreau is a solid player, but he's a #2/#3 all-around TE that is more of a blocker than a receiver. Problem is that complete TEs are hard to find, but if they don't get Bowers I'd like to see them take a shot at Sinnott. We really haven't had a true #1 TE since Ben Watson left.

I think they are clearly missing a #1 TE. I don't think Johnson is ever going to be that guy because I don't think he's ever going to be a credible inline blocker and Moreau is a solid player, but he's a #2/#3 all-around TE that is more of a blocker than a receiver. Problem is that complete TEs are hard to find, but if they don't get Bowers I'd like to see them take a shot at Sinnott. We really haven't had a true #1 TE since Ben Watson left.
The bigger problem is that if you put Juwan and Foster together, they're still not equal to Josh Hill. We have Taysom at TE and then two guys who are #3s.

So wouldn’t a team draft Olinemen high to protect these HOF QBs? I would think so, but for half a decade they didn’t. Sure the QB skill level has something to do with it, but our Oline only gave up 38 sacks in 2022. Dalton was ranked as one of the safest QBs in the league, despite us not having at least 1 starter on the Oline in 11 of 17 games. If Penning was not considered a starter, then we didn’t field at least 1 starter for 17 games. How did we accomplish that much, with a QB well past his prime in Andy Dalton? Along with being a guy who should have never been a starting QB at that time. He was protected and claimed as “clean” on 71% of his passes.
Now, how did the same returning Olinemen completely forgot how to block in 2023 when we upgraded the QB position? Their efficiency dropped dramatically. The Oline started to click in week 12. Some can say it was bc we played terrible teams, but we had an easy schedule all year. So I’m not buying that. I firmly believe that our issues was coaching and miscommunication at the forefront.
With Brees especially in the early yrs we drafted EXTREMELY well @ OL in the late rounds and did so in 2-4 rounds later as well so there was no need to draft OL in the 1st. Dalton was the king of dink and dunk not many long passes which required more time
I am in complete agreement with you on the OL coaching Marrone was and is putrid

You dont skip over franchise QB’s for a bad coach.
I think there are only 2 maybe 3 potential very good QB's in this draft, Williams , Maye and maybe Daniels although I'm not so sure if JD's game will transfer to the NFL. JJ has not shown much of the skills needed in the NFL, not that he can't do it but he has not. Penix had lot's of talent around him especially on the OL and WR has had injury issues and is not so mobile. Nix has shown to be inconsistent throughout his whole career
Too many needs more than QB this yr especially when you'd be taking a shot @ a QB. Better to build a good group of young core players and then get your potential franchise QB

With Brees especially in the early yrs we drafted EXTREMELY well @ OL in the late rounds and did so in 2-4 rounds later as well so there was no need to draft OL in the 1st. Dalton was the king of dink and dunk not many long passes which required more time
I am in complete agreement with you on the OL coaching Marrone was and is putrid
The one thing Dalton did well was he only held the ball for 2.5 seconds. DC4 averaged 2.7 this last year.

If Bowers gets to 12 there's no reason to make a trade. It's unlikely SP takes him, he has much more pressing needs. Pretty much the same thing with LV
The biggest threat to take him before us are the Jets. So that means we'd have to move up to 9 and that would be too expensive at this point

That’s if no trades happen. Indy and Cincy are threats to trade up for Bowers if he falls past the Jet’s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom