Google Pixel (1 Viewer)

The rumor of it getting 7 years of updates has been confirmed

the google store has a few pre-order promos going on:

pixel 8 -> free pixel buds pro or $200 off pixel watch 2
pixel 8 pro -> free pixel watch 2 or free pixel buds pro

Bestbuy also has the same pre-order promos as above, but I they are giving a higher trade-in value for my pixel 7 vs the google store. The highest trade in values seem to be if you are trading in an iphone. Even a crappy 64Gb iphone se gen 3 gets you $450 trade in at bestbuy

edit: I've read if you are an existing google-fi customer you can get $400 off a pixel 8, but the trade-in values are much worse compared to the google store or best buy.

I was also going to suggest the "pixel pass" but looks like google killed it https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...pixel-pass-subscription-after-just-22-months/

this post has a chart comparing (some, but not all devices) google store vs best buy trade in values

also:

Last edited:
All of these new phones are underwhelming.
I'm on an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it is still running quite well. The iPhone 13/14/15 pro max have all been kinda boring IMO.
I was looking into the possibility of switching to android but I'm still kinda unimpressed overall. Everything is certainly BETTER but nothing out there has me actually wanting to buy.

BTW, MKBHD is wondring, "Can you trust Google?" and he's specifically calling out the 7 years of support.

All of these new phones are underwhelming.
I'm on an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it is still running quite well. The iPhone 13/14/15 pro max have all been kinda boring IMO.
I was looking into the possibility of switching to android but I'm still kinda unimpressed overall. Everything is certainly BETTER but nothing out there has me actually wanting to buy.

BTW, MKBHD is wondring, "Can you trust Google?" and he's specifically calling out the 7 years of support.

These days the new phone versions are more like small tweaks vs some revolutionary product. I got my mom an iphone 13, because that was the last one that had a physical sim card slot, and I think Esim is still kind of rough, and will be for a while.

7 years in theory is good, but realistically how many people keep their phones for that long? It would not surprise me if the norm is most people upgrade every 2, maybe 3 years. I can't imagine holding on to a crusty old phone for 7 years lol.

The most 'exciting' phones are (in my opinion) the foldables, but the prices are not for massmarket. Maybe in 5 or so years the prices will come down.

These days the new phone versions are more like small tweaks vs some revolutionary product. I got my mom an iphone 13, because that was the last one that had a physical sim card slot, and I think Esim is still kind of rough, and will be for a while.

7 years in theory is good, but realistically how many people keep their phones for that long? It would not surprise me if the norm is most people upgrade every 2, maybe 3 years. I can't imagine holding on to a crusty old phone for 7 years lol.

The most 'exciting' phones are (in my opinion) the foldables, but the prices are not for massmarket. Maybe in 5 or so years the prices will come down.
I ended up pre-ordering the Pixel 8 Pro with the free watch. With my trade-in, it'll actually come our cheaper than if I was to buy the Pixel 8 and watch together from my estimates. Part of my reason is the promise of updates for 7 years, not just security updates either. I like the idea of that Google is standing behind it that much (or until the Pixel 9 comes out next year).

The 8 pro is the best phone that I have owned. It's a significant upgrade over the 6 pro.

The watch 2 seems better than the original so far but I don't play with watches a lot. The crown hasn't had as many unintentional presses. The battery still had about 30% life remaining after about 32 hours on day 2. Once again, I don't play with the watch much.

I'm still on the fence. I also can't decide on a color even if I decided to get one (doesn't matter too much since I put all my phones in case lol). My pixel 7 is fine and I have no issue with it, but I also like new tech. I think if the base model of the pixel 8 was 256Gb instead of 128, it would be an easier decision and could justify the $100 bump in price vs the base pixel 7 cost.

I'm still on the 6. It works fine. I'm not sure it's worth an upgrade just yet. I'm definitely not signing a 3 year contract with anyone to get one.

I'm still on the 6. It works fine. I'm not sure it's worth an upgrade just yet. I'm definitely not signing a 3 year contract with anyone to get one.
same here.
the 6 just got the update to Android 14. i have like 6 months left to pay on this one maybe then I'll upgrade. I'll be with Verizon forever since I'm on the plan with the in-laws (the more people the less per month, 9 all together).

Early impressions of the P8P... It's awesome, especially compared to the P6. Might be the best camera I've used. I haven't tried video yet, but I hope they fixed that overheating problem.

I can't remember the last time I bought a phone on contract. Every phone I've bought the last 6 years or so have been unlocked from the manufacturer. Screw contracts and bloatware.

Last edited:
same here.
the 6 just got the update to Android 14. i have like 6 months left to pay on this one maybe then I'll upgrade. I'll be with Verizon forever since I'm on the plan with the in-laws (the more people the less per month, 9 all together).

I know it works for some, especially for families etc, but I could never do a 36 month contract...well "bill credits' as they call it these days. I always buy my phones unlocked and use a mvno, and based on past history, mvno prices usually tend to get cheaper (or you get more data for the same price) as the years go by.

I haven't tried video yet, but I hope they fixed that overheating problem.

apparently android 14 has resolved the battery and heat issues. I can't scientifically verify, but my pixel 7 does seem to run a lot cooler after the android 14 update

apparently android 14 has resolved the battery and heat issues. I can't scientifically verify, but my pixel 7 does seem to run a lot cooler after the android 14 update

Here's what was weird about it (at least on the P6). You'd get the overheating message and the phone is perfectly normal. It was a serious wtf moment that I eventually started to ignore.

I know it works for some, especially for families etc, but I could never do a 36 month contract...well "bill credits' as they call it these days. I always buy my phones unlocked and use a mvno, and based on past history, mvno prices usually tend to get cheaper (or you get more data for the same price) as the years go by.
for the last 7 or so years i was buying Motorola phones straight from Motorola, unlocked. for the price they were great. but i wanted the Pixel and $700+ was just a little out of my cash range.

for the last 7 or so years i was buying Motorola phones straight from Motorola, unlocked. for the price they were great. but i wanted the Pixel and $700+ was just a little out of my cash range.

The best time for phone deals usually happens around black friday/cyber monday. They might have some good trade-in deals for older devices around then too.

Or if you can wait until next May, google will probably launch the pixel 8a then. If it follows past "a" releases, they launch in May, and will have nearly the same internals, but will probably retain the cameras of the 7a series

But like i said, i'll be with Verizon forever anyway, so paying monthly and cash up front isn't any different in the long run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom