Google Pixel (1 Viewer)

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it if you have one? I hear the Android version is way cleaner than Samsung or others and no bloatware.
I am looking at maybe getting a 5a.

I was going to get the 5a but the 6 is just a few months away. My Note 8 is showing it's age. It's still a good phone but it isn't what it was.

The 5a doesn't do mmwave 5g which was disappointing, but it might not matter depending on your service provider and where you live.

I was going to get the 5a but the 6 is just a few months away. My Note 8 is showing it's age. It's still a good phone but it isn't what it was.

The 5a doesn't do mmwave 5g which was disappointing, but it might not matter depending on your service provider and where you live.
Yeah it is not a flagship model and does not have mmwave, but it is $449. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. The Galaxy S8 its replacing was much more expensive and this one will outperform it.

Yeah it is not a flagship model and does not have mmwave, but it is $449. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. The Galaxy S8 its replacing was much more expensive and this one will outperform it.
If it had mmWave I would have already bought one. It seems like a good phone and my note 8 is acting its age

If it had mmWave I would have already bought one. It seems like a good phone and my note 8 is acting its age
Yeah, I thought about the mmwave aspect, but if it turns out that ends up being a must have, I can probably trade in the 5a, and it was $449 vs the cost for a flagship phone. My old S8 battery just doesn't last like it used to and I like the more stripped down Google Android vs the Samsung bloat with stupid Bixby.

The main drawback I am seeing with the 5a is no wireless charging which I do like on the S8.

I have a pixel 2xl and it's hands down the best phone I've ever had and the reason I've kept it so long. I will keep it until it tears up then I'll get another pixel.

Had a pixel 3a, now 4a. I don't like samsung bloat. I think the pixel 6 looks pretty nice, but I don't think they will be small devices like the 3a/4a

I'm about to get the 5a. My Pixel 3 might not make it to get the Pixel 6.

Thinking of switching to Google Fi, however. Anyone has experience with its coverage? Pros? Cons?

Thinking of switching to Google Fi, however. Anyone has experience with its coverage? Pros? Cons?

I read google is having a hardware event on Oct 5th where it might be announced. But if the past is anything to go by, it'll be some weeks after that before it is actually sold.

Fi used to use sprint/tmobile/us cellular and seamlessly switched between the best network based on your location.
But since tmobile acquired sprint, it is only a matter of time before you'll mostly be on tmobile. They aren't officially shutting down (parts of) sprint network until next year

it is more expensive than most MVNOs but if you travel to other countries it is one of the best for roaming, depending on the plan chosen

at least for tmobile network, google fi has postpaid priority vs most other tmobile MVNOs

I picked up the 4a sometime just before the 5 came out. I've enjoyed it. It's a tough phone as well. I have it in a minimalistic case, with no screen protector. It gets dropped all the time and doesn't have a single scratch or been damaged in any way. Good battery life, good screen etc. I use it through Google's phone service as well. I had AT&T prior, which seemed to be better service overall, as far as signals go. However, I was tired of paying AT&T's high prices.

I've noticed that I do not get the same level of service with Google Fi as I did with AT&T. I hit a lot more dead spots in my area than I ever did before. Places that I would have 4 bars, are now 2 bars, etc etc. However, based on my usage, the switch was a good move even with the difference in coverage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom