Goodell ruined draft (1 Viewer)

It's Lift Every Voice and Sing, when I was younger when you would celebrate Martin Luther King's day or celebrate black history we would sing this song. It's the consider the "black national anthem" but it was more of our opening song, similar to how the national anthem. I agree is seems pandering as it feels more force and Alot of the younger generation, myself included, has kind of moved away because america now does feel more inclusive or trying too. With that said I have grandparents and aunts and uncles that take the song serious because they lived in that time period, before desegregation and the after math after, where they lived in fear based on something they cant control. It's our history but it was a time it was their present. Football my not be the best place for it now but I dont think the song should be dismissed or criticized because people dont know the history or it doesn't pertain to them.
What is the significance of it to be sang prior to the draft? MLK day makes plenty of sense, but before a football draft??

• 1Like
Reactions: max
What is the significance of it to be sang prior to the draft? MLK day makes plenty of sense, but before a football draft??
Maybe the draftees asked for it? In some peoples' opinion it's just as relevant as The Star Spangled Banner. Why play the National Anthem then, why play any song.

Last edited:
It was a real excrement show. Goodell made it all about himself with the whole opening bit. Can you imagine Paul Taglibue pulling that crap?

It was a real excrement show. Goodell made it all about himself with the whole opening bit. Can you imagine Paul Taglibue pulling that crap?
Nope, he would have said welcome to the draft, Chicago Bears are on the clock …. Nothing more, nothing less

• 1Like
Goodell stumbled and fumbled a lot reading from the prompter last night. I wonder if it was age or nerves from all the booing he got every time he stepped to the podium. Either way, it was very noticeable.

Goodell stumbled and fumbled a lot reading from the prompter last night. I wonder if it was age or nerves from all the booing he got every time he stepped to the podium. Either way, it was very noticeable.
Definitely noticed the slurring

Wasn’t nerves

I think he thrives on the boos like a wrestling heel

I'm not sure if you are trying to bait me but I will give you the best answer I can within the parameters of the forum. I personally believe it is a result of when players protested, which blacks makes up more then 50% of the league, and owners response were to basically shut up and dribble. Once receiving backlash I feel this is the owners, hey here some candy now go shut up and dribble, which is why i believe it's pandering. I dont think it's sincere. With that said I personally feel that instead of saying there shouldn't be a "Black National Anthem" Is asking why there is a "black national anthem". Lift every voice was written in 1900, MLK wasn't even born yet, It represents freedom to more generations then just MLK. Why would black people sing about "the home of the free" when they weren't free to use a certain water fountain, or sit in this space of the bus, or walk down this street. There are 2 "National Anthems" because of segregation there were essentially 2 America's . These people fought so we can do stuff like enjoy football together, collaborate, party together etc. Like I said I dont think its needed before the draft, but I wanted to share context on why it shouldn't ruin your draft experience.

I'm not sure if you are trying to bait me but I will give you the best answer I can within the parameters of the forum. I personally believe it is a result of when players protested, which blacks makes up more then 50% of the league, and owners response were to basically shut up and dribble. Once receiving backlash I feel this is the owners, hey here some candy now go shut up and dribble, which is why i believe it's pandering. I dont think it's sincere. With that said I personally feel that instead of saying there shouldn't be a "Black National Anthem" Is asking why there is a "black national anthem". Lift every voice was written in 1900, MLK wasn't even born yet, It represents freedom to more generations then just MLK. Why would black people sing about "the home of the free" when they weren't free to use a certain water fountain, or sit in this space of the bus, or walk down this street. There are 2 "National Anthems" because of segregation there were essentially 2 America's . These people fought so we can do stuff like enjoy football together, collaborate, party together etc. Like I said I dont think its needed before the draft, but I wanted to share context on why it shouldn't ruin your draft experience.
this is a good read.. especially the fact that people still run around in Confederate attire and wave Confederate flags around. the same ones who dislike this song are the same ones who are ok with people representing a treasonous defunct govt..

Good point but it almost seems like we fought to make every man equal, but then find a reason to continue to cause separation. Guess my point was, start the draft and keep it about football. To me, goodell is playing politician and has only blew fire into controversy in the league. Rule changes, playing judge juror and exuctioner..etc

If you are like me and had no clue what the song was, then you check your tv guide to make sure you are on the draft.

I just know this, she sang the sh-t out of that song. She is very talented. I enjoyed it myself.
Look at it like this. Don't be the tool who has listened to a song for years, loves the song, then finds out the singer is gay, etc., then you don't like the song anymore. It's rather shallow to be that way.

Man I’m black and I don’t wanna hear all that. Just start the draft bruh ! I hate all of this extra ish now to appease everyone. Wanna appease me ? Start the damn draft and end this woke ish !
I'm black and I hate that this inclusivity stuff, like we aren't who we are unless "they" recognize it.

I just know this, she sang the sh-t out of that song. She is very talented. I enjoyed it myself.
Look at it like this. Don't be the tool who has listened to a song for years, loves the song, then finds out the singer is gay, etc., then you don't like the song anymore. It's rather shallow to be that way.
Wth?

Still nfl draft is not a platform for politics/propaganda.

• 1Like

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom