You didn't tip for X in 2003 or 2013 -- should you tip for X in 2023? (1 Viewer)

Anyone remember like 10 years ago when some trash blogger tried stir up sheet because Drew Brees left a 10% tip on a to-go order?

Probably the worst part about the old anger at new tipping is that the target of the ire will be the least powerful/most vulnerable

I went to the Dome for the game today. not sure if they are new this year or not, but the when it asked for a tip after I bought my Coke Zero, I was like, what the heck.. I just paid $9 for a 32 oz drink..

on a side note, I really liked the self checkout at the Parish Pizza..

My son goes to weekly soccer training, they just installed a new piece of work system. You prepay for classes with a discount for more classes up front. I’m now getting prompted for a tip with the new system.

I keep clicking no, but at the same time realize I probably tip more for less work in other situations. On the other hand, most youth leagues use volunteer coaches that are unpaid, and I didn’t have a plan to tip them (should I)?

I tip generously but holy moley this is gettin’ out of hand. The default tips request is now 20% minimum at most places. How dare you force me to do math in figuring out 15%.

Reason 23181 I miss Japan. Zero tipping, ever. They pay their people appropriately to begin with.

I stood in line to buy a bottle of water at the airport. It was 7 flipping bucks. My flight was in the last stages of loading and I was thirsty so I bought it. The machine asked for a tip...in a retail store...that charged me $7 for 16oz of water.

I stood in line to buy a bottle of water at the airport. It was 7 flipping bucks. My flight was in the last stages of loading and I was thirsty so I bought it. The machine asked for a tip...in a retail store...that charged me $7 for 16oz of water.
This is the kind of thing that really gets to the heart of the OP. It's not complaining about tipping in general and it's not schmidting on the most vulnerable in our society. It's exactly this.

FWIW: One of the more well-known bakeries on the West Bank ... when you buy items to go over the counter and pay with a card, the machine tries to show you suggested tips. The employees there take it upon themselves to hurriedly swipe away from that screen so that the customer doesn't have to deal with it. And they do it consistently.

1692205696666.png

This is the kind of thing that really gets to the heart of the OP. It's not complaining about tipping in general and it's not schmidting on the most vulnerable in our society. It's exactly this.

FWIW: One of the more well-known bakeries on the West Bank ... when you buy items to go over the counter and pay with a card, the machine tries to show you suggested tips. The employees there take it upon themselves to hurriedly swipe away from that screen so that the customer doesn't have to deal with it. And they do it consistently.

1692205696666.png

At the airport I got the "the machine is going to ask you some questions"...

why would there be a different tip when eating outside vs inside?
Yeah, a weird meme from that perspective.

It also takes the thread away from the point of the OP — tipping wait staff is long established in the US and isn’t the issue called out in the OP’s cartoon.

A recent article from across the pond about the same general issues with touchscreen tipping. The UK had been less of a tipping culture than the US ... so I can understand if British consumers more acutely feel "sticker shock" from being prompted to tip at previously-untipped retailers.

Modern problems. IDK but a solution might include carrying cash for "simple" transactions less than $50-$100. Plus cash is always a better way to keep on a budget.

A bride-to-be was asked to tip after buying her wedding dress at a store in Utah, and it’s sparked another debate about tipping culture in the United States.

In a viral TikTok video, 30-year-old Ina Josipović shared with viewers her wedding dress shopping experience. Last year, she and her friend went shopping for her wedding dress and luckily found the perfect dress at the first store they went to. However, after she had purchased the dress, she was unexpectedly asked for a tip.

“Can we talk about tipping culture and the weirdest place that you’ve ever been asked to tip?” Josipović began the video. “I went shopping for my wedding dress like a week and a half ago and I ended up finding my dress at the first store that I went to. I’m not joking, when I went to go pay, they flipped their little iPad around and it asked for a tip.”

In the clip, Josipović noted that she and her friend were the only ones shopping in the store - along with three employees, including the store owner. “When I tell you I full-on froze, I stood there and I think they saw the blood leave my body,” she recalled. “I did not expect to have to tip buying a wedding dress.”

When Josipović turned to her friend and asked if she had been asked to tip when she bought her wedding dress the previous year, her friend replied no. The bride-to-be began to panic as she mentally calculated the tip percentage, which would amount to hundreds of dollars because the dress was already expensive.……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom