You didn't tip for X in 2003 or 2013 -- should you tip for X in 2023? (1 Viewer)

It needs to be completely done away along with $2 dollar wages.

Service industry is something Europe has done leagues better than US (and there are a lot of reasons for that that I won't get into, but it makes the whole transaction so much more pleasant).

I'm reading posts here and correlating whether the poster donates to SR.com or not.

Open your hearts and wallets people.

At least with coffee ... the tip should be cheap-ish. Seemed it wasn't that long ago you'd pay $2-something for an ordinary coffee and everyone was fine with you dropping the change into a jar. Even at Starbucks, PJs, etc.

I bet in 2023 ... baristas look dimly at coin-change tips. Of course, the floor for regular 'ol drip coffee is probably what these days? $4.00? I mean at places where they call staff 'baristas' (so not IHOP, Shoney's, Denny's, etc.).

Who remembers Brees getting roasted by some for tipping 3 bucks on a to-go order 10 years ago? i.e....very much in a pre-COVID world......plus when the dollar had a bit more value...

While some of us were probably looking around at the time like..."well damn, have i EVER tipped on a to-go order?" Not gonna say I *never* did prior to COVID, but on the rare times it happened, it would be something like the cost of everything was 18 and change......hand them a 20....and drop the buck and change into their tip jar near the cash register.

I am more likely to tip on a non-traditional transaction (take-out, etc) if I am in New Orleans. Keep the dollars circulating in the local economy.

Once I'm across the Parish line you'll get nothing and like it.

At least with coffee ... the tip should be cheap-ish. Seemed it wasn't that long ago you'd pay $2-something for an ordinary coffee and everyone was fine with you dropping the change into a jar. Even at Starbucks, PJs, etc.
we STRONGLY ENCOURAGED service industry to go to work during a global pandemic- huge paradigm shift

we STRONGLY ENCOURAGED service industry to go to work during a global pandemic- huge paradigm shift

Who's "we"? And what's an air-tight definition of "service industry"?

I assume plumbers, electricians, painters, service technicians, etc fall under "transactional services". There was 1 that got me when I went to pay for a new water heater, the total was $3300 and there was a tip line with 10% recommended. A $330 tip? I gave the 2 guys $20 each.

We also tip the lady that cuts our hair.
$3300 for a water heater? Wow!

Additionally: The "tip-line on the iPad" thing precedes the pandemic. Not by a lot -- earliest adopters were around 2017-18 and there wasn't enough critical mass to make it into comics and memes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom