You didn't tip for X in 2003 or 2013 -- should you tip for X in 2023? (2 Viewers)

Unless the service is REALLY bad, I generally overtip service industry workers. Most of them are working at sub-minimum wage as it is.

As far as laborers, I’ve never been approached for a tip, but when they’re replacing my roof in the dead of Summer, I’ll usually go grab some Gatorades and waters for them. I do usually tip my HVAC guy/gal when they come out in a time of crisis, but I have a “hookup” at the the company I use and the service charge is crazy low.

I don't get tips at work, so why should I tip? If employees need more money to survive, ask for a raise, or get a new career.

Bars and full service restaurants are different, but most everything else, fuhgettabouttit.

Can't believe this isn't here yet ..

transactional services = no tip
counter service (where they clean up a mess I leave) = 10% tip
to go at a full service restaurant = 15%
Full service restaurant = 20%

These are my baseline minimums, but I do go up depending on the level of service provided or my inebriation level.

why?

Tipping in a small town is much easier. Just this morning I paid $20 for my $15 haircut. The barber mentioned he was looking for some old gun racks to complete a rustic room he was building. I told him I had two and would drop them off for him. He said thanks and gave me 2 lbs of ground venison.

There is quite a bit that happens between when the kitchen produces your food and it is wrapped and ready for you to pick up.

Add to that (for better or worse) that the government makes certain assumptions about tip amounts based on sales amounts, so the mere act of service staff ringing something up makes certain assumptions about tip amounts.

And also, servers do a bunch of prep work - rolling silverware (or plastic ware), folding pizza boxes, prepping condiments (filling ramekins with salsa, for example) etc etc. If they are handing that stuff for takeout, they should be tipped for that also.

So there are things. I'm not arguing right or wrong or what it's worth, but there are a lot of things that go into preparing food for takeout that you would miss if they didn't happen.
:00000654:

I assume plumbers, electricians, painters, service technicians, etc fall under "transactional services". There was 1 that got me when I went to pay for a new water heater, the total was $3300 and there was a tip line with 10% recommended. A $330 tip? I gave the 2 guys $20 each.

We also tip the lady that cuts our hair.

My wife and I are willing tippers in a lot of scenarios, having both worked tipped-wage jobs in our younger days, but I'm not tipping plumbers, electricians, and other service professionals. Figure out the fees and let's be on the same page about that upfront.

Tipping the kid in a restaurant trying to make rent or pay towards school or whatever she has going on; absolutely! 25% is generally our baseline for dine-in.

Tipping in a small town is much easier. Just this morning I paid $20 for my $15 haircut. The barber mentioned he was looking for some old gun racks to complete a rustic room he was building. I told him I had two and would drop them off for him. He said thanks and gave me 2 lbs of ground venison.
Your barber is also a butcher? Sure it was venison?

I think it may be the software they're using. I went to a place and the person ringing me up skipped over that page for me and said something about the software they use came with the tip page. Not saying everyone does this, but it is a thing.

There is quite a bit that happens between when the kitchen produces your food and it is wrapped and ready for you to pick up.

Add to that (for better or worse) that the government makes certain assumptions about tip amounts based on sales amounts, so the mere act of service staff ringing something up makes certain assumptions about tip amounts.

And also, servers do a bunch of prep work - rolling silverware (or plastic ware), folding pizza boxes, prepping condiments (filling ramekins with salsa, for example) etc etc. If they are handing that stuff for takeout, they should be tipped for that also.

So there are things. I'm not arguing right or wrong or what it's worth, but there are a lot of things that go into preparing food for takeout that you would miss if they didn't happen.

So many many years ago, i worked at Bennigans. i began as busboy/backwaiter. Part of the job was to do these things upon arrival/during slow periods. OTherwise, there would literally be nothing else to do.

I worked at Godfathers pizza as well....i folded 1000s of boxes that were used. During slow period mostly ( stock up for rush etc ) sitting in dining room, folding boxes while i watched tv.

I dont know when the job description for what a server/host/backwaiter does, got pared down to the bare minimum and now having to "tip" to pay for the normal course of work they would be doing regardless of my order or not.

i simply cannot tip someone for putting my styrofoam box into bag w/ plastic spoon/fork and pepper/salt packet ( also in plastic wrap ) and taking my payment.

However, if i get to go and the food is brought out to my car ( vs me having to go inside to get ) then i will give few extra bucks as i feel that isnt part of the "job"

and im a full on tipper - 20% or more depending on server ( if he/she is just in a good mood, friendly and attentive- getting 25% or more )
Delivery drivers - esp pizza ( since my youth i did same ) easily $5-8 as i know how nice it is to get a $8 tip on a $25 order.

I think it may be the software they're using. I went to a place and the person ringing me up skipped over that page for me and said something about the software they use came with the tip page. Not saying everyone does this, but it is a thing.
Good on that cashier for taking the onus off of you, the customer, and straight up telling you to skip the tip page.

You're right that it's 90% the stock software package, and not usually something nefarious done by the shop. It's still shady, though, for a proprietor to kind of lean on "the software" to lay the guilt trip on behalf of your staff -- get that software set up differently if at all possible. Look into it earnestly and take action -- don't just shrug and say "That's how it comes."

He was fired. Hopefully he learns how to not say the silent part out loud.

That driver had no leg to stand on -- that $5 was objectively a good tip:
A DoorDash pizza delivery driver had some choice words for a Texas customer about the amount she tipped him. The delivery guy hands over the pizza and told Lacey Purciful, "I just wanna say, it's a nice house for a $5 tip." Etiquette expert Thomas Farley says you should be tipping anywhere from 10% to 15% for delivery. The total cost of her order of breadsticks and a medium pizza was $22.78. That means the five dollars she gave the delivery guy comes out to a 22% percent tip.

It is. The company gets a cut of that tip as well. They put it on everything.

It needs to be completely done away along with $2 dollar wages. I don't care that X% of wait staff made better then minimum wage. They've ruined the entire idea of fair/good service = tip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom