You didn't tip for X in 2003 or 2013 -- should you tip for X in 2023? (1 Viewer)

*waves hands generally*
*continues general waving*
I disagree with your take a bit -- I don't think the pandemic was the driver of the current changes in tip expectations (if changes in tip expectations are, indeed, what's being communicated by the counter-service iPads with default software).

In the sense that: "the iPad thing" was happening on a smaller, isolated scale before the pandemic and would have continued to spread without a pandemic. I think "the iPad thing" is essentially unrelated to the pandemic-era customer-driven ethic to tip extra for take-out (most especially at places that were more sit-down restaurants).

TL;DR: I don't think "the pandemic" is an explanation for why, in July 2023, the iPad at Starbucks autosuggests a $2.73 tip on a $6.27 drink.

... the current changes in tip expectations ...
Actually, thinking on this some:

Are reasonable and good-faith tip expectations for counter service different today than they were on this day five years ago?

And I don't mean for take-out restaurant food and I don't even mean Starbucks/PJs type coffee places -- those workers were all tipped pre-pandemic (I believe, anecdotally, no worse than 3/4 of take-out customers tipped 10% or usually more pre-pandemic).

I mean strictly for counter service. Grab close-by item, place in bag, hand bag over. If you are the customer and do not use the iPad auto-tip-line for that specific counter service, in July 2023, and instead leave no tip ... did you break the social contract? Did you do something wrong? In July 2023, now -- in the present.

I disagree with your take a bit -- I don't think the pandemic was the driver of the current changes in tip expectations (if changes in tip expectations are, indeed, what's being communicated by the counter-service iPads with default software).

In the sense that: "the iPad thing" was happening on a smaller, isolated scale before the pandemic and would have continued to spread without a pandemic. I think "the iPad thing" is essentially unrelated to the pandemic-era customer-driven ethic to tip extra for take-out (most especially at places that were more sit-down restaurants).

TL;DR: I don't think "the pandemic" is an explanation for why, in July 2023, the iPad at Starbucks autosuggests a $2.73 tip on a $6.27 drink.
Wasn’t really saying it was the driver, but it’s certainly a paradigm shift
Work from home existed before but the paradigm shifted during/after
Curbside delivery
Streaming services
STR vacations
Rideshare/rideshare delivery
Teleconference
et al
There ‘might’ be a shift back on some of these, but it’s unlikely

There is quite a bit that happens between when the kitchen produces your food and it is wrapped and ready for you to pick up.

Add to that (for better or worse) that the government makes certain assumptions about tip amounts based on sales amounts, so the mere act of service staff ringing something up makes certain assumptions about tip amounts.

And also, servers do a bunch of prep work - rolling silverware (or plastic ware), folding pizza boxes, prepping condiments (filling ramekins with salsa, for example) etc etc. If they are handing that stuff for takeout, they should be tipped for that also.

So there are things. I'm not arguing right or wrong or what it's worth, but there are a lot of things that go into preparing food for takeout that you would miss if they didn't happen.
My assumption is that, unlike actual servers, these people are not being paid based off tips. I don't see why I should feel obligated to tip someone for doing something that 1. They are already being paid for and 2. Is no more service than you get at a fast food joint.

That said, if I go into a place where the people are particularly nice and/or accommodating, I will always throw them a buck or two, but not a full tip.

I don't think the pandemic was the driver of the current changes in tip expectations

This is already wrong.

How could it NOT have been the driver?

The whole deal was "restaurant worker makes (whatever pitiful minimum amount allowed per hour) with the understanding that they're getting tips to balance things out". With sit-down dining being over 95% eliminated, the only way most of these workers could be tipped was via to-go orders.

Now if you're asking "well why does it still exist now that things are mostly normal again?" ...... that's fine and worth discussing.......but COVID absolutely lit the fire on to-go tipping.

Wasn’t really saying it was the driver, but it’s certainly a paradigm shift
Work from home existed before but the paradigm shifted during/after
Curbside delivery
Streaming services
STR vacations
Rideshare/rideshare delivery
Teleconference
et al
There ‘might’ be a shift back on some of these, but it’s unlikely
Agreed, but all that is unrelated to the iPad thing (default tip lines for counter service).

This is already wrong.

How could it NOT have been the driver?

The whole deal was "restaurant worker makes (whatever pitiful minimum amount allowed per hour) with the understanding that they're getting tips to balance things out". With sit-down dining being over 95% eliminated, the only way most of these workers could be tipped was via to-go orders.

Now if you're asking "well why does it still exist now that things are mostly normal again?" ...... that's fine and worth discussing.......but COVID absolutely lit the fire on to-go tipping.
Not the iPad thing. See above.

but COVID absolutely lit the fire on to-go tipping.
... I don't have data. but: I do believe to-go orders from sit-down places were typically (though not invariably) tipped before COVID. I know that etiquette recommendations (your Ms. Manners and such) dating back circa the mid-1990s was 10% on take-out.

I can agree that the pandemic " lit the fire on to-go tipping" for much the reason you laid out. But again ... unrelated to the iPad thing. See the OP's comic panel -- that's it in a nutshell. That customer in that comic panel, to my view, is NOT someone picking up a take-out meal. That customer is buying donuts, or a pastry, or something like that. Maybe a bag of chocolate raisins at Smoothie King.

EDIT: Actually, the guy in the comic panel is buying a bagel. It's made explicit. Yes or no -- is the customer shown in the OP's comic panel doing something wrong?

I do a full tip when I do sushi take out. Anything else I usually do less than if I ate in.

I think some of those fast service places are using those Toast terminals and it's just built in to ask - and why would you remove the potential for a couple extra bucks?

... I don't have data. but: I do believe to-go orders from sit-down places were typically (though not invariably) tipped before COVID. I know that etiquette recommendations (your Ms. Manners and such) dating back circa the mid-1990s was 10% on take-out.

I can agree that the pandemic " lit the fire on to-go tipping" for much the reason you laid out. But again ... unrelated to the iPad thing. See the OP's comic panel -- that's it in a nutshell. That customer in that comic panel, to my view, is NOT someone picking up a take-out meal. That customer is buying donuts, or a pastry, or something like that. Maybe a bag of chocolate raisins at Smoothie King.

EDIT: Actually, the guy in the comic panel is buying a bagel. It's made explicit. Yes or no -- is the customer shown in the OP's comic panel doing something wrong?

The comic strip is definitely a parody based on reality, yes.

And yes, to-go tipping obviously existed before COVID (hence, the Brees example that I mentioned from 2013).

But think about it like mail-in ballots in November 2020. Existed prior to COVID? Of course. Used during that time in far greater quantities than before? Absolutely.

But think about it like mail-in ballots in November 2020. Existed prior to COVID? Of course. Used during that time in far greater quantities than before? Absolutely.
Agreed. Not quite the issue, however.

My luggage didnt make the trip with me on a recent flight. The company delivering my suitcase to the house sent me an email. In the email it said tipping was not required but is appreciated.

It was the first time the tip culture P'Oed me off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom