NFL Draft What WR do you like in this year’s draft? (1 Viewer)

This is a great discussion and now that what we have known/assumed will happen is happening, it's a good time to have it. There are a few knowns and unknowns.

1. Olave is probably our best WR, yet he hasn't proved that he is okay with contact whether it be with the defender or the ground. He's probably best utilized where he can stay clear of a defender. He's more than likely our slot/Y and hopefully he continues to develop. There is no question about his route running or his hands without contact.

2. Shaheed is a playmaker and probably should be position-less like Tyreek Hill. He's smallish like Olave, but doesn't shy away from contact and has proven to get nicked up. He may be viewed as a playmaker and use him that way. He can also be a slot/Y or small Z.

3. What role do they see ATP in? He's built more like a Big Z than a true X WR. When he first started getting playing time, he seemed soft like Olave when it came to contact with defenders/traffic, however as the season went on he developed more physicality. He might be the future X, but I still see him as a Big Z.

If we are looking for a X WR to replace MT, that would be Odunze in the early 1st, Keon Coleman later in the 1st or Legette in the late 1st/early 2nd. Cornelius Johnson test well and have Michigan WR experience and under Harbaugh, they produced some X WRs like DPG and Nico Collins. Johnson can be had later in the draft, probably with one of our 5ths.

I would as Juwan Johnson to trim back down to his WR weight and let him play the X. He was a bigger WR and better WR prospect than Jennings and everyone wants Jennings, but JJ can be that guy if he switched back to WR. He's also improved his blocking so that would be a nice addition out there and already on the roster.

If we want a WR to play a Deebo role, that would be Legette or Malachi Corley.

My favorite WR in the draft is Nabers and then Odunze and BTJr.

As mentioned above McConkey is nice as well and would be an addition no matter what.

Tez Walker is someone who could turn into a good NFL WR.

I look at our WR room as 3 guys right now with a potential 4th on the roster.

He won't, but if Nabers falls to 14 you draft him.

X: Juwan Johnson (Transition back to WR)/ATP
Y: Chris Olave/Shaheed (Playmaker)
Z: ATP/Shaheed (Playmaker)

That's only 4 guys. We normally carry ~6.

I would draft a Deebo type WR and another playmaker skillset. Can't have too many playmakers.
Just wanted to mention to you that as someone who likes to try to decode Underhill he has mentioned two weeks in a row in random conversations on his show Keon Coleman as an option in the second round.

He’s done that before in previous years with players who we’ve drafted like Michael Thomas. At the very least it does seems to suggest they’re considering drafting one.

Yup, been saying that for years. It would be a good way to extend his career.

We also have a big physical X WR on the roster already, he just gained some weight and is running around out there at TE.
Spend one of our 5th-rounders on Luke McCaffrey and do this and I’m “Dancing on the tables at Pat 0’s … but the first two picks needs to be BPA in the trenches … pick a side … either side

Best route runner in draft is Nabors. Pearsall from Florida is a beast with it too.
Nabers is the better receiver but Ladd is the far superior route runner. He's a complete technician who will be a top 10 route runner the day he steps foot in the league.

Nabers is the better receiver but Ladd is the far superior route runner. He's a complete technician who will be a top 10 route runner the day he steps foot in the league.

I love Nabers, but we have a couple of small field-stretchers already. AT Perry can replace Mike (kinda-sorta) so all we need is a big fast 50/50 winner like a Mike Evans. I believe Bowers could also fill that role at TE.

BTJr would have been the #1 WR drafted in 2023. Sadly, I don't see us taking WR with our 1st.

Keon Coleman 6'3" makes jump ball catches all day. He is great at RAC and even took punts. He doesn't catch and fall down; he competes for yards. That's not Olave or Shaheed's game.

I love Nabers, but we have a couple of small field-stretchers already. AT Perry can replace Mike (kinda-sorta) so all we need is a big fast 50/50 winner like a Mike Evans. I believe Bowers could also fill that role at TE.

We don't have a Nabers on the roster. Nabers is bigger and more explosive than both Olave and Shaheed. At 6' 200lbs+ he catches in traffic and has good contact balance, skills that Olave does not show to possess. Nabers won't be there at 14, he'd be a playmaking WR1 from Day 1 and Olave would be that smooth tactician WR2.

Bowers skillset is a huge need in this offense since we don't have a true playmaking TE. I'd still probably go Nabers over Bowers if they were both available and then grab Theo Johnson later in the draft.

In the late rounds, keep an eye out for Cornelius Johnson out of Michigan. 6'3", runs a 4.44/40, and is a nasty blocker. He needs to be coached up when it comes to route running, it seems, but he is worth a flier in the late rounds.

Overview​

Johnson was a three-year starter, with all three seasons including action in the College Football Playoff. He's a big, tough target who displayed improvement making the difficult catch in 2023. He has decent speed but is encumbered by ragged route running that fails to hit the mark with footwork or timing. Johnson's play strength and competitiveness can become a problem for smaller cornerbacks when the action heads down the field. He's a chippy run blocker with the potential to become a weapon as a perimeter blocker. Johnson's size and traits will be lauded, but he might need a simpler route tree to be at his best as a pro backup.

Strengths​

• Very good size with plus athletic traits.
  • Explosive leaper able to climb the ladder and grab tall throws.
  • Brought in almost every contested catch in 2023.
  • Catches into traffic and is a tough runner after the catch.
  • LOVES to mix it up with defensive backs as chippy run blocker.
  • Creates opportunities for explosive runs in his direction.

Weaknesses​

• Routes are disheveled and lacking technique.
  • Struggles to find the footwork for beating coverage leverage.
  • Very rounded and gradual getting out of his turns.
  • Needs to locate the football sooner out of his breaks.
  • Average hands with a few too many focus drops.

I REALLY like Johnson with one of our 5ths. He just get's open, he has good concentration (see the catch at the 1:38 mark in the above video), he's great on contested catches and isn't afraid to go over the middle. I'm really hoping we get him on day 3, I think he would be great value there and could push AT Perry.

I REALLY like Johnson with one of our 5ths. He just get's open, he has good concentration (see the catch at the 1:38 mark in the above video), he's great on contested catches and isn't afraid to go over the middle. I'm really hoping we get him on day 3, I think he would be great value there and could push AT Perry.

I like him as well. Harbaugh recruited X WRs from Michigan are good. They do the dirty work and play an old school X.

I started filling out my WR attribute spreadsheet and one WR is really standing out, Bub Means out of Pittsburgh. He's not one of the big names, but he has the attributes required for an NFL WR. I watched some of his highlights this morning and his size/speed and length is evident on tape. Looks like the inconsistent QB play at Pittsburgh factored into his lower stats on the season. I recommend looking into this guy as a late round option. He might gain some traction as he's starting to get talked about as a sleeper.

Bub Means
Height: 73"
Weight: 212lbs - (Combine)
Weight: 227lbs - (Pro Day)
Weight: 217lbs - Weight he wants to play at in the NFL
Hands: 10.25"
40-Time: 4.43sec
20-yard Shuttle: 4.38sec
Vertical: 39.5"
Bench: 19
Squat: 500lbs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom