NFL Draft What WR do you like in this year’s draft? (4 Viewers)

Brian Thomas Jr. , Adonai Mitchell , Troy Franklin , Ricky Pearsall , Jalen McMillan , Luke McCaffrey ... My favorite are Malik Washington, Tahj Washington, and Marcus Rosemy - Jacksaint. UDFA's Hayden Hatten, Jalen Coker, Jadon Janke or Jaxon Janke...

Xavier Legette is one of my favorite guys in this draft. Huge guy at 6'3" 225ish, super athletic and ran a 4.39(!) at the combine and had a really productive season last year. He was projected a day 2 guy, but after that combine he might end up climbing a lot of teams boards. If he's there at 45 I don't think you can do much better than him.

EDIT: Looks like the combine has him at 6'1", still big and strong for the position. And he uses it, not a "look like Tahzan, play like Jane" situation.

Last edited:
Now that Thomas looks to be gone , do you think we draft a WR with first pick or wait later in draft. One thing is for sure the draft is very rich in receivers as always. Who do you like? I like Nabors but he will be gone unless he drops or we can trade up. If we can get Xavier Worthy from Texas that would be a great pick up. Who is your choice or choices for WR is this year draft?
Hopefully not another 5'9 160lb receiver

I am in the minority here, but I would prefer we just sign Renfrow and let the young guys grow. We shouldn’t be drafting a wide receiver given our current wide receiver room is full of guys in their 2nd and 3rd years. Adding a rookie to the mix won’t yield the result we are hoping for.

This is a great discussion and now that what we have known/assumed will happen is happening, it's a good time to have it. There are a few knowns and unknowns.

1. Olave is probably our best WR, yet he hasn't proved that he is okay with contact whether it be with the defender or the ground. He's probably best utilized where he can stay clear of a defender. He's more than likely our slot/Y and hopefully he continues to develop. There is no question about his route running or his hands without contact.

2. Shaheed is a playmaker and probably should be position-less like Tyreek Hill. He's smallish like Olave, but doesn't shy away from contact and has proven to get nicked up. He may be viewed as a playmaker and use him that way. He can also be a slot/Y or small Z.

3. What role do they see ATP in? He's built more like a Big Z than a true X WR. When he first started getting playing time, he seemed soft like Olave when it came to contact with defenders/traffic, however as the season went on he developed more physicality. He might be the future X, but I still see him as a Big Z.

If we are looking for a X WR to replace MT, that would be Odunze in the early 1st, Keon Coleman later in the 1st or Legette in the late 1st/early 2nd. Cornelius Johnson test well and have Michigan WR experience and under Harbaugh, they produced some X WRs like DPG and Nico Collins. Johnson can be had later in the draft, probably with one of our 5ths.

I would as Juwan Johnson to trim back down to his WR weight and let him play the X. He was a bigger WR and better WR prospect than Jennings and everyone wants Jennings, but JJ can be that guy if he switched back to WR. He's also improved his blocking so that would be a nice addition out there and already on the roster.

If we want a WR to play a Deebo role, that would be Legette or Malachi Corley.

My favorite WR in the draft is Nabers and then Odunze and BTJr.

As mentioned above McConkey is nice as well and would be an addition no matter what.

Tez Walker is someone who could turn into a good NFL WR.

I look at our WR room as 3 guys right now with a potential 4th on the roster.

He won't, but if Nabers falls to 14 you draft him.

X: Juwan Johnson (Transition back to WR)/ATP
Y: Chris Olave/Shaheed (Playmaker)
Z: ATP/Shaheed (Playmaker)

That's only 4 guys. We normally carry ~6.

I would draft a Deebo type WR and another playmaker skillset. Can't have too many playmakers.
Great post.
Love the idea about JJ, hadn't thought of that.

Johnny Wilson FSU if he slides into the 4th or later rounds. Huge WR 6’7” 237lbs, 4.52 40yd dash with a 1.55 10yd split, very athletic and smooth running routes, good blocker, does have issues with catching the ball sometimes which is why he could drop.

In the late rounds, keep an eye out for Cornelius Johnson out of Michigan. 6'3", runs a 4.44/40, and is a nasty blocker. He needs to be coached up when it comes to route running, it seems, but he is worth a flier in the late rounds.

Overview​

Johnson was a three-year starter, with all three seasons including action in the College Football Playoff. He's a big, tough target who displayed improvement making the difficult catch in 2023. He has decent speed but is encumbered by ragged route running that fails to hit the mark with footwork or timing. Johnson's play strength and competitiveness can become a problem for smaller cornerbacks when the action heads down the field. He's a chippy run blocker with the potential to become a weapon as a perimeter blocker. Johnson's size and traits will be lauded, but he might need a simpler route tree to be at his best as a pro backup.

Strengths​

• Very good size with plus athletic traits.
  • Explosive leaper able to climb the ladder and grab tall throws.
  • Brought in almost every contested catch in 2023.
  • Catches into traffic and is a tough runner after the catch.
  • LOVES to mix it up with defensive backs as chippy run blocker.
  • Creates opportunities for explosive runs in his direction.

Weaknesses​

• Routes are disheveled and lacking technique.
  • Struggles to find the footwork for beating coverage leverage.
  • Very rounded and gradual getting out of his turns.
  • Needs to locate the football sooner out of his breaks.
  • Average hands with a few too many focus drops.

I like X WRs who were recruited and coached up my Harbaugh. I like Johnson a lot as a later round under the radar guy.

I think Monroe Young out of Cal, he is a great blocker, great special teams player and has size hands and put up great numbers at Cal Pro Day, 4.4 in the 40, at 6'1 he would be a great late round pick. He was just in a terrible offense for a long time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom