Ukraine (38 Viewers)

Cheap Russian drones overwhelm US-made Abrams tanks, taken out of action​

Ukrainian forces are withdrawing US-provided Abrams M1A1 main battle tanks from the front lines after at least five have been destroyed by cheap Russian drones, according to the AP.

A loud cheer went up amongst Ukraine’s support when the US announced in January 2023 it would deliver a battalion of Abrams tanks to Ukraine. The hope was that 31 US made tanks, which are far superior to the Russian T-72 tank that is in wide use by Russia’s forces, would be a game changer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ar-AA1nIxGp

A friend sent me this article, this morning. As I read it, I couldn't help but think about the seismic shift in naval warfare that happened when the aircraft carriers and their planes supplanted the battleship as the main force on the open seas. Seems like history is repeating itself. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if in the near future there isn't some kind of medium powered, Phalanx like laser system that starts showing up on our armor that will be able to disable/destroy drones very rapidly.

Cheap Russian drones overwhelm US-made Abrams tanks, taken out of action​

Ukrainian forces are withdrawing US-provided Abrams M1A1 main battle tanks from the front lines after at least five have been destroyed by cheap Russian drones, according to the AP.

A loud cheer went up amongst Ukraine’s support when the US announced in January 2023 it would deliver a battalion of Abrams tanks to Ukraine. The hope was that 31 US made tanks, which are far superior to the Russian T-72 tank that is in wide use by Russia’s forces, would be a game changer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ar-AA1nIxGp

A friend sent me this article, this morning. As I read it, I couldn't help but think about the seismic shift in naval warfare that happened when the aircraft carriers and their planes supplanted the battleship as the main force on the open seas. Seems like history is repeating itself. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if in the near future there isn't some kind of medium powered, Phalanx like laser system that starts showing up on our armor that will be able to disable/destroy drones very rapidly.

It will be EW as well. But you can't jam everything.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some sort of jamming that creates a dome effect around each tank. Almost like a force field.
Drones have completely changed the battlefield. If you can put a 30lb explosive into a dugout entryway vs having to fire 15 155mm shells from 10 miles away to attempt to hit same target and get 100% success with drone, which costs 1/100 of artillery, then yeah, total shift

Cheap drones overwhelm Russian tanks too. The difference is Russia doesn't care about losses. Either equipment or men. At all.

I'm growing weary of this message that its all everyone else's fault because we aren't doing enough.

If I'm there, many more are too. I'm beginning to wonder who is behind some if these pro Ukrainian sources. Show some grace as u might not have the agency to complain if not for what's been supplied.

ETA that she died because Ru invaded and they've been unable to defend themselves partially due to internal weaknesses and logistics issues, not because NATO was stingy.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom