23/24 EPL season (1 Viewer)

whodat79

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Another year of the premier league. Can someone dethrone Man C? Will Arsenal choke again? Most likely Liverpool FC make a run. YNWA

Another year of the premier league. Can someone dethrone Man C? Will Arsenal choke again? Most likely Liverpool FC make a run. YNWA

Arsenal have much better depth this year, so it'll be interesting to see if they can sustain the run this year. But Liverpool and United both look to be stronger as well. Should be another fun season.

And you purposefully left out Manchester United. Now, so long as we finish above your Liverpoolians, i dont care where we sit in the table.

( actually i do...lol )
;)

And you purposefully left out Manchester United. Now, so long as we finish above your Liverpoolians, i dont care where we sit in the table.

( actually i do...lol )
;)
I watched the 7-0 replay last week. It was fun. United has the team to make a run as well. New Castle has all that Saudi money backing. It will be fun

I watched the 7-0 replay last week. It was fun. United has the team to make a run as well. New Castle has all that Saudi money backing. It will be fun

yeah i think this season things will be a lot more competitive save maybe the 3 new comers. But thats why i do love the EPL. NottForest can pull an upset, esp if opponent eyeing CL play few days later.

I’m going to raise my hand and say I don’t understand soccer, although I wish I had a better understanding as my son’s interest in the sport continues to grow. I get the general idea, so I don’t need Soccer for Dummies, but I would like to better understand the strategies behind the game in general, as well as in specific situations (set pieces?). Any recommended resources?

I’m going to raise my hand and say I don’t understand soccer, although I wish I had a better understanding as my son’s interest in the sport continues to grow. I get the general idea, so I don’t need Soccer for Dummies, but I would like to better understand the strategies behind the game in general, as well as in specific situations (set pieces?). Any recommended resources?

It's kinda hard to read about to understand the strategy. Like in any sport, the strategy is to put your opponent defenders in the most untenable position. Some of that is achieved thru tactics, shape and some thru players individual skill.

What I would recommend is watch some EPL, LA Liga or Serie A matches. Even Champions League. But take your eye off the ball. Watch what players do (or don't do) off the ball. Their movement, position when ball is near or opposite side etc. You will start to see a pattern develop. The camera shots will give you the ability to still see where ball is and how it's moving, but also see a wider shot of what others are doing depending on player with ball doing.

At the top level, angles and leverage ( player w ball position vs defender position) means a whole lot. Listen to the commentators, there are several in EPL, former players, that do a good job imo of identifying certain tactical shape, formation and how that relates to the game as its being played.

Pay attention to different coaches and how their teams play. The most identifiable imo is Pep Guardiola.(man city) he brought into forefront what is referred to as "tiki taka" (touch touch) soccer. Always moving with purpose, attacking one touch soccer.

Here is an article on that style. Gives an idea of his style wherever he goes.

You will start to gain an understanding watching it. Best way imo. Eventually you can dive deeper into players pro/cons to see how opponents attack them (or avoid) etc. Then the game starts to slow down and you can enjoy watching the skill these guys posses.

It really is the beautiful game.

What I would recommend is watch some EPL, LA Liga or Serie A matches. Even Champions League.
All of your post is great and appreciated. I will say that watching EPL seems very different than watching MLS, but aside from what appears to be superior talent in a lot of cases, I’ll try to keep a better eye on what’s happening off the ball. I’m sure there is more to it.

There are tons of tutorials on YouTube- a few tries should get you to the level that makes sense for you
I listen to The Total Soccer Show podcast (mostly EPL and USMNT coverage) they have several ‘101’ shows where they breakdown different tactical elements
efil probably has the best tactical analysis on the board - he’s a good benchmark to help understand if you’re seeing what you think you’re seeing

But here are some thoughts- teams without elite offensive (attacking) talent will often play a low block (they have most of their players in defensive positions in front of goal) - they fine with you having the ball and passing back and forth away from goal, and once you do attack, they want to turn you over and hit a counter attack (sending 2-4 players to try to ‘steal’ a goal because you have over committed in your attack)

The flip side of a low block team is a pressure/attacking team / they want to keep a highline (their last defensive line as close to midfield as possible)
They want to dispossess you around midfield and send numbers (5-6) in attack- if they have a truly elite striker that might try to attack right up the middle (‘route 1’), but that requires otherworldly ball skills
But most will utilize the wings (right or left side), they want to pull the defense to them to create seams/openings in defense and play the ball into goal so a trailing attacker has some space to take a shot
I think those are basic defensive and offensive strategies with dozens of variations utilized

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom