This years Saints draft and what I have heard (1 Viewer)

He was once the top prospect in the country and Lincoln Riley had Caleb Williams backing him up before Rattler struggled that season in Oklahoma.

He's got a true NFL arm which you just don't often get in the 5th round. South Carolina was kind of a dumpster fire but he made them competitive. He's got actual upside. He seems like he's grown and matured in the last couple years.

The one knock physically might be his height. It'll be interesting to see if he wins the #2 job.

Attachments

• drew-brees2-gty-ml-190201_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg
    drew-brees2-gty-ml-190201_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 5
I think one could argue that Rattler, Nix, and Penix are equal value. Personally I would take Rattler over Penix, between Nix and Rattler I think it’s even, a toss up.
Look, I’m not a Penix believer, at all. But he doesn’t belong with this group. You had me at Nix, Penix I can’t make that stretch. production isn’t the end all be all by any means but it matters.

He was once the top prospect in the country and Lincoln Riley had Caleb Williams backing him up before Rattler struggled that season in Oklahoma.

He's got a true NFL arm which you just don't often get in the 5th round. South Carolina was kind of a dumpster fire but he made them competitive. He's got actual upside. He seems like he's grown and matured in the last couple years.

The one knock physically might be his height. It'll be interesting to see if he wins the #2 job.
^this…. I remember watching him and thinking he would be brees replacement but we would need 1st overall pick. He fell big time since then. But my point is he was once the sheet.

No lie. About 2-3 years ago i drafted him number 1 overall in madden with the texans. I won 3 super bowls with him. He was incredible. Based off a community draft class, he was the consensus number 1 player.

I just feel nauseous when looking at our draft
Even if it turns out poor we didn't have much to go with. I think the first two will be hits anyways......I'm happy they didn't keep mortgaging the future to move up. That's what got us into the position of having no 3rd and 4th to begin with.

Look, I’m not a Penix believer, at all. But he doesn’t belong with this group. You had me at Nix, Penix I can’t make that stretch. production isn’t the end all be all by any means but it matters.
Lenox has all the tools but his injury history is concerning. I don’t think he’ll hold up to NFL pounding.

My bad. RGIII, said best value on Rattler, not the best QB. RGIII's opinion is not worth much. Baldinger said Fuaga could end up being the best and that husband run blocking is the best, several have said that while Kool Aid didn't have as good a year as his teammate, he may end up being a better pro.
Gotta watch out for that husband run blocking 😁

Even if it turns out poor we didn't have much to go with. I think the first two will be hits anyways......I'm happy they didn't keep mortgaging the future to move up. That's what got us into the position of having no 3rd and 4th to begin with.
I guess my issue is we got the tackle. That’s a plus. But CB and QB with the next two. Why? The QB wasn’t a need, and CB is probably the strongest position on the team. Lots of potential, but very little to
Step in now

I guess my issue is we got the tackle. That’s a plus. But CB and QB with the next two. Why? The QB wasn’t a need, and CB is probably the strongest position on the team. Lots of potential, but very little to
Step in now
I love having CB depth. I’m still traumatized by all those years where we didn’t have a single NFL caliber CB on the roster and we got drilled!

Step in now
I can certainly understand that perspective. Thinking they drafted the corner as Latt's future with the team has been up in the air and Adebo is in a contract year and is about to get paid.

RGIII is not really a college football "scout" for whatever that is worth.

I guess my point is when you have the picks, or lack thereof, that the Saints had, if the CB and Tackle are close to the best and if QB has success as a starter, this will go down as an amazing draft.
He's not a scout but as a former NFL QB I guess his opinion would be more informed that mine or yours. Before the draft he talked about how Rattler would be the steal of the draft. And I think he was referring to the 2nd or 3rd round. A team was going to get first round tools at a discount. RG3 wasn't the only person who really likes Rattler.

Last edited:
But CB and QB with the next two. Why? The QB wasn’t a need, and CB is probably the strongest

Yeah I found the CB, QB and LB picks odd as far as need goes. I'd have thought a DE, OG and TE would have made more sense, but all of Loomis' drafts look like this. I can never see their logic. I've kind of given up. At least the players are ones I've heard of before.

I kind of worry about our OL and our lack of FB and TE to make a Shanahan offense go.

Step in now
with how injury prone our team always seems to be, having solid starting prospects at positions of luxury isnt a bad thing because one big injury creates a position of need

One can plausibly argue that Fuaga and McKinstry were the best players at their position. I do not think one can plausibly argue that Rattler was a better prospect than, or a prospect comparable to, Penix and Nix. Penix was the eighth player picked and Nix the 13th. Rattler went deep in the 5th round.

I am not privy to any of the 32 team draft boards. But I doubt that many, if any, teams had Penix rated outside the top 50 players; had Nix rated outside the top 60 players; or had Rattler rated as a top 100 player. If Rattler had been seen as a top 100 player, he would have been picked much earlier than he was. In short, where players are picked are a rough indication of how NFL teams rated them. Yes, there are outliers, but we are talking about going 10 picks or even a round too early or too late, not a difference of four rounds. It was no surprise that Penix and Nix went in the first round, and that Rattler went as late as the fifth round.

I love having CB depth. I’m still traumatized by all those years where we didn’t have a single NFL caliber CB on the roster and we got drilled!
Man, when they signed Jason David of Colts because they were desperate, and every one said he wouldn't work out he be a bust in Saints system...then he got straight abused by Peyton over and over again in their first match out, that was brutal.

Remembering that alone, a competitive or even overpopulated sceconfary is very soothing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom