The Science of Fasting (1 Viewer)

While we are eating it up... pun intended, other countries are already looking at banning the use of drugs like Ozempic and Wegovy and there are many investigations and lawsuits going on as well. Tell your friend to look up people having issues with gastroparesis and some even more dire symptoms as a result.
She works in R&D. She’s aware of risks using things off label.

Her husband tried to point out her delusions about how “healthy” her lifestyle actually is and she is like well that’s easy for him to say bc he has a more flexible schedule and can work out at his office. Which is all true but the reality is that she doesn’t prioritize the gym & when she’s tired after work, she grabs wine instead of going to the gym before getting home.

It’s all about what you prioritize and where you put your efforts.

One week they are telling us to eat cereal for dinner to off set the burden of inflation on cost of groceries and now telling people fasting is bad. “They” can go to hell.
My head figuratively exploded when Gary Pilnick said that. Besides the wrongheadedness nutritionally speaking, who the hell thinks cereal is cheap?

Also, total side rant but this is a good enough thread for its appropriateness.

I learned that yet another one of my friends started on Ozempic recently. She is petite. Tiny. She has VERY slight belly pudge (she’s never had kids) & is mid 40’s. I asked why she got on it & her response was “nothing works”.

She is middle-aged and we have all kinds of hormone fluctuations at this point, works a desk job, commutes 1 hour each way to work several times per week & is sporadic in the gym & goes at most 4x on a good week - and the biggest thing - drinks like a fish! Like a few glasses of wine most nights and many on weekends.

I guess it just bugs me because every woman I know on it, says nothing was working yet have not made any changes to lifestyle. Like why did you think doing what you’ve been doing was going to work? Your gym routine without changing anything else like you did in your 20’s will NOT work anymore. They all still eat out frequently, make modest efforts at the gym & still drink like college kids.

It’s crazy because we still don’t know long term safety for off-label use in people that weren’t overweight to begin with and don’t have a legitimate metabolic condition.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to eat like a garbage can & drink like a fish and still lose weight but at the end of the day, being skinny is not the same as being healthy.

Also, it made me realize how many ppl have moderate alcohol dependence. The fact that none of the women I know will give up their booze for their health is bizarre. I’d like to say men, too but I don’t know any men on ozempic.

Le sigh….
My friend on Ozempic is an RN. Good luck to me to try and talk her out of it (which I haven't by the way) because she is losing weight. I love, love, LOVE this woman dearly. She is my touchstone. I've known her since I was 12. She just had her second heart attack and continues to smoke. I tell ya I could kill her for that -- Heh -- because I need her. So her "good health" is taking all the meds.

Cynthia Thurlow in that first video I linked used the phrase "Lifestyle IS medicine". I honestly never heard that phrase before but I obviously believe it (not that my lifestyle right now is that).

Yeah, it's funny (not really, but sorta) seeing people I know do stuff that's clearly not healthy, but they refuse to admit it. I don't get it. They think there's some pill or whatever that can counteract the vice, and they ultimately end up hurting themselves more.

Yeah, it's funny (not really, but sorta) seeing people I know do stuff that's clearly not healthy, but they refuse to admit it. I don't get it. They think there's some pill or whatever that can counteract the vice, and they ultimately end up hurting themselves more.
There is a saying that you can't out train a bad diet, I wonder why they think you can out RX a bad diet/lifestyle.

There is a saying that you can't out train a bad diet, I wonder why they think you can out RX a bad diet/lifestyle.
Because the goal isn't to be healthy...its to look good.

Perfect example of our superficial society driven by instant gratification achieved by the least amount of effort

My mom is becoming one of those people who is adamant about throwing pills at everything. Especially when it comes to mental health. Her first reaction is to always say “they need to be on Prozac!”

I went off on her the other day for saying it about my cousin. I’m like it may help her to feel a little better bc she’s going through some ish but the reality is that if she fixed x,y & z and resolved those issues, she’d be 1,000x happier AND have low stress because she’s resolved her problems which is better long term.

Don’t get me wrong, antidepressants have been life-saving for many people and have their place but when your “depression” is caused by going through some crappy life situations and failing to resolve the issues and find solutions, how good is the pill really in the long run?

Perfect example of our superficial society driven by instant gratification achieved by the least amount of effort
Most people on Ozempic that don’t actually need it, end up not looking good either because they lose so much muscle from the massive decrease in calories and rapid weight loss. They all start looking sick.

TIL there is no Fernando's Hideaway .gif.

Our boy Sten just posted this. Seems like a good primer for those just getting into some form of fasting or a good refresher for those who maybe have gotten off track (like me)

Also, total side rant but this is a good enough thread for its appropriateness.

I learned that yet another one of my friends started on Ozempic recently. She is petite. Tiny. She has VERY slight belly pudge (she’s never had kids) & is mid 40’s. I asked why she got on it & her response was “nothing works”.

She is middle-aged and we have all kinds of hormone fluctuations at this point, works a desk job, commutes 1 hour each way to work several times per week & is sporadic in the gym & goes at most 4x on a good week - and the biggest thing - drinks like a fish! Like a few glasses of wine most nights and many on weekends.

I guess it just bugs me because every woman I know on it, says nothing was working yet have not made any changes to lifestyle. Like why did you think doing what you’ve been doing was going to work? Your gym routine without changing anything else like you did in your 20’s will NOT work anymore. They all still eat out frequently, make modest efforts at the gym & still drink like college kids.

It’s crazy because we still don’t know long term safety for off-label use in people that weren’t overweight to begin with and don’t have a legitimate metabolic condition.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to eat like a garbage can & drink like a fish and still lose weight but at the end of the day, being skinny is not the same as being healthy.

Also, it made me realize how many ppl have moderate alcohol dependence. The fact that none of the women I know will give up their booze for their health is bizarre. I’d like to say men, too but I don’t know any men on ozempic.

Le sigh….
My Wife is on a Maintenace dose. She's lost about 50 pounds on it. She cut drinking wine way back when she first got started. Ozempic helps curb her appetite and slows down how quickly her body metabolizes food. She has slowly ramped back up her wine consumption, but does still eat a lot less. She is more active and has more energy since the weight loss. While she was never pre-diabetic, her fasting blood sugar was high normal and now is comfortably in the normal range.

Her grandfather is a diabetic, and her father was pre-diabetic and got on ozempic, lost 40 or 50 pounds, and now his fasting blood sugar is in the normal range, the insurance will not pay for his meds anymore, so he pays out of pocket.

Both her and her father has GI issues initially, but learned diet influenced that side effect (fried and greasy food + Ozempic) and as long as they moderate/remove those foods don't have the GI side effects.

I do agree that being skinny does not mean you are healthy, but obesity really is a killer, so skinny people with bad lifestyle habits are less unhealthy than heavier people with bad lifestyle habits.

I really feel like the ozempic and alcohol consumption are separate issues though. However, I totally agree there are a lot of people with moderate alcohol dependence.

I would speculate that you don't see as many [middle-aged] men on ozempic, because they are on Testosterone, which helps increase their metabolism and lose weight/maintain current weight.

My Wife is on a Maintenace dose. She's lost about 50 pounds on it. She cut drinking wine way back when she first got started. Ozempic helps curb her appetite and slows down how quickly her body metabolizes food. She has slowly ramped back up her wine consumption, but does still eat a lot less. She is more active and has more energy since the weight loss. While she was never pre-diabetic, her fasting blood sugar was high normal and now is comfortably in the normal range.

Her grandfather is a diabetic, and her father was pre-diabetic and got on ozempic, lost 40 or 50 pounds, and now his fasting blood sugar is in the normal range, the insurance will not pay for his meds anymore, so he pays out of pocket.

Both her and her father has GI issues initially, but learned diet influenced that side effect (fried and greasy food + Ozempic) and as long as they moderate/remove those foods don't have the GI side effects.

I do agree that being skinny does not mean you are healthy, but obesity really is a killer, so skinny people with bad lifestyle habits are less unhealthy than heavier people with bad lifestyle habits.

I really feel like the ozempic and alcohol consumption are separate issues though. However, I totally agree there are a lot of people with moderate alcohol dependence.

I would speculate that you don't see as many [middle-aged] men on ozempic, because they are on Testosterone, which helps increase their metabolism and lose weight/maintain current weight.
So, get healthy and insurance doesn't pay anymore. Any wonder why people don't think much of insurance companies?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom