The Science of Fasting (3 Viewers)

Well now I know why my mostly carnivore diet helped with my issues with long covid.

Ever feel like you just can't shake off that lingering fatigue even after recovering from COVID? You're not alone. Millions of people experience long COVID, a frustrating collection of symptoms that persist long after the initial infection. Now, research from the University of Cambridge suggests a surprising culprit: low iron levels.

Well now I know why my mostly carnivore diet helped with my issues with long covid.

Ever feel like you just can't shake off that lingering fatigue even after recovering from COVID? You're not alone. Millions of people experience long COVID, a frustrating collection of symptoms that persist long after the initial infection. Now, research from the University of Cambridge suggests a surprising culprit: low iron levels.
Interesting.
I've struggled badly with what I can only describe as 'long covid' because no doctor can seemingly actually diagnose that--at least the ones I've seen. They just wanted to give me pills. Since fasting, going heavy keto/carnivore, nearly eliminating processed foods and most sugars--I've been feeling a ton better and many of the symptoms have greatly eroded.

The results showed a huge range of benefits, with lower diabetes risk factors, a decrease in abdominal fat as well as fat within the liver, improvements associated with a reduced risk of metabolic syndrome. FMD cycles also increased the lymphoid-to-myeloid ratio, "an indicator of a more youthful immune system," according to USC researchers. FMD participants reduced their biological age by 2.5 years on average

This could be interesting. I doubt they consider fasting tho.

For years, American nutrition guidance has been generally applied: Drink water, limit your intake of added sugars, try to eat a balanced diet.
But that guidance has never been able to take into account how drastically different individual responses are to what we eat, says Pennington Biomedical Research Center clinical science professor Leanne Redman, who's working on the new study.
"Even when you provide people the same exact diet, the exact number of calories and carbohydrates, vitamins, proteins and minerals, we still see a wide variation in how people respond," she says.

This could be interesting. I doubt they consider fasting tho.

In all my years trusting my general practitioner, not a single one ever discussed diet with me. And the time they did it was when I was having terrible GERD/IBS and they told me to increase fiber intake and reduce red meat(which made it worse), or when they wanted to put me on a statin when I turned 40 as a protective measure, even though at the time my cholesterol wasn't all that high(my trigs were much worse).

I don't even bother going to the doctor anymore as my health is significantly better than it has been for the past 20 years due to my own changes to my diet and intermittent fasting.

In all my years trusting my general practitioner, not a single one ever discussed diet with me. And the time they did it was when I was having terrible GERD/IBS and they told me to increase fiber intake and reduce red meat(which made it worse), or when they wanted to put me on a statin when I turned 40 as a protective measure, even though at the time my cholesterol wasn't all that high(my trigs were much worse).

I don't even bother going to the doctor anymore as my health is significantly better than it has been for the past 20 years due to my own changes to my diet and intermittent fasting.
I go regularly still. There's other things than diet they check.

For nearly the last two weeks I moved to only eating once per day and it is honestly my favorite way of eating now. My meal consists of mostly animal protein and fat(which helps keep me satiated) and very limited carbs which come in the form of jasmine rice or new potatoes plus a mix of cruciferous veggies.

Not only has this been even better for my health and wellbeing, it is also been a far superior way for me to use less resources and produce far less waste.

My wife asked me how much more weight do I plan on losing. She said I should stop because I'm getting too small. I'm still at 226/227 right now, but that is the lowest I have been in probably 12-14 years.

I want to get down to ~215 which would be the lowest in 20 years.

16/8 IF
Keto

My wife asked me how much more weight do I plan on losing. She said I should stop because I'm getting too small. I'm still at 226/227 right now, but that is the lowest I have been in probably 12-14 years.

I want to get down to ~215 which would be the lowest in 20 years.

16/8 IF
Keto
LOL

You're in the right path then. Sounds like someone is possibly a little insecure. Maybe a good time for some gentle discussion.

I was dating a woman for 6 months. She'd joke about her inner fat girl and tell me I was too skinny. I am sitting about 25% body fat which is barely below overweight. She got offended when I point blank told her I didn't spend 5 years reclaiming my health to start ignoring it for a relationship or to stay with someone who doesn't support and appreciate my self improvements.

A month later I had to move on because she never accepted how I like to cook. She even admitted she really wanted to try it as it looked delish, but still refused. I reached a point my where health and weight were trending back. I literally would have healthy meals to prepare for us and she insisted on fast food cuz it was easier.

Ultimately I decided I didn't want to make a life with someone who was headed for long term age related health issues. I can understand that isn't always predictable and uncontrollable health events are one thing, but habits which I know end up as type 2 diabetes and other poor health do not support my futures goals of travel and adventure. I felt like she wouldn't put in the effort to keep herself reasonably healthy.

Marriage is different, but you may want to keep in mind she's now got to adjust to a changed man. That can be a scary thought if she isn't reassured by the new you on why you've changed. Older men in control of themselves are rare enough to receive attention from women of all types. I would make certain she understands how this change impacts my feelings for her. And it is entirely possible you many decide you have a new view now about what type of health you want in a mate.

well it took me a little over a 3 weeks to lose my goal of 10 pounds on IF. Not the rate I used to but I did it in time for vacation. Could be that I’m a little older but my guess is that it more likely was that I went too hard and slowed my metabolism too often. I was doing 3 hour windows about 5 days a week.

LOL

You're in the right path then. Sounds like someone is possibly a little insecure. Maybe a good time for some gentle discussion.

I was dating a woman for 6 months. She'd joke about her inner fat girl and tell me I was too skinny. I am sitting about 25% body fat which is barely below overweight. She got offended when I point blank told her I didn't spend 5 years reclaiming my health to start ignoring it for a relationship or to stay with someone who doesn't support and appreciate my self improvements.

A month later I had to move on because she never accepted how I like to cook. She even admitted she really wanted to try it as it looked delish, but still refused. I reached a point my where health and weight were trending back. I literally would have healthy meals to prepare for us and she insisted on fast food cuz it was easier.

Ultimately I decided I didn't want to make a life with someone who was headed for long term age related health issues. I can understand that isn't always predictable and uncontrollable health events are one thing, but habits which I know end up as type 2 diabetes and other poor health do not support my futures goals of travel and adventure. I felt like she wouldn't put in the effort to keep herself reasonably healthy.

Marriage is different, but you may want to keep in mind she's now got to adjust to a changed man. That can be a scary thought if she isn't reassured by the new you on why you've changed. Older men in control of themselves are rare enough to receive attention from women of all types. I would make certain she understands how this change impacts my feelings for her. And it is entirely possible you many decide you have a new view now about what type of health you want in a mate.

Nah, she's good. I told her that I wouldn't be fat when I retired from the AF 4.5 years ago, but going to work in Afghanistan after I retired set me back significantly with my health. The food was pretty much all carbs with no meat or vegetables. I worked 6/12s and when I was back in my room, I only had a low bunk bed with place to sit upright so I pretty much laid down when I wasn't at work. It's been a yo-yo since then ~240-268lbs for about the last 4 years. Now, I'm getting back to where I was early in our marriage, but to get back to where I was when we met, well that would be ~195lbs and 22 years ago. I don't think I'll ever see that weight again just do do muscle mass.

She's Filipina so we primarily eat many varieties of Asian food and I can just cook something else, or little or no rice with most meals.

LOL

Nobody hates on weight loss/improving your physique more than women towards other women.

I have questions and they were not addressed.

The study’s limitations included its reliance on self-reported dietary information, which may be affected by participant’s memory or recall and may not accurately assess typical eating patterns. Factors that may also play a role in health, outside of daily duration of eating and cause of death, were not included in the analysis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom