Sony PS3 Sales Plummet (2 Viewers)

I've heard rumors of ME2 going to PC aswell as 360, but nothing about multi console, not that rumors are ever really accurate.

How often does EA release an exclusive title? Heck there will probably be a cell phone version knowing EA.

I'd say its a high possibility that we see it on PS3. Might be a few months later at worst, but still a high possibility.

The question is more how often does "EA" do so. The studios they have acquired not so much. That said I wouldnt be surprised to see it hit PS3 either...

So, let's talk about the future. That's sony's breadbasket -- they always promise a great future. We've beat the hell out of the past and proven that Sony is in a distant 3rd place; let's focus on the future.

What is going to happen? Sony doesn't seem to have the appetite to cut prices. So will a system that cost double ever penetrate? Not without some killer apps. Are there any hints out there of killer apps in 09?

the only way sony gets a killer apps is completely in house develope itself. Sony bet the future on BluRay. (no anti-pop this is not ps3 bashing). Sony is not a gaming company in the vien of Nintendo or Sega was, they are a entertainment company (that includes movies, hardware, music and games), and BluRay is the foundation of Sony's future for the at least the next 10 years.

Yes, i'm sure technically the PS3 is a good gaming machine, but you have view in the overal Sony marketing plan in how the PS3 is integrated into that plan. Sony will not make a lot of money on gaming hardware or software at this point, becase the Wii, not the 360, is what really destroyed the gaming marketd for Sony. BluRay is the basket Sony has but its eggs in. Thats why you are starting to see players come out now below the cost of the PS3. The PS3 as a BluRay market penetrator has achived all the market share its going to get.

Last edited:
the only way sony gets a killer apps is completely in house develope itself. Sony bet the future on BluRay. (no anti-pop this is not ps3 bashing). Sony is not a gaming company in the vien of Nintendo or Sega was, they are a entertainment company (that includes movies, hardware, music and games), and BluRay is the foundation of Sony's future for the at least the next 10 years.

Yes, i'm sure technically the PS3 is a good gaming machine, but you have view in the overal Sony marketing plan in how the PS3 is integrated into that plan. Sony will not make a lot of money on gaming hardware or software at this point, becase the Wii, not the 360, is what really destroyed the gaming marketd for Sony. BluRay is the basket Sony has but its eggs in. Thats why you are starting to see players come out now below the cost of the PS3. The PS3 as a BluRay market penetrator has achived all the market share its going to get.

I don't completely disagree with you, but why is everyone so quick to talk like Bluray is a failure? DVD players were released in 1996/97, but it wasn't until 2004 that Walmart even stopped carrying movies on VHS. DVDs weren't an overnight success. Let's be honest here - the PS3 AND bluray technology are relatively young in their life cycles, whereas the 360 and dvds are at least at their height (or past it).

If the PS3 comes down in price as bluray technology becomes cheaper and movies get cheaper, how does that spell the end for the PS3 as a bluray market penetrator? Back about 6 years ago I bought an Xbox to have as a backup dvd player/game console. In that sense, the XBox was a dvd market penetrator for me. DVDs had been out for about 5 years, but they were JUST catching on. Who's to say that this won't happen for Bluray?

Sure, Sony put a lot of eggs in the bluray basket, but they still have a lot invested in the PS3. Oh, and any so called "killer apps" that distinguish one console from another pretty much have to be in house these days.

Last edited:
I don't completely disagree with you, but why is everyone so quick to talk like Bluray is a failure? DVD players were released in 1996/97, but it wasn't until 2004 that Walmart even stopped carrying movies on VHS. DVDs weren't an overnight success. Let's be honest here - the PS3 AND bluray technology are relatively young in their life cycles, whereas the 360 and dvds are at least at their height (or past it).

Sure, Sony put a lot of eggs in the bluray basket, but they still have a lot invested in the PS3. If the PS3 comes down in price as bluray technology becomes cheaper and movies get cheaper, how does that spell the end for the PS3 as a bluray market penetrator? Back about 6 years ago I already had a stand alone dvd player, but I bought an Xbox to have as a backup dvd player/game console. In that sense, the XBox was a dvd market penetrator for me. DVDs had been out for about 5 years, but they were JUST catching on. Who's to say that this won't happen for Bluray?

It very well could, no doubt. The question becomes, will there be suitable lifespan for bluray before downloads become the standard? Most industry people seem to agree that it won't be too too long before there is no physical media to touch, only downloads.

Infrastructure will need to improve a bit, but all accounts are that HD downloads will be sooner rather than later.

It very well could, no doubt. The question becomes, will there be suitable lifespan for bluray before downloads become the standard? Most industry people seem to agree that it won't be too too long before there is no physical media to touch, only downloads.

Infrastructure will need to improve a bit, but all accounts are that HD downloads will be sooner rather than later.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Downloads and streaming is the future of digital content.

If the PS3 comes down in price as bluray technology becomes cheaper and movies get cheaper, how does that spell the end for the PS3 as a bluray market penetrator? Back about 6 years ago I bought an Xbox to have as a backup dvd player/game console. In that sense, the XBox was a dvd market penetrator for me. DVDs had been out for about 5 years, but they were JUST catching on. Who's to say that this won't happen for Bluray?

Sure, Sony put a lot of eggs in the bluray basket, but they still have a lot invested in the PS3. Oh, and any so called "killer apps" that distinguish one console from another pretty much have to be in house these days.

there some differences between the dvd and bluRay product lifecycles.

With dvd, all you had to do was buy a dvd player. you could plug it into your tv you already had and you it worked, and you could see immediate difference over vhs.

with blur ray you need the player, a $1,000+ Hdtv, and a $300+ sourround sound system. So where the upgrade cost from vhs to dvd was only a few hundred dollars, upgrading from dvd to bluray can easily cost $2,000.

now, we all agree hd movies are superior to std movies, but its like you just don't miss what you don't know your missing. Upconverted DVD's look great, and in some instances (depending on cinematography), don't really look a lot different than hd. You also have access to HD over cable and satalite, which for me is probably the big reason why i never needed to spend $600 on a bluRay player, because all had to was turn on HBO HD at home and watch the movie.

the netfix/360 connection is fantastic (though at some point they have to enable for most of their library, not just the old catalog) and has significantly changed my mind about the potential for streaming HD downloads. From what i understand the same service is now coming to Tivo as well.

I can tell you right now, the minute movie companies think they can make more money (or have significantly lower cost) distributing movies over the internet instead of the more expensive rout of burning, packaging and shipping discs, they will drop bluRay completely in a second.

I'm hoping God war of 3 and Killzone 2 are great games for PS3...I'll be buying those for sure.

I have been dissapointed by every PS3 exclusive with the exception of MSG4(this game is awesome, yeah too many cinematics, but this game is an incredible experience)

MSG4- this game is great, love it..a reason to buy the ps3..but then again, right when this game releases GOW 2 and left 4 dead(360 exclusives)launch soon after...360 continuosly plays the game "anything you can do, we can do better"

Now on to the dissapointments for PS3 which are numerous.

Drake's fortune? Dissapointing..I had a little bit of fun for a while..just an average game at best.

Ratchet and clark? Nice, if you are 10 years old.

Little Big planet...if you had a major head injury or just came out of a como.. this might be a good game for rehab..ya know, like to get your basic reflexes back. Other than that this game would be good for a beer coaster at best. This game is one of the biggest let downs in gaming history.

Resistance 2- kinda fun, at first. But this game came across as half baked and poorly optimised. The urine color coating on the screen doesn't help things. Even besides this the game has other problems. Certain parts are pretty fun though. Nice rental at the most..

Warhawk- I have yet to play this game but due to not having a single player element, I most likely never will because of this.

360 exclusives...like 3-5 individually blow all of these to kingdom come above(except for perhaps MSG 4). Heck, left 4 dead and GOW 2 beat all of the above making them look laughable, including MSG4.

Killzone 2 and Gods of war 3 could change things quite a bit though for PS3. Killzone 2 looks unbelievable.

wow....that's just retardulous [tm-obwhiteo]

drake's fortune was money...no replay value but certainly a very good game

ratchet & clank is money.....just a fun platform game...played it through twice

LBP is money although i have not played around with the level creator.....it's a fun game

haven't played R2 yet but the first was a solid shooter and i don't see why this one wouldn't be....ZOMG!!11!!, it's no halo3

and warhawk is just downright $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....probably my favorite multiplayer game besides horde on GOW2

honestly sackhappy, i think you just expect way too much from games......

Last edited:
I'm hoping God war of 3 and Killzone 2 are great games for PS3...I'll be buying those for sure.

I have been dissapointed by every PS3 exclusive with the exception of MSG4(this game is awesome, yeah too many cinematics, but this game is an incredible experience)

MSG4- this game is great, love it..a reason to buy the ps3..but then again, right when this game releases GOW 2 and left 4 dead(360 exclusives)launch soon after...360 continuosly plays the game "anything you can do, we can do better"

Now on to the dissapointments for PS3 which are numerous.

Drake's fortune? Dissapointing..I had a little bit of fun for a while..just an average game at best.

Ratchet and clark? Nice, if you are 10 years old.

Little Big planet...if you had a major head injury or just came out of a como.. this might be a good game for rehab..ya know, like to get your basic reflexes back. Other than that this game would be good for a beer coaster at best. This game is one of the biggest let downs in gaming history.

Resistance 2- kinda fun, at first. But this game came across as half baked and poorly optimised. The urine color coating on the screen doesn't help things. Even besides this the game has other problems. Certain parts are pretty fun though. Nice rental at the most..

Warhawk- I have yet to play this game but due to not having a single player element, I most likely never will because of this.

360 exclusives...like 3-5 individually blow all of these to kingdom come above(except for perhaps MSG 4). Heck, left 4 dead and GOW 2 beat all of the above making them look laughable, including MSG4.

Killzone 2 and Gods of war 3 could change things quite a bit though for PS3. Killzone 2 looks unbelievable.

I am with you except for on Little Big Planet... It hooks you in and the some of the user created levels are insane

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom