Saints sign Chase Young to 1-year deal up to 13M (2.7M base, 1.86M signing, 450K workout, 7.99M total gameday roster bonus) (1 Viewer)

Each time I read a comment about Young's work ethic "issue", the "issue" is more exaggerated than the last.

He doesn't "take plays off", he isn't "lazy", he doesn't "not give 100% effort", his play isn't lackadaisical, and he doesn't need to "make what's between his ears match his ability". His professional reputation and the 13M he just received say otherwise.

Here's what is observably true, IMO: it is extremely rare that he chases down broken plays. When he loses a rep, he is not chasing the ball carrier if he's on the opposite side and is more than 10 yards away. When his defense is gassed from being on the field too long, he's super sluggish and it's more noticeable because he's billed as an elite pass rusher. With all that being said, when the ball is snapped and his rep begins, you're getting 1000% elite play up until he makes a sack or loses that rep.

To me, it doesn't look like a work ethic issue, but more of a stamina issue. It could also be self-preservation as to not subject his 13M dollar body to the risk of injury trying to make a play with a low probability of doing so. I don't completely agree with last one, but neither equate to being lazy or having poor work ethic IMO

An observably true opinion. Chuckles...that may be accurate...we'll see. I'm willing to go w/ the fatigue angle

Each time I read a comment about Young's work ethic "issue", the "issue" is more exaggerated than the last.

He doesn't "take plays off", he isn't "lazy", he doesn't "not give 100% effort", his play isn't lackadaisical, and he doesn't need to "make what's between his ears match his ability". His professional reputation and the 13M he just received say otherwise.

Here's what is observably true, IMO: it is extremely rare that he chases down broken plays. When he loses a rep, he is not chasing the ball carrier if he's on the opposite side and is more than 10 yards away. When his defense is gassed from being on the field too long, he's super sluggish and it's more noticeable because he's billed as an elite pass rusher. With all that being said, when the ball is snapped and his rep begins, you're getting 1000% elite play up until he makes a sack or loses that rep.

To me, it doesn't look like a work ethic issue, but more of a stamina issue. It could also be self-preservation as to not subject his 13M dollar body to the risk of injury trying to make a play with a low probability of doing so. I don't completely agree with last one, but neither equate to being lazy or having poor work ethic IMO

That's an interesting point of view. I'm not one that is hyper critical of Young though I did see him not finish some plays for S.F. But, I confess I have not spent a lot of time specifically watching Young and have only really watched YouTube highlight videos and the like. So, is this something that he has had an issue with for his entire career or could this be related to being out of shape due to the neck injury he played with last year? Or could it be an issue with him not wanting to further injure his neck while trying to make plays that he thinks are too far away for him to make an impact?

I believe "desperation" is the word you're looking for. It is said to be preferred by 9 out of 10 SaintsReport posters.

I was fine with the Young signing even at a full $13 million and even after we found out he needed surgery. But, I do think it's true that we were desperate for a pass rusher and that Young was really the only guy in a reasonable price range that offered the potential impact and upside that we needed. We likely could not go into the market for the Daniele Hunter types and most of the rest of the options were either too old, too expensive, not correct fits, without a lot of upside, or signed by someone else. So, I think in that sense the Saints were desperate to sign Young because he was the only real option in their price range that could have the kind of impact on the pass rush that they need.

The result was that they were willing to take risks that some other teams were not willing to take. S.F. made the same calculation when they traded for him last year despite him having a neck injury at the time. That being said, the Saints a great job of protecting themselves by only risking about $5 million if he isn't able to play after the surgery and protecting themselves with bonuses only paid per game if he plays. I don't really think the surgery is going to be an issue and that he will likely play ever game this year, barring other injuries, but it's an overall great deal especially considering that they were in a position where they had to get a major potential pass rushing upgrade in free agency or be forced to take one at #14.

That's a new one. I wonder how we are able to spread per game bonuses over a 5 year period as a signing bonus. Mickey and Khai seem to have uncovered another loophole.

Either that or the added 4 void years in hopes that he would justify them signing him to a longer term contract?

Either that or the added 4 void years in hopes that he would justify them signing him to a longer term contract?

Not really sure. I don't believe I have ever heard of this concept. I know what LTB and NLTB incentives are, just never seen the concept of it being treated as a signing bonus over a five year period.

To my knowledge, void years are indeed the only way to do this, but I would think the cap hit for that would accelerate as soon as the void kicks in.

This guy's contract details have got to be the most elusive we have ever encountered. Everyday there is a new wrinkle we learn of. lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom