Saints sign Chase Young to 1-year deal up to 13M (2.7M base, 1.86M signing, 450K workout, 7.99M total gameday roster bonus) (3 Viewers)

Just proved my point, I won't argue the facts....but in many instances, facts without context are useless.....prime example.....

Fact you stated - Carr's 1st year as a starter here (to excuse away his poor start and inconsistent play).....

Fact I stated - 2 of the QB's in the division on teams we absolutely needed to beat the 1st time around....both 1st year starters, one basically a rookie (2nd year player, he had 4 starts his rookie year).....

Those teams we lost to when we desperately needed wins were in the same boat as we were with Carr......so your statement of fact (used as an excuse) doesn't really add up.....

And some folks don't seem to mind going back to the days of mediocrity or worse.....whilst they make up a myriad of utter BS excuses as to why this team has regressed since DA has become the HC.....

Because I am a Saints fan, and DA isn't going anywhere I'm hoping to be proven dead wrong about DA this upcoming season, but he has shown zero signs of being a competent HC, IMO......

I'm a lot less miserable now that the Chase Young contract has been vetted thoroughly.....somewhat low risk, high reward possibly.....pretty good deal.....
They won more games this last year than the year previous. Technically, they're getting better

Just proved my point, I won't argue the facts....but in many instances, facts without context are useless.....prime example.....
Facts without context are indeed useless.
Fact you stated - Carr's 1st year as a starter here (to excuse away his poor start and inconsistent play).....
Context...Carr and the WRs weren't on the same page much of the first half of the season. They improved in the second half of the season. Context, yeah.
Fact I stated - 2 of the QB's in the division on teams we absolutely needed to beat the 1st time around....both 1st year starters, one basically a rookie (2nd year player, he had 4 starts his rookie year).....
And, we beat them the second time around. I mean, they're division games. Those are never gimmes no matter how good/bad they are in a given season.
Those teams we lost to when we desperately needed wins were in the same boat as we were with Carr......so your statement of fact (used as an excuse) doesn't really add up.....
No they weren't. Some were, some weren't. But that's a bit more subjective.
And some folks don't seem to mind going back to the days of mediocrity or worse.....whilst they make up a myriad of utter BS excuses as to why this team has regressed since DA has become the HC.....
Lol, just no. No one here actually wants to go back to the days of mediocrity. We all want a winning team. We all have our own opinions as to why we are where we are. To each his own.
Because I am a Saints fan, and DA isn't going anywhere I'm hoping to be proven dead wrong about DA this upcoming season, but he has shown zero signs of being a competent HC, IMO......
Agreed.
I'm a lot less miserable now that the Chase Young contract has been vetted thoroughly.....somewhat low risk, high reward possibly.....pretty good deal.....
Yep. :9:

So if I’m reading the contract information correctly, he only gets his per game bonus if he’s active that week. So say he somehow not ready for week 1 because of his neck. He will be inactive and he won’t get his bonus that week. That sounds like a clause for pre-existing neck injury even though it’s not specifically stated that way.

I guess what those tweets mean is if the surgery/procedure goes horribly wrong and he can’t play this year we can’t cut him to avoid the contract but in that case we should still have the option of putting him on IR and avoiding the 7.99m bonus for being active on gamedays.

Found the below to be a good, concise description:

Lol it's been proven multiple times that the fan perspective of Allen does not match the lockerroom perspective of him. Everyone thinks they can identify beta/alpha etc its a bunch of hogwash. I believe in Paternal/Maternal influences and both have their positives/negatives but one isn't better than the other, they just need to be complimented correctly.

I think your point above is wishcasting.

The team went through another "awesome" training camp last year, only to derp on the field starting with Grupe missing a chip shot win against the Packers. Then we had the Carr yelling at his receivers, and Olave street racing, Baun fumbling his int., the team not showing up at home against the Falcons, Moreau dropping an easy GW TD against Jack that ended up costing us a wild card. This is not a team who has "institutional control" from their head coach. Who decided that Pete deserved another year as OC last year? That's a wasted season. Close it all off with the B- grade that ranked 28th, with the other 4 coaches being canned. And no, no points for closing out the season with wins. Haslett won his last 4 games in whatever year, and that was a mirage.

Right now he's the coach we have, and we'll all hope that Kubiak can help, that Carr will settle down in year 2, that they can draft wisely, not with their egos. But until that point, DA's record is who he is. No wins get given for people believing the perception that the players and the locker room like the guy. In one breath players will say publicly they like their coach. In their next breath they'll tell their agents - get me out of here as fast as you can and get me to a team with a better QB and better HC.

Last edited:
Idk, arguably you can say Chase is a 1st round pick that might not be ready for TC. In a nutshell he's their 2nd 1st round pick this year.
I see what you are saying, but over time, there has to be a depreciation value attached. He’s a former 1st rd pick, already journeyman-esque, with an injury. Not sure if I would view him as a “1st rd pick” at the moment😬

I think your point above is wishcasting.

The team went through another "awesome" training camp last year, only to derp on the field starting with Grupe missing a chip shot win against the Packers. Then we had the Carr yelling at his receivers, and Olave street racing, Baun fumbling his int., Moreau dropping an easy GW TD against Jack that ended up costing us a wild card. This is not a team who has "institutional control" from their head coach. Who decided that Pete deserved another year as OC last year? That's a wasted season. Close it all off with the B- grade that ranked 28th, with the other 4 coaches being canned. And no, no points for closing out the season with wins. Haslett won his last 4 games in whatever year, and that was a mirage.

Right now he's the coach we have, and we'll all hope that Kubiak can help, that Carr will settle down in year 2, that they can draft wisely, not with their egos. But until that point, DA's record is who he is. No wins get given for people believing the perception that the players and the locker room like the guy. In one breath players will say publicly they like their coach. In their next breath they'll tell their agents - get me out of here as fast as you can and get me to a team with a better QB and better HC.
Cool beans

Lol it's been proven multiple times that the fan perspective of Allen does not match the lockerroom perspective of him.
How so? It sure sounds like the locker room perspective of him is not all positive. He was not graded well in the players' evaluations and the "culture" of the team's locker room disintegrated very quickly under his leadership such that many veterans seem to be a little concerned. We'll see how he rebounds, but I would not say the fan perspective is automatically incorrect.

How so? It sure sounds like the locker room perspective of him is not all positive. He was not graded well in the players' evaluations and the "culture" of the team's locker room disintegrated very quickly under his leadership such that many veterans seem to be a little concerned. We'll see how he rebounds, but I would not say the fan perspective is automatically incorrect.
right on

Context...Carr and the WRs weren't on the same page much of the first half of the season. They improved in the second half of the season. Context, yeah.

And who is at fault for that? And why is that somehow excusable (it isn't) because certainly both Mayfield and Ridder had similar issues and if they didn't, then why?

Context in your post above is lacking.....IMO....but it's cool, it is what it is....

And who is at fault for that?
No idea. Too many variables. But I'd attribute it to what i stated and possibly PC not anticipating how to get the most out of the offense at the time.
And why is that somehow excusable (it isn't) because certainly both Mayfield and Ridder had similar issues and if they didn't, then why?
They actually did have their own issues. It wasnt every week, like it wasnt every week for Carr. Players are human.
Context in your post above is lacking.....IMO....but it's cool, it is what it is....
Cool indeed.

Each time I read a comment about Young's work ethic "issue", the "issue" is more exaggerated than the last.

He doesn't "take plays off", he isn't "lazy", he doesn't "not give 100% effort", his play isn't lackadaisical, and he doesn't need to "make what's between his ears match his ability". His professional reputation and the 13M he just received say otherwise.

Here's what is observably true, IMO: it is extremely rare that he chases down broken plays. When he loses a rep, he is not chasing the ball carrier if he's on the opposite side and is more than 10 yards away. When his defense is gassed from being on the field too long, he's super sluggish and it's more noticeable because he's billed as an elite pass rusher. With all that being said, when the ball is snapped and his rep begins, you're getting 1000% elite play up until he makes a sack or loses that rep.

To me, it doesn't look like a work ethic issue, but more of a stamina issue. It could also be self-preservation as to not subject his 13M dollar body to the risk of injury trying to make a play with a low probability of doing so. I don't completely agree with last one, but neither equate to being lazy or having poor work ethic IMO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom