Saints sign Chase Young to 1-year deal up to 13M (2.7M base, 1.86M signing, 450K workout, 7.99M total gameday roster bonus) (1 Viewer)

There was a whole heck of a lot more dysfunction than Chase on that defense and team. And they didn't just trade away Chase, they traded away Sweat as well, which shocked me. There were some major organizational issues in Washington and with a the team and coaching staff being revamped, I think Chase was at least in part scapegoated.

He had a nice rookie season and there was a lot of optimism for him until his injury essentially derailed his career. I'm not sure he's ever fully recovered mentally from that.

I am hoping this will be a fresh start for him and that a solid 2024 season would do wonders for his confidence.

There's certainly risk that won't be the case, which is why Loomis hedged their bet on him with the games played stipulation. It's essentially $5 million guaranteed rather than $13 million, which makes a big difference.
Not sure if it was dysfunction. They paid their 2 DTs (if I remember correctly). Which they may feel it’s easier to replace the DEs, than DTs. If that’s the case, I agree with them. Not sure though

Not sure if it was dysfunction. They paid their 2 DTs (if I remember correctly). Which they may feel it’s easier to replace the DEs, than DTs. If that’s the case, I agree with them. Not sure though
They did, well, sort of. They didn't really have a plan and their defense went from meh to completely terrible after the trade. Of course, no one plans to trade 2 young, former first round picks on the defensive line. Sweat was a solid player and Young still hadn't really gotten back to his old self before the ACL injury. It's possible the front office knew Rivera was basically on his last legs and would be gone at the end of the season and they were prepping for a new regime to come in and rebuild.

They might get a comp pick, but they're absolutely not getting a 3rd round pick back.
Right now they are projected to get a 5th rounder. They lost Young and Darnold for 5th round AAV, and signed Leonard Floyd at an AAV that cancels one of those two picks.

I would assume that Young’s value gets recalculated based on actual earnings, so they may not get much if anything when it’s decided next offseason. We should actually want them to get a 5th, that means he played all season for us.

Right now they are projected to get a 5th rounder. They lost Young and Darnold for 5th round AAV, and signed Leonard Floyd at an AAV that cancels one of those two picks.

I would assume that Young’s value gets recalculated based on actual earnings, so they may not get much if anything when it’s decided next offseason. We should actually want them to get a 5th, that means he played all season for us.
Right, I was thinking a 5th would be what could possibly be expected. I wonder if Sweat (was traded to Chicago at the same time Young was traded to SF) was part of it, but I believe he was scheduled to be a free agent at the end of last season as well.

Right, I was thinking a 5th would be what could possibly be expected. I wonder if Sweat (was traded to Chicago at the same time Young was traded to SF) was part of it, but I believe he was scheduled to be a free agent at the end of last season as well.
I thought Sweat was traded to the Eagles? Anyway I agree that they should get a 5th rounder. It could get adjusted to maybe a 4th rounder?

There was a whole heck of a lot more dysfunction than Chase on that defense and team. And they didn't just trade away Chase, they traded away Sweat as well, which shocked me. There were some major organizational issues in Washington and with a the team and coaching staff being revamped, I think Chase was at least in part scapegoated.

He had a nice rookie season and there was a lot of optimism for him until his injury essentially derailed his career. I'm not sure he's ever fully recovered mentally from that.

I am hoping this will be a fresh start for him and that a solid 2024 season would do wonders for his confidence.

There's certainly risk that won't be the case, which is why Loomis hedged their bet on him with the games played stipulation. It's essentially $5 million guaranteed rather than $13 million, which makes a big difference.

I agree that Washington was full of dysfunction, I don't agree that Chase is a scapegoat.....his play on the field in no way, warranted being the 2nd overall pick....

I'm hoping he sees the light with us for sure but I don't think there is anyway you can say that thus far he has really....underachieved....

Sure. But I think you have to balance that with the expectations they had for the #2 pick in the draft and the two years that he missed to injury. They are rightly disappointed given his draft position and the predictions that he was a can't miss star coming out of tOSU.

Still, he's produced more than Davenport and we don't have to balance his production with spending a high draft pick on him. At this point, we are only in for $5 million which is a drop in the bucket in the NFL. If he improves and gets 8 to 10 sacks it's great and if he fails we only lost $5 million.

Oh, I agree, it's a potential low risk, high reward signing.....I didn't like the initial reports of 13 mil guaranteed (which proved to be incorrect) but once the details were confirmed, I think it was a good move....hopefully it pans out....

I agree that Washington was full of dysfunction, I don't agree that Chase is a scapegoat.....his play on the field in no way, warranted being the 2nd overall pick....

I'm hoping he sees the light with us for sure but I don't think there is anyway you can say that thus far he has really....underachieved....
He's underachieved since his ACL injury yes. But he was defensive rookie of the year his first season and had some flashes showing he could be a top shelf Edge rusher.

This whole time I've been speaking of how desperate the Saints had to be to land Young, it just hit me how desperate Young had to be to sign that contract. Chuckles, it's a perfect marriage of sorts. There is nothing in that contract that benefits him unless he balls out for 17+ games.

Ultimately he knew he needed to bribe someone to sign him as no other team wanted anything to do with him. Theres no other team in the NFL that will take more injury risk, and have more injured players, than us. So he tells his agent, make it work, somehow in NOLA. And so it was.

Sure, its not a typical Loomis cap killer, but I think youre right. Desperation on both sides. Usually that doesnt end well for either side.

This whole time I've been speaking of how desperate the Saints had to be to land Young, it just hit me how desperate Young had to be to sign that contract. Chuckles, it's a perfect marriage of sorts. There is nothing in that contract that benefits him unless he balls out for 17+ games.
Every game he plays benefits him due to the per game bonuses.

Ultimately he knew he needed to bribe someone to sign him as no other team wanted anything to do with him. Theres no other team in the NFL that will take more injury risk, and have more injured players, than us. So he tells his agent, make it work, somehow in NOLA. And so it was.

Sure, its not a typical Loomis cap killer, but I think youre right. Desperation on both sides. Usually that doesnt end well for either side.
Accurate, unless both sides have the same mission. If Young wants to cash out (same guy when asked why he skipped offseason workouts “I was making money baby”) he’s got to maximize his time here and revive his career.

As of right now he’s an injured forner #2 pick who has a history of effort and commitment issues, that hasn’t fully lived up to expectations.

Saints and Young need each other, and as long as they have a common goal in mind they will both likely to put their best foot forward.

That’s the hope at least

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom