Saints select QB Spencer Rattler (1 Viewer)

Saints are not the only team who has passed on him to this point. There is usually a good reason why some players are available in the 5th round.

I like Wilson but I certainly see why he has fallen this far. He's a WR/TE tweener, but I would like to see them roll the dice on him in the 5th or 6th. Could be an interesting project to add weight to to be a move TE or teach him better route running to get separation at WR.

why even bother picking 5ths?

You try and get many rolls of dice that might hit, but remember how many great saints have come from this sort of range. Colston, Jahri, nicks etc. this is just setting picks on fire

We weren't just throwing darts at those guys though. We REALLY liked them at the draft slots we took them in. They may have seemed random to us, but they were not at all random to the Saints brass.

They did not feel the players that were left on the board merited passing on Rattler.

I didn't know about the qb reality show thing. I mean I didn't see it but I can't imagine altering a draft board for how someone acted when they were 17. Sheesh.

And one of those rolls is a former 5 Star QB with a lot of talent that needs to be developed. It's not like we don't have a need at backup QB and we don't have a franchise QB. Plus, we still have 3 more rolls of the dice and most of the guys who fit what we fans wanted at 150 are likely still there at 170.

And no roll of the dice hitting would be better than hitting on a QB late in the draft. Great teams are created that way if you get lucky on a late round QB.
that former 5 star thing is a minus for me, not a plus. He never was really good in college and really only last year was acceptable and every Oklahoma QB is good outside of him. I do not think we are in a position to take that dice roll on QB, but also jsut dont think Rattler is an interesting gamble in itself.

We weren't just throwing darts at those guys though. We REALLY liked them at the draft slots we took them in. They may have seemed random to us, but they were not at all random to the Saints brass.

They did not feel the players that were left on the board merited passing on Rattler.
So they did with a ton of missed evals, its all a game of skill and luck combined

that former 5 star thing is a minus for me, not a plus. He never was really good in college and really only last year was acceptable and every Oklahoma QB is good outside of him. I do not think we are in a position to take that dice roll on QB, but also jsut dont think Rattler is an interesting gamble in itself.
I don't think you can call one of 3 5th round picks a gamble. :unsure:

They took a flyer on him.

Then we just fundamentally disagree on this.

He hasn’t improved since he was 17. Unbelievably hyped, given everything, fell flat on his face. He’s an anti-Brees
Yuck this couldn't be further from the truth.

He was a 5* QB who was entitled when he got to Oklahoma. Didn't perform and was benched then forced to eat some serious humble pie when we transferred to South Carolina.

He went from a loaded roster at Oklahoma to a garbage can roster in SC.

All of his coaches/ teammates talk about the maturity growth he's gone through over the past few years.

I've taken a 180 on this pick. Was meh originally just because I like Haener, but honestly it's a 5th and if they can push each other and one of them ends up being our guy, that'd be insane. Obviously there's still a strong chance that neither will be good, but competition is a great thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom