Saints select QB Spencer Rattler (1 Viewer)

that former 5 star thing is a minus for me, not a plus. He never was really good in college and really only last year was acceptable and every Oklahoma QB is good outside of him. I do not think we are in a position to take that dice roll on QB, but also jsut dont think Rattler is an interesting gamble in itself.

Great point that I would agree with.....I didn't like the pick, 2 of my neighbors went to and are SC fans, they didn't care for him much.....but, you never know, he was probably just the highest rated player on the Saints board is my guess....

Yuck this couldn't be further from the truth.

He was a 5* QB who was entitled when he got to Oklahoma. Didn't perform and was benched then forced to eat some serious humble pie when we transferred to South Carolina.

He went from a loaded roster at Oklahoma to a garbage can roster in SC.

All of his coaches/ teammates talk about the maturity growth he's gone through over the past few years.
That and why is it so shameful that he lost out to Caleb Williams at Oklahoma? The number 1 overall pick in this draft…Caleb just set it on fire. It’s not that Rattler was a horrible player.

Not a fan of this pick. There were other players on the board who I thought could contribute next year. Rattler might turn into something in a couple of years but if the Saints don't start winning they are likely to get a much better QB once Carr's contract runs out.
Follow up

I'm still pretty 'meh' on the pick, but I have two caveats:
I have always been wrong about QBs in the draft. The closest I ever came was CJ Stroud, who I thought had potential (LOL). I thought Mahomes would be a complete bust and laughed hard when KC took him.

Also, when I told my wife about the Rattler pick, she got pretty excited.

So, I guess the jury will come in when it comes in :).

Saints going do Saints things. They have given up. They don't seem to care about anyone after the 4th round. I bet their "war room" is now worried more about post-draft free agents.

Back when the NFL draft was 16 rounds, a 5th round pick was still considered early. Loomis must be a "millennial" because he sure thinks these 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks are late picks and not worth the scouting effort.
Those are the late rounds though, aren’t they?

If the 7th rounders aren’t late picks, then when are those?

Those are the late rounds though, aren’t they?

If the 7th rounders aren’t late picks, then when are those?
There were also only 14 teams in the league when the draft was 16 rounds. It went to 12 rounds
in 1970 when the AFL and NFL finally merged.

that former 5 star thing is a minus for me, not a plus. He never was really good in college and really only last year was acceptable and every Oklahoma QB is good outside of him. I do not think we are in a position to take that dice roll on QB, but also jsut dont think Rattler is an interesting gamble in itself.
I don’t really mind a dice roll on a QB in the fifth round.

I would agree with you though if it was a trade up or an earlier pick.

Honestly, whether you like him or not…. He’s the first legit QB prospect we’ve drafted since Brees left - with the tools and pedigree to have a decent chance to become the QB of the future. I thought even with his faults he was a 3rd round pick at worst. To get him at 150 is pretty good considering no QB was taken until he was after the first 6 went in round 1.

I watched Rattler's 2023 'highlights' and granted I'm far from an expert, but what jumped out to me is he was primarily a one-read QB -- step back, lock on one target and sling. I hope I'm wrong.

The pick just didn't make any sense, even in the 5th round, with so many other needs for this team and the fact that they traded up to get Haener last year. I mean, if you're going to trade up to get Haener, give the kid a legitimate shot this year to show something. Also, how are you going to give all of these guys meaningful snaps (Mond, Peterson, Haener and Rattler) behind Carr to see what they actually have?

Who knows, maybe the Saints really soured on Haener after the suspension?

Anyway, considering the above, it would have made more sense had they waited until the 7th round or in the UDFA stage if they really wanted another developmental QB. They could have grabbed someone like Pratt from Tulane (ultimately went to Green Bay) or some of the other QB prospects as UDFAs.

Definitely one of the more perplexing draft selections in recent history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom