Is it just me (1 Viewer)

Couple of points from above:
Can Saints really depend on a resurgence from Cam Jordan at this point?
Would be much easier to trade down if picks were a little higher. Quit winning meaningless games late in season and moving down draft boards. Then when we get top ten pick, have the guts to trade down in multiple rounds.
Brees/Payton could overcome deficiencies on roster, mediocre QB/coach cannot. KC has a lot of holes that Mahomes/Reid cover up.
Boy, I can’t wait for next young exciting iteration of a Saints roster. Love Cam, Alvin, Demario, Latt, Honey Badger, Ram, and MT while he was here but now we’re hamstrung with their contracts and old injury prone bodies. Would have thought Mickey could have bitten a few more bullets by now on the road to recovery.

What meaningless game did they win last year? Every game they played they were trying to get to the playoffs. They weren't eliminated last year until after they beat the Falcons in the last game. If a team isn't trying to win to get into the playoffs what is the point of even playing the games?

It’s a very important position to have depth. If you’re down a corner or two due to injury, your defense takes a huge step back. With the Kool-Aid pick, this is the deepest secondary I remember us having.

I also think the trade is justified because this draft is very top heavy for corners. To me, if you didn’t get one by the early second, you would have to take a chance later on a project.

Kool-Aid could very well be the top corner in the draft when all is said and done, and we got him in the second round. He was not going to make it to our pick, so the trade was a great move.
Agreed.

You can take away Latt and it's still the best secondary we have ever had.

ya me too. shame we don’t have more picks. one year it would be nice to have like 10
And 8 of those would be gone by year 2. Walk away with 1 stud and 2 really good players and you have a successful draft. We are 2/3 of the way there. Then add a couple of Special Team players and head to Festival International

All I heard all offseason is how the Saints put themselves into a position where they have to draft need over BPA. And why we are stuck being mediocre because we never draft BPA. That good teams take BPA and then figure out needs somehow. Then last night the Saints draft BPA. They draft a corner with first round grade that fell to the the second and was top of most boards. Now there some posters that having been saying it was wrong pick because it didn’t address a need. Which is it guys? Do you want us to draft need or BPA?
Personally it’s BPA, unless you have glaring holes. You’re only as good as your weakest link. So DL or another OL would have been better in my eyes, as long as they were decent players

Couple of points from above:
Can Saints really depend on a resurgence from Cam Jordan at this point?
Would be much easier to trade down if picks were a little higher. Quit winning meaningless games late in season and moving down draft boards. Then when we get top ten pick, have the guts to trade down in multiple rounds.
Brees/Payton could overcome deficiencies on roster, mediocre QB/coach cannot. KC has a lot of holes that Mahomes/Reid cover up.
Boy, I can’t wait for next young exciting iteration of a Saints roster. Love Cam, Alvin, Demario, Latt, Honey Badger, Ram, and MT while he was here but now we’re hamstrung with their contracts and old injury prone bodies. Would have thought Mickey could have bitten a few more bullets by now on the road to recovery.
Word

I don't see a lot of difference in how the Saints handle their cap from most of the other teams.

All 32 teams' top priority is keeping up with the other 31, and they either max out the credit card or fall behind.

This claim is just simply untrue. Do you not see all the hand-wringing threads about the Saints' "kicking the can down the road" every year? Each team handles the cap differently, for sure. The Saints have chosen to keep key, expensive assets in a "win now" mode really since Brees has been here. ML and DA have not deviated much from this strategy. Other teams have different approaches that do not require the team to re-do a bunch of contracts around every year to become cap compliant.

Last edited:
Or do Saints for some time now have ultra boring drafts with fewer picks despite needing to fill numerous holes. We are stuck in NFL purgatory with no hope to get out until the older guys with big cap hits are cleaned out. Maybe then we can get some high picks then trade back for additional picks to replenish the roster. Unfortunately Loomis and Allen want to keep their jobs so we keep kicking the can down the road. It made sense to do that when Brees was still here but not anymore. Rebuild needs to happen.
No, you’re not the only one with some pretty terrible takes, but I’ll give you credit for maintaining some solid consistency, here. :fou:

To be honest l have loved our draft so far this year, wish we had a 3rd and 4th rounder but delighted with the two selections we picked

Look, Im not saying I dont agree that the selections were pretty good. Im pleased with who they took and where they took them. Its the fact that we had 2 picks in the first 4 rounds.

But a large reason we have as many holes as we have is because the lack of value we have with 2-4 round picks. You can find quality starters in those rounds. 5th round and later, your basically just throwing a hail mary. Its basically taking dibs on guys you dont want to lose in the UDFA signing frenzy. You cant build a team full of old guys who you extend to no end and late round and UDFAs.

And it even futher drills you into the hole when you spend 1st round picks on Davenport, Davenport, Turner and Penning. Ruiz hasnt lived up to his draft pick. So we devalued ear/mid round picks to pull off trades, and then we havent hit on the 1st round picks either.

So then you have large part of your cap tied up into older players youve extended, 1st round picks who dont produce and a bunch of guy who probably wouldnt even be on another teams roster.

And 8 of those would be gone by year 2. Walk away with 1 stud and 2 really good players and you have a successful draft. We are 2/3 of the way there. Then add a couple of Special Team players and head to Festival International
That is my point. Saints need about 8-10 spots fortified and you can only fill 2-3 each year unless they give themselves more bites at the apple by trading down every year.

When you are mediocre and you've missed on a few no.1 picks, you tend to have boring drafts refilling needs.

When you are mediocre and you've missed on a few no.1 picks, you tend to have boring drafts refilling needs.
Our draft was far from boring. We snagged multiple BPAs that also fill needs. Filled depth positions with solid value picks in the later rounds. 2-3 more “boring” drafts like that and this team will be stacked with talent.

That is my point. Saints need about 8-10 spots fortified and you can only fill 2-3 each year unless they give themselves more bites at the apple by trading down every year.
Trouble is if you keep biting a spoiled apple... Well you get sick??

Get that fresh clean apple in rounds 1 & 2 and leave the spoiled ones alone

Our draft was far from boring. We snagged multiple BPAs that also fill needs. Filled depth positions with solid value picks in the later rounds. 2-3 more “boring” drafts like that and this team will be stacked with talent.

My point being when your lines are weak and your thin elsewhere but you pick at 14 you don't get to draft that really exciting offensive player or top QB. You are filling needs. And you likely won't get to draft one next year either. We will likely be mediocre for a while.

My point being when your lines are weak and your thin elsewhere but you pick at 14 you don't get to draft that really exciting offensive player or top QB. You are filling needs. And you likely won't get to draft one next year either. We will likely be mediocre for a while.
"Taking care of business" can be boring in order to put a winning team on the field. But really, was our draft boring when we grabbed a T, CB, QB, a TE, WRs. and a couple of other players with good potential without a single reach?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom