Is it just me (1 Viewer)

Saints had 9 draft picks in this draft before the draft began. We’re still set to finish with 7 draft picks after the trade up for Kool-Aid, which is the standard amount of draft picks. They’ve done well with addressing 2 holes with the first 2 picks so far.

Saints had all of their picks last year in the 2023 draft. The narrative that the Saints have fewer picks “for some time now” isn’t true at all.

We’re missing our 3rd and 4th this year because we were trying hard to not be boring in the last 2 drafts by trading future picks for Olave/Penning and Haener.

It’s more accurate that it’s frustrating that we’re missing our 3rd rounder this year than making up a narrative about the Saints are in purgatory from missing picks. There’s a reason that it’s missing because it was used to address a major hole during previous drafts. The 3rd left in the SP trade to recoup a 2nd that we traded to move up for our biggest needs in 2022.
One of the Saints’ best drafts in history were when they had five picks in the first top 100 of the draft. That’s a game changer for a team with a tight cap situation and really for any team in the salary cap era. The Saints need to figure out how to make that happen again.

Or do Saints for some time now have ultra boring drafts with fewer picks despite needing to fill numerous holes. We are stuck in NFL purgatory with no hope to get out until the older guys with big cap hits are cleaned out. Maybe then we can get some high picks then trade back for additional picks to replenish the roster. Unfortunately Loomis and Allen want to keep their jobs so we keep kicking the can down the road. It made sense to do that when Brees was still here but not anymore. Rebuild needs to happen.
They took 7 players just last season.

You either stay ahead of the CB game or you end up without what you need when it matters. And our defense relies on them more than most.

It’s not like other positions. Incredibly expensive in FA and takes time to develop.

If you wait to take a CB when it’s a hole, it’s already too late.

Yeah it’s frustrating not to have a pick in every round, but IMO the most important thing about a draft is nailing your first two selections. I think we added two very good players so far with very low bust potential. If we just hit on one or two players from here, I consider it a successful draft.

All I heard all offseason is how the Saints put themselves into a position where they have to draft need over BPA. And why we are stuck being mediocre because we never draft BPA. That good teams take BPA and then figure out needs somehow. Then last night the Saints draft BPA. They draft a corner with first round grade that fell to the the second and was top of most boards. Now there some posters that having been saying it was wrong pick because it didn’t address a need. Which is it guys? Do you want us to draft need or BPA?

You either stay ahead of the CB game or you end up without what you need when it matters. And our defense relies on them more than most.

It’s not like other positions. Incredibly expensive in FA and takes time to develop.

It’s a very important position to have depth. If you’re down a corner or two due to injury, your defense takes a huge step back. With the Kool-Aid pick, this is the deepest secondary I remember us having.

I also think the trade is justified because this draft is very top heavy for corners. To me, if you didn’t get one by the early second, you would have to take a chance later on a project.

Kool-Aid could very well be the top corner in the draft when all is said and done, and we got him in the second round. He was not going to make it to our pick, so the trade was a great move.

Or do Saints for some time now have ultra boring drafts with fewer picks despite needing to fill numerous holes. We are stuck in NFL purgatory with no hope to get out until the older guys with big cap hits are cleaned out. Maybe then we can get some high picks then trade back for additional picks to replenish the roster. Unfortunately Loomis and Allen want to keep their jobs so we keep kicking the can down the road. It made sense to do that when Brees was still here but not anymore. Rebuild needs to happen.
I don't see a lot of difference in how the Saints handle their cap from most of the other teams.

All 32 teams' top priority is keeping up with the other 31, and they either max out the credit card or fall behind.

The draft is indeed more fun when we have more picks. Trading down is the way to go.

All I heard all offseason is how the Saints put themselves into a position where they have to draft need over BPA. And why we are stuck being mediocre because we never draft BPA. That good teams take BPA and then figure out needs somehow. Then last night the Saints draft BPA. They draft a corner with first round grade that fell to the the second and was top of most boards. Now there some posters that having been saying it was wrong pick because it didn’t address a need. Which is it guys? Do you want us to draft need or BPA?
It's not that complicated. Need should always be top priority, and you always pick the BPA at your need anyway.

BPA at a non-need can be fine, but I think only if the player has a high likelihood of being a game changer, (or it's late in the draft.)

I think McKinstry can be a game changer because when an opponent is afraid to pass downfield...

Last edited:

Sometimes I don’t think people understand which positions are premium and which ones are not as necessary to fill in certain ways.

I wish there was a WAR stat for football so people could see.

Couple of points from above:
Can Saints really depend on a resurgence from Cam Jordan at this point?
Would be much easier to trade down if picks were a little higher. Quit winning meaningless games late in season and moving down draft boards. Then when we get top ten pick, have the guts to trade down in multiple rounds.
Brees/Payton could overcome deficiencies on roster, mediocre QB/coach cannot. KC has a lot of holes that Mahomes/Reid cover up.
Boy, I can’t wait for next young exciting iteration of a Saints roster. Love Cam, Alvin, Demario, Latt, Honey Badger, Ram, and MT while he was here but now we’re hamstrung with their contracts and old injury prone bodies. Would have thought Mickey could have bitten a few more bullets by now on the road to recovery.

Couple of points from above:
Can Saints really depend on a resurgence from Cam Jordan at this point?
Would be much easier to trade down if picks were a little higher. Quit winning meaningless games late in season and moving down draft boards. Then when we get top ten pick, have the guts to trade down in multiple rounds.
Brees/Payton could overcome deficiencies on roster, mediocre QB/coach cannot. KC has a lot of holes that Mahomes/Reid cover up.
Boy, I can’t wait for next young exciting iteration of a Saints roster. Love Cam, Alvin, Demario, Latt, Honey Badger, Ram, and MT while he was here but now we’re hamstrung with their contracts and old injury prone bodies. Would have thought Mickey could have bitten a few more bullets by now on the road to recovery.
When did we win a meaningless game? Not that I believe any game is meaningless.

All reports are that the bears tried to trade the 9th pick and couldn’t find a partner. Trading down isn’t some automatic thing that some people think it is.

A Debbie Downer Thread In The Middle Of Draft Days.....Feels Like Cold Water Running Down My Back and Warm P Running Down My Leg At The Same Time!

Is It Just Me?

That's every position. There's not one position on the Saints roster where this does not apply.
It applies to every position indeed. The positions that lacks depth the most are usually addressed accordingly in the draft. @SweetT mentioned that CB wasn’t a need but the lack of depth, the games missed amongst our starters every year and uncertain immediate future made it a need. Especially the depth and injury history. Depth at WR, LB and DT was already addressed in FA $ this year and last year.

Our elite top 2 CBs overshadowed how much CB was a big need after OT. Going into the draft, we had our 2 entrenched starters right now. Then nothing after our top backup CB who’s coming off a shaky season out of position.

Yep. There was a big drop off in the play of the defense last year after Lattimore got hurt. Forced them to keep safeties back to help and made them vulnerable when they blitzed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom