Is it just me (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Or do Saints for some time now have ultra boring drafts with fewer picks despite needing to fill numerous holes. We are stuck in NFL purgatory with no hope to get out until the older guys with big cap hits are cleaned out. Maybe then we can get some high picks then trade back for additional picks to replenish the roster. Unfortunately Loomis and Allen want to keep their jobs so we keep kicking the can down the road. It made sense to do that when Brees was still here but not anymore. Rebuild needs to happen.

I like boring drafts but understand your lament.

First, I applaud what we did last night. I liked the player selected. I liked that we did not move up. It was a common-sense pick, the type that the Ravens make year after year.

Second, I do not have a strong opinion on the McKinstry selection. I just don't know enough about the player.

Third, I agree that we have been in purgatory by having fewer picks than we should have because we keep trading away future picks to replace some of the picks we traded away the year before. Hopefully, we will not trade away future picks in this draft. Let's take our medicine this year. But if I had to bet, we will be trading up tomorrow.

To be honest l have loved our draft so far this year, wish we had a 3rd and 4th rounder but delighted with the two selections we picked
Paired with atlanta being a dumpster fire makes it all the better.

Unfortunately I’m also impressed with Tampas draft.

Every team has their “ifs”. If the Saints get a a few of these:

Ruiz type turnaround for Penning
Fuaga can start and play well
Anything out of P Turner
Chase young closer to rookie cy
Resurgent Cam Jordan
Continued growth AT Perry and even Shaspeed for that matter

An offensive play caller that has a little creativity lol we were so predictable last year.

My biggest surprise for next year though I think will be the addition of Willie gay.

Or do Saints for some time now have ultra boring drafts with fewer picks despite needing to fill numerous holes. We are stuck in NFL purgatory with no hope to get out until the older guys with big cap hits are cleaned out. Maybe then we can get some high picks then trade back for additional picks to replenish the roster. Unfortunately Loomis and Allen want to keep their jobs so we keep kicking the can down the road. It made sense to do that when Brees was still here but not anymore. Rebuild needs to happen.
Saints had 9 draft picks in this draft before the draft began. We’re still set to finish with 7 draft picks after the trade up for Kool-Aid, which is the standard amount of draft picks. They’ve done well with addressing 2 holes with the first 2 picks so far.

Saints had all of their picks last year in the 2023 draft. The narrative that the Saints have fewer picks “for some time now” isn’t true at all.

We’re missing our 3rd and 4th this year because we were trying hard to not be boring in the last 2 drafts by trading future picks for Olave/Penning and Haener.

It’s more accurate that it’s frustrating that we’re missing our 3rd rounder this year than making up a narrative about the Saints are in purgatory from missing picks. There’s a reason that it’s missing because it was used to address a major hole during previous drafts. The 3rd left in the SP trade to recoup a 2nd that we traded to move up for our biggest needs in 2022.

Last edited:
We're kinda stuck for four years even if we play our cards right most likely. It seems we're starting to be more responsible which is a step in the right direction.

Saints had 9 draft picks in this draft before the draft began. We’re still set to finish with 7 draft picks after the trade up for Kool-Aid, which is the standard amount of draft picks. They’ve done well with addressing 2 holes with the first 2 picks so far.

Saints had all of their picks last year in the 2023 draft. The narrative that the Saints have fewer picks “for some time now” isn’t true at all.

We’re missing our 3rd and 4th this year because we were trying hard to not be boring in the last 2 drafts by trading future picks for Olave/Penning and Haener. It’s a lot easier to say you dislike that we’re missing our 3rd rounder this year than to make up a narrative to randomly take shots at Loomis and DA
Filled holes with our two picks so far?
How was CB a hole?
I like the pick, but it wasn’t a hole.
Could be if Latt is traded

Filled holes with our two picks so far?
How was CB a hole?
I like the pick, but it wasn’t a hole
We didn’t have any CB depth after our top 3 CBs. If either Latt, Adebo, or Taylor went down with a offseason season ending injury, our 3rd CB would’ve been Shemar Jean-Charles or Faion Hicks, two former PS players.

Our top 2 CBs Lattimore and Adebo’s futures are also in limbo with impending FA or trade uncertainty.

We didn’t have any CB depth after our top 3 CBs. If either Latt, Adebo, or Taylor went down with a offseason season ending injury, our 3rd CB would’ve been Shemar Jean-Charles or Faion Hicks, two former PS players.

Our top 2 CBs Lattimore and Adebo’s futures are also in limbo with impending FA or trade uncertainty.
You are speaking in terms of “what if” and also future tense. Thats not what I call a hole. For me, a hole is a glaring need that needs to be filled asap. Guess we have different ideas of what a hole is

You are speaking in terms of “what if” and also future tense. Thats not what I call a hole. For me, a hole is a glaring need that needs to be filled asap. Guess we have different ideas of what a hole is
If we lack depth at a position going into the draft then it’s a hole and need to me. It’s not as big of a hole as lacking a starter at OT but lacking depth is still a hole.

I don’t think Lattimore’s roster status is a what if. Lattimore trade talk is a real issue right now in terms of the uncertainty surrounding it from Loomis’ media responses. KAM looks like he was drafted as insurance for any potential moves along with having a capable starter as depth.

If we lack depth at a position going into the draft then it’s a hole and need to me. It’s not as big of a hole as lacking a starter at OT but lacking depth is still a hole.

I don’t think Lattimore’s roster status is a what if. Lattimore trade talk is a real issue right now in terms of the uncertainty surrounding it from Loomis’ media responses. KAM looks like he was drafted as insurance for any potential moves along with having a capable starter as depth.
Personally the draft for me shakes out as:
Holes
Needs
Wants

As of right now, Latt is on the team. That spot becomes a hole when his name is not listed on our depth chart. No different than when we drafted Taylor bc we had Roby. Now we are back to being 4 deep at the moment. I can’t say that is a hole

That's every position. There's not one position on the Saints roster where this does not apply.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom