Earth (1 Viewer)

Since last week when I was talking about that pineapple express bomb cyclone. That which is a swirly thing, looks like and acts like hurricane, since then we've had that one come and go, lot's of flooding and damage. Twelve people killed.

Now we've another one moving through with another one forming up for later this week as well. That will make four of these pineapple express bomb cyclones back to back pelting us with wind and water.

The government moved some of their east coast hurricane watching aircraft to the west coast, and now that they have flying instruments here, maybe after they measure these storms and they'll drop that goofy "pineapple express bomb cyclone" bit and start calling them what they really are, Hurricanes.

Right now the Federal government has declared an emergency as they should. At this moment 90% of the state is under flood watch. Population wise that's 32 million people who are living under flood watch. There are evacuation orders here and there. No one has anywhere to go. Already about half of the population has been somewhat flooded, so that flood watch is not out of line.

Here were I am the roads have rocks, wood chunks, and mud strewn across them. Some of the rocks are fairly large, and one has to steer around the mud which is pushing out onto the roadway in spots half blocking it. Trees keep falling over and we keep cutting them out of the way. I've personally cut away one.

I'm carrying a chainsaw in the trunk of my car, and another one in my pickup. I've used one of them already to cut a 10 inch tree into chunks, and then I tossed the chunks to the side so I could get to the county road, and go on to town for some food.

Last night this latest wave came in with 50 to 60 mile an hour winds and 5 1/4 inches of rain thus far. It's raining now and we're suppose to have an additional 5 or so more inches before this one blows out of here.

It won't be over then, another storm is forming over the ocean which is forecast to come in next week.

Since this series of storms began in December we've had a total of about 26 inches of rain here, that will likely be up to 30 inches by tomorrow.

This isn't the way to end a drought. Some folks on lower ground are ordering a copy of Ark Building for Dummies

10341675_1409972962620511_1599650029808730785_n.jpg

Last edited:
Since last week when I was talking about that pineapple express bomb cyclone. That which is a swirly thing, looks like and acts like hurricane, since then we've had that one come and go, lot's of flooding and damage. Twelve people killed.

Now we've another one moving through with another one forming up for later this week as well. That will make four of these pineapple express bomb cyclones back to back pelting us with wind and water.

The government moved some of their east coast hurricane watching aircraft to the west coast, and now that they have flying instruments here, maybe after they measure these storms and they'll drop that goofy "pineapple express bomb cyclone" bit and start calling them what they really are, Hurricanes.

Right now the Federal government has declared an emergency as they should. At this moment 90% of the state is under flood watch. Population wise that's 32 million people who are living under flood watch. There are evacuation orders here and there. No one has anywhere to go. Already about half of the population has been somewhat flooded, so that flood watch is not out of line.

Here were I am the roads have rocks, wood chunks, and mud strewn across them. Some of the rocks are fairly large, and one has to steer around the mud which is pushing out onto the roadway in spots half blocking it. Trees keep falling over and we keep cutting them out of the way. I've personally cut away one.

I'm carrying a chainsaw in the trunk of my car, and another one in my pickup. I've used one of them already to cut a 10 inch tree into chunks, and then I tossed the chunks to the side so I could get to the county road, and go on to town for some food.

Last night this latest wave came in with 50 to 60 mile an hour winds and 5 1/4 inches of rain thus far. It's raining now and we're suppose to have an additional 5 or so more inches before this one blows out of here.

It won't be over then, another storm is forming over the ocean which is forecast to come in next week.

Since this series of storms began in December we've had a total of about 26 inches of rain here, that will likely be up to 30 inches by tomorrow.

This isn't the way to end a drought. Some folks on lower ground are ordering a copy of Ark Building for Dummies

10341675_1409972962620511_1599650029808730785_n.jpg
I really like your posts but these events arent similar to a hurricane. They are bigger but lack the focused energy of a hurricane. To put it in perspective, average sea level pressure on a typical day is around 1012mb. The lowest pressure California has recorded this week is around 1000mb. Hurricanes have been recorded as low as 870mb.

Ive been all over Monterey County, San Jose, San Mateo, Sacramento, Placer, Marin, San Fransisco and pretty much every place from Truckee to North Bay down to Watsonville. The flooding has really been overstated. Looks more like a typical heavy rain event in the South in terms of structure loss.

The amount of hype that these systems have brought will greatly diminish the impact of warnings when much higher impact storms hit the area in the future.

More fun. This mess is about 5 miles north of my place down in the gorge:

Fmjs6TWXkAEDm-G

Caltrans says it will take three days to it clean up.

I doubt that, the up slope will slide down as they remove material from the bottom. And some of the boulders in it will be too big to load up and haul off without drilling and explosives used to break them into manageable chunks.

Knowing the approximate thickness, about 30 ft, and estimating the width at 60 ft, and height at 150 ft that would be 10,000 yards of material, which is about what 666, (the devils number), of large dump trucks can haul.

So I'm going to guess it will take at least 12 days to break the boulders and haul it all off if they put 2 big loaders, one tracked drill and compressor unit, one large excavator with reciprocating hammer, one bulldozer, and 20 large dump trucks on the job.

There isn't enough room there for a larger crew than that to work.

There's more heavy rain coming tonight through tomorrow. Perhaps another 3-4 inches of rain. Since the heavy rains have come starting in mid December, to now, one solid month of hard rain falling almost every day, we've had almost 40 inches of total rainfall.

After Monday it's suppose to clear up for the rest of January. :)

The most rainfall I've seen here in a year is 68 inches, so the amount is not that unusual, what it unusual is how fast it has been falling over such a short time period.

What has made it so weird is we went three years without an accumulated total for all three of those years being equal to what normally comes in one year, and now we have about a normal years total, or 2/3 of a maximum years total, all in one month.

This is the second rock slide to close hwy 140 in the last month. The first slide happened further north in the Park. It was much smaller slide than this one, but it killed two people.

Heavy rains it seems are more dangerous around here than fires insofar as how many people have been killed here over the last few years. Two more in the county were killed by rain a few years ago. That's double our death toll to fires for the same period in this county.

Two or three years ago we also lost a whole family, two adults, one baby, and their dog to heat exhaustion on the same side of that gorge, about two miles further north from where the rock slide is today. One of our recent fire deaths also happened on that same side of the gorge halfway between where the family was killed and today's rock slide.

That's a very beautiful, but very dangerous place on this Earth.

Last edited:
More fun. This mess is about 5 miles north of my place down in the gorge:

Fmjs6TWXkAEDm-G

Caltrans says it will take three days to it clean up.

I doubt that, the up slope will slide down as they remove material from the bottom. And some of the boulders in it will be too big to load up and haul off without drilling and explosives used to break them into manageable chunks.

Knowing the approximate thickness, about 30 ft, and estimating the width at 60 ft, and height at 150 ft that would be 10,000 yards of material, which is about what 666, (the devils number), of large dump trucks can haul.

So I'm going to guess it will take at least 12 days to break the boulders and haul it all off if they put 2 big loaders, one tracked drill and compressor unit, one large excavator with reciprocating hammer, one bulldozer, and 20 large dump trucks on the job.

There isn't enough room there for a larger crew than that to work.

There's more heavy rain coming tonight through tomorrow. Perhaps another 3-4 inches of rain. Since the heavy rains have come starting in mid December, to now, one solid month of hard rain falling almost every day, we've had almost 40 inches of total rainfall.

After Monday it's suppose to clear up for the rest of January. :)

The most rainfall I've seen here in a year is 68 inches, so the amount is not that unusual, what it unusual is how fast it has been falling over such a short time period.

What has made it so weird is we went three years without an accumulated total for all three of those years being equal to what normally comes in one year, and now we have about a normal years total, or 2/3 of a maximum years total, all in one month.

This is the second rock slide to close hwy 140 in the last month. The first slide happened further north in the Park. It was much smaller slide than this one, but it killed two people.

Heavy rains it seems are more dangerous around here than fires insofar as how many people have been killed here over the last few years. Two more in the county were killed by rain a few years ago. That's double our death toll to fires for the same period in this county.
3 guys with a shovel, a supervisor drinking coffee, and 2 workers with a radios....they'll have it cleaned up in no time.

3 guys with a shovel, a supervisor drinking coffee, and 2 workers with a radios....they'll have it cleaned up in no time.
You must have been living in the old CCC camps during the great depression.

:D

Here's a CCC joke.

A CCC fellow was leaning on his shovel sleeping when a big snake crawled up and bit him on the ankle.

That woke him up, he yawned and then said to the snake, "you son of a birch, if I had another shovel I would kill you."

You must have been living in the old CCC camps during the great depression.

:D

Here's a CCC joke.

A CCC fellow was leaning on his shovel sleeping when a big snake crawled up and bit him on the ankle.

That woke him up, he yawned and then said to the snake, "you son of a birch, if I had another shovel I would kill you."
My Grandfather used to call me a WPA worker. He'd say wake up it's
quitting time.

I just drove up to the house. My front door was ajar, and about 25 feet from that slightly open door was a young bobcat playing in my yard.

I wasn't close enough to determine it's gender, nor more about it's age other than it's about half grown.

A nice looking kitty who didn't appear to have entered my house while I was gone, although it could have had it wanted to.

As I'm typing I keep almost typing the word "she" when what I want to say is "it," so maybe it is a female. I hope it's a female and sticks around here and establishes a den in my yard as the last one did.

I've missed my dependable yard kitty, she was here for more than 10 years, but has been gone now for the last four years. She raised a whole batch of kittens here. Maybe this one's a kitten from one of her kittens. It's clearly not one of her's.

She liked me but didn't like my car at all. She kept treating it like it was a gigantic creature she was trying to run off. I don't think she ever figured out that it was just a mindless machine. A machine which would move so silently that it would sneak up and embarrass her when it was suddenly there about 30 or 40 feet away. That irritated her, she would become very indignant when that happened.

She apparently couldn't see me inside my car through the closed windows, nor did it seem like she could see me through my house windows either.

Coyotes and ravens can certainly see me through closed windows, but most other wildlife it seems cannot. More than likely buzzards, eagles, and hawks can see through windows as well. But not owls, turkeys, nor the other smaller generic birds.

I just drove up to the house. My front door was ajar, and about 25 feet from that slightly open door was a young bobcat playing in my yard.

I wasn't close enough to determine it's gender, nor more about it's age other than it's about half grown.

A nice looking kitty who didn't appear to have entered my house while I was gone, although it could have had it wanted to.

As I'm typing I keep almost typing the word "she" when what I want to say is "it," so maybe it is a female. I hope it's a female and sticks around here and establishes a den in my yard as the last one did.

I've missed my dependable yard kitty, she was here for more than 10 years, but has been gone now for the last four years. She raised a whole batch of kittens here. Maybe this one's a kitten from one of her kittens. It's clearly not one of her's.

She liked me but didn't like my car at all. She kept treating it like it was a gigantic creature she was trying to run off. I don't think she ever figured out that it was just a mindless machine. A machine which would move so silently that it would sneak up and embarrass her when it was suddenly there about 30 or 40 feet away. That irritated her, she would become very indignant when that happened.

She apparently couldn't see me inside my car through the closed windows, nor did it seem like she could see me through my house windows either.

Coyotes and ravens can certainly see me through closed windows, but most other wildlife it seems cannot. More than likely buzzards, eagles, and hawks can see through windows as well. But not owls, turkeys, nor the other smaller generic birds.
I came through your area headed up to Bear Valley ski resort a week or two ago. You live in beautiful area. Then again, I haven't found an ugly spot in California after a wet season. Wish I could have taken more time but getting to Bear Valley is not an easy process from anywhere in the state and we had to get back to Sacramento to fly out the next morning.

I should be getting tired of California but I am not. Heading back this afternoon.

Oh Deer, I just saw the storm track for that Hurricane Hilary, it passes right over my house at midnight on Sunday.

This will be the third or forth hurricane we've had this year. We're not supposed to have hurricanes here. It's not only the third or forth one for this year, it's the third or forth for the last hundred years.

The reason I'm not sure of the count is those other hurricanes weren't called hurricanes, and they didn't name them after humans, but they were hurricanes. They called them Atmospheric River Pineapple Express Bomb Cyclones. It's easier to type Hurricane. I'm glad they are going to call them hurricanes from now on.

The last one flooded our Post Office to knee deep, it was closed for 6 months. It just reopened,,, now this. They didn't do anything to keep it from flooding again, just fixed and cleaned it up. If it floods again it will cause us to go a whole year without a Post Office.

Now I understand why the highway department put a plastic cover over a gravel pile along the highway this morning. It's to keep their gravel pile from washing away in the storm.

I suppose I better walk around the place and put some stuff under cover that I wouldn't want to get wet.

This is the "it never rains here season". It's the middle of brown season for crying out loud. The other season is green season, that's when it rains.

I'm not going to board up my windows, or evacuate. Nothing like that. I only evacuate for raging forest fires.

I'll put a chainsaw in the back of my pickup if I go out. Might need to cut a fallen tree from off of the road. Might need a shovel as well. Probably ought to have a rope. Ropes are handy to have.

I'll pack my yellow foul weather gear in the pickup as well.

We're kind of low on food, so I better go to town tomorrow and get some more food.

Last edited:
About 6 PM I was going to tell you about what the hurricane was do to me 30 hours before it arrived and passed over my house.

The sky turned black, thunder was continuous. The lightning that caused the thunder was cloud to cloud. We had winds that measured 35 MPH.

I would have posted that at about 6 PM except for the fact that the power company shut off our power to prevent wild fires.

After we'd had about two inches of rain and the wild fire risk had passed they turned our power back on after four hours of it being off.

I'm not complaining, that was very sensible of them.

Wow, 30 hours before that cat 4 hurricane, although it will be diminished long before it passes over my head has already produced one hell of a storm.

I have never seen such a storm on land before. However I have seen storms at sea that are this bad.

The lighting was continues for two hours. The thunder was continuous as well. We've had two inches of hard rain.

This is all 30 hours before the main event. The center of the storm is forecast to pass over my house at 12 midnight tomorrow. This sample is more than 24 hours before the main event.

What is happening is unknown. On the east coast and gulf coast when a hurricane comes ashore it passed over hundreds of miles of flat low elevation lands.

Here it is not doing that, it's being lofted into up to high elevations in the shortly after coming ashore. I don't know what that will cause. I doubt that the weather forecasters know what that will cause.

What it seems to be causing is a narrow band of black clouds, with violent lightning over the mountains while leaving the central valley with clear blue calm skies.

This started to happen shortly before sun set, and I could see from here what was happening over the low elevation central valley to the west. They were having a nice afternoon

They had clear blue skies, while we were having violent black skies 10 miles away, with continuous thunder and heavy rains. Clearly forcing a hurricane early weather pattern up to higher elevations causes it to become violent.

I'm at 3,000 feet elevation, and just a bit north of me that elevation rises to 5,000 feet and continues to rise even beyond that.

I don't know what that does to a major hurricane. I doubt that the weather forecasters know what it caused either.

This is new ground we're exploring. I will report what I see and hear. It might be mighty loud about midnight tomorrow.

Anyway it has calmed down and our power is back on. I kind of think it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when the main event happens here.

Last edited:
The last hurricane I was involved with was Ida......and it was in Pennsylvania haha. I used to keep my camper out there on family land on a river between July and labor day. It rained 5-7" in 24 hours there and the river did the old 100 year flood thing. My camper was up over the bank and 50 yards from the river that normally is 2-3' deep that time of year. Up the 20' bank and 50 yards away my camper had 6' of water in it. Total loss.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom