Earth (1 Viewer)

The grass is always browner on the other side. In California they can’t possibly imagine having to deal with hurricanes. Northeast cant imagine dealing with tornadoes, people in tornado probe areas are thankful they do not have to worry about earthquakes. It’s a never ending loop of being more comfortable with what we have become accustomed with combined with underestimating how much differently infrastructure has evolved for the threats of other areas.
The only thing is that you can predict a hurricanes impact a day out, you never know when an earthquake or a tornado will pop up. You can have indications that conditions are ripe, but you don't know if/when/where. Given the choice between all those natural disasters, I'll take hurricanes every day. I may lose everything I own, but I have the chance of saving my life and the lives of my family.

The only thing is that you can predict a hurricanes impact a day out, you never know when an earthquake or a tornado will pop up. You can have indications that conditions are ripe, but you don't know if/when/where. Given the choice between all those natural disasters, I'll take hurricanes every day. I may lose everything I own, but I have the chance of saving my life and the lives of my family.
I agree to an extent.

To me the scariest place is in the mountains near burn scars during rain events. Rockslides, mudlides, landslides, debris flows and true flash flooding.

Statistically, heatwaves and artic blasts kill more than everything else by a huge margin but those are boring and don’t instill the fear they should.

The grass is always browner on the other side. In California they can’t possibly imagine having to deal with hurricanes. Northeast cant imagine dealing with tornadoes, people in tornado probe areas are thankful they do not have to worry about earthquakes. It’s a never ending loop of being more comfortable with what we have become accustomed with combined with underestimating how much differently infrastructure has evolved for the threats of other areas.
We had a hurricane in California this year. It was Kay back in mid September. It actually helped us rather than hurt us. It helped us put out the bad Fairview fire in the southern part of the state.

Here at my house it gave us the first taste of rain we'd had that amounted to anything in months. As I recall it gave us a half inch.

We have a hurricane every few years. It's becoming a much more often thing with climate change. Here's a list of them since the 1854.

We had a hurricane in California this year. It was Kay back in mid September. It actually helped us rather than hurt us. It helped us put out the bad Fairview fire in the southern part of the state.

Here at my house it gave us the first taste of rain we'd had that amounted to anything in months. As I recall it gave us a half inch.

We have a hurricane every few years. It's becoming a much more often thing with climate change. Here's a list of them since the 1854.

I thought anything in the Pacific was called a cyclone, not a hurricane. I've been educated, thank you!

I thought anything in the Pacific was called a cyclone, not a hurricane. I've been educated, thank you!
They used to be. They were still called cyclones when I was in one off of the Aleutian Islands in 1988. It was an arctic cyclone. They're not quite the same. Real bad but not the same at all. We measured a 115 knot wind gust, but that might not have been accurate because the instrument was stripped off of the mast in the same moment.

For a bit after the change they called the arctic ones hurricanes too, then they changed it again, and now they're called Polar lows. When they leave the arctic overland they also now call them bomb cyclones.

I was there. It was a minimal tropical storm. Of the 70+ tropical systems Ive been in, it would be ranked near the bottom.

Mississippi also had wildfires this year. Our wildfires and your hurricanes are comparable. :hihi:

I was also on the Fairview fire.

@SamAndreas since you live in the Sierra's have you ever heard the stories of the hunters who take a yearly trip to an undisclosed location in the Sierra Nevada's and witness the strange sounds of perhaps bigfoot? This was featured on "Missing 411 The Hunted", the clip below is one of the experiences.

@SamAndreas since you live in the Sierra's have you ever heard the stories of the hunters who take a yearly trip to an undisclosed location in the Sierra Nevada's and witness the strange sounds of perhaps bigfoot? This was featured on "Missing 411 The Hunted", the clip below is one of the experiences.

I haven't heard about this from hunters, but I have heard sounds like that and I know what's doing it.

Coyotes like to get at one end of a culvert under a road or one going up the side of a steep hillside, and then use the pipe like a huge speaking trumpet to distort and amplify their voices. The range of sounds they can make that way can be kind of spooky.

They're just dogs but they have voices which go beyond the range of what normal house dogs can do. But like dogs they're quite playful, and they have the ability to throw their voices around like the worlds best ventriloquist.

One knack they have is to throw their voice across quite a distance and have it sound like they're up against the side of my house. Many the times I've been wakened at night with it sounding like they're right below my bedroom window, like three feet away, a whole bunch of them having a party.

But then when morning comes I go out and find where they were by their tracks I find that they weren't even within a hundred feet of the house. And what sounded like a dozen of them was actually just two or three of them.

I haven't heard about this from hunters, but I have heard sounds like that and I know what's doing it.

Coyotes like to get at one end of a culvert under a road or one going up the side of a steep hillside, and then use the pipe like a huge speaking trumpet to distort and amplify their voices. The range of sounds they can make that way can be kind of spooky.

They're just dogs but they have voices which go beyond the range of what normal house dogs can do. But like dogs they're quite playful, and they have the ability to throw their voices around like the worlds best ventriloquist.

One knack they have is to throw their voice across quite a distance and have it sound like they're up against the side of my house. Many the times I've been wakened at night with it sounding like they're right below my bedroom window, like three feet away, a whole bunch of them having a party.

But then when morning comes I go out and find where they were by their tracks I find that they weren't even within a hundred feet of the house. And what sounded like a dozen of them was actually just two or three of them.
I disagree. It's certainly bigfoot. You can even hear him speaking at one point in the video. It answered so many of my questions because I once heard that same sound and talking deep in the forests of Portugal and just assumed that bigfeets speak Portuguese but it appears that they, like humans, speak the native tongue of the land.

I figured you would have an idea, Rogan calls BS but with no real explanation for BS but only that they weren't scared and it sounded like Samurai's. I did see Tilda the Orangutan can mimic vocalizations.
I dunno about being scared if hearing the "Sierra Sounds" on multiple occasions, it seems like you would get used to it, to a degree. Though I sometimes take hunting trips for a week with my buddies and one time between the alcohol and gummy candy, we seen "Lil Cousin" ;).

I disagree. It's certainly bigfoot. You can even hear him speaking at one point in the video. It answered so many of my questions because I once heard that same sound and talking deep in the forests of Portugal and just assumed that bigfeets speak Portuguese but it appears that they, like humans, speak the native tongue of the land.
So you're saying they speak Utian or Miwoken up here in these hills.

That would sure explain why I couldn't understand it, and therefore though it was coyote I was hearing.

a91f50b3e42ba46bd68021e4531b7d76.jpg

Oh deer:

deer-in-headlights.jpg

The giant atmospheric river that is forecast to follow the last week's very large river storm is not arriving as planed. They've set back it's arrival time twice now. And it's starting to look like they might set back that arrival time even more.

That might be good news, but it might not be good news at all. What it's doing out over the Pacific is swirling around on itself now, and it's intensifying, and with my last look I see an eye wall is starting to form.

The forecasters have gone from calling it a giant atmospheric river to calling it a pineapple bomb cyclone.

Pineapple express is what they used to call an atmospheric river, and a cyclone is what they used to call a hurricane, so the way I'm reading this is a giant atmospheric river is turning into a hurricane. And they're using the word "bomb" because it is gigantic.

Here's a video clip of what that horrible one eyed monster is doing:

The current track of that storm appears to have it coming ashore on the California coast just south of Oregon. Into the redwood forest there. Very tall irreplaceable trees, with fully saturated soil below where the roots anchor them into the ground.

I sure hope the storm track shifts to the north were it would go into the very tall very fast growing fir forests which could regrow during a single humans lifetime.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom