Earth (1 Viewer)

In the article they said:

"A fleet of about 60 vessels harvested snow crab in 2020, grossing about $132 million, according to an economic report by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries and the Alaska Fisheries Information Network."

When I was there the fleet that fished for snow crab numbered 600 to a 1,000 boats, not a lousy 60 of them. A $132 million gross haul is like nothing compared to the mid 1980's.

40 years of gross overfishing did it. The fishermen knew 35 years ago that they were overfishing it. "BUT our JOBS"!! came first. They undermined the Alaska Game and Fish when they tried to do something to save that fishery.

I don't feel sorry for them a bit. They can go get a job at Cosco changing tires as far as I'm concerned.
My old roommate was from a family of Chesapeake Bay watermen. When crab and oyster limits were enforced in the early 90’s I asked him if watermen wouldn’t self-limit?

“Nope. They’d take every oyster and crab out of the bay because they don’t want the other guy to get them” and at that point I lost sympathy.

You will be in the same spot as the valley and have to put a 1k gallon tank and have water delivered weekly. The areas surrounding Fresno have been in that position for two years already.
I have a 2.000 gallon tank at my moms house, and a new 2,500 gallon tank at my house already.

It's my moms well that is almost dry now. I expect to be hauling water from my house to her's starting about a month from now. The last time her well went dry I hauled her water for three years.

But that time my well's production was not diminishing as WELL.

A well water pun there. ;)

OK, it's time to make a post which will go against the grain.

The severe water shortage I've experienced during the last nine months has lead to a startling discovery about male patterned balding.

I had a bald spot on the top of my head which had bothered me for years. I had shoulder length hair because i never cut my hair. But at the 3 inches below my shoulder length my hair was self trimming, the hairs would break off at that point. My beard would self trim at 8 inches.

It's been nine months now since my water shortage began. During that water shortage my household has gone from using hundreds of gallons a day down to using just 35 gallons a day for three people. my son still takes a bath every other day, but i don't take a bath but every ten days.

Guess what, that has solved my male patterned balding. My hair now extended to the middle of my back and my beard to the middle of my chest. The bald spot on the top of my head has filled in.

The amount of skin itching that I experienced all over my body parts has reduced. A bit less bathing seems better. Once in ten days seems to be the right amount.

The problems are probably caused by soap. I don't think basic rinsing in water would be a problem. Just don't use soap or shampoo.

I don't give a good GOD damn what other people think! No one has told me during the last nine months that I stink. Not one comment by others has been made which I have heard. Most of my neighbors are having the same problem.

I still do laundry in the usual way, and wear clean clothes every day. But I haven't had a crotch itch for months and months on end.

The way things are going my hair will be waist length and be thick by years end, and my beard will reach my belly button.

:)

If you have the water to do it I suggest bath and hair shampoo once a week. But no more than once a week.

My water supply is continuing to diminish. I might have to go to bare sponge baths which only use a half gallon per every two weeks.

I don't care how I smell. Fork it! This situation is dire.

OK, it's time to make a post which will go against the grain.

The severe water shortage I've experienced during the last nine months has lead to a startling discovery about male patterned balding.

I had a bald spot on the top of my head which had bothered me for years. I had shoulder length hair because i never cut my hair. But at the 3 inches below my shoulder length my hair was self trimming, the hairs would break off at that point. My beard would self trim at 8 inches.

It's been nine months now since my water shortage began. During that water shortage my household has gone from using hundreds of gallons a day down to using just 35 gallons a day for three people. my son still takes a bath every other day, but i don't take a bath but every ten days.

Guess what, that has solved my male patterned balding. My hair now extended to the middle of my back and my beard to the middle of my chest. The bald spot on the top of my head has filled in.

The amount of skin itching that I experienced all over my body parts has reduced. A bit less bathing seems better. Once in ten days seems to be the right amount.

The problems are probably caused by soap. I don't think basic rinsing in water would be a problem. Just don't use soap or shampoo.

I don't give a good GOD damn what other people think! No one has told me during the last nine months that I stink. Not one comment by others has been made which I have heard. Most of my neighbors are having the same problem.

I still do laundry in the usual way, and wear clean clothes every day. But I haven't had a crotch itch for months and months on end.

The way things are going my hair will be waist length and be thick by years end, and my beard will reach my belly button.

:)

If you have the water to do it I suggest bath and hair shampoo once a week. But no more than once a week.

My water supply is continuing to diminish. I might have to go to bare sponge baths which only use a half gallon per every two weeks.

I don't care how I smell. Fork it! This situation is dire.
I'm never washing my Johnson with soap again! RIP wifey-pooh!

See this:

When I clean out one of my wood stoves I don't have a piddling little amount of ash like what you see in that bucket

What I will have is two to three buckets like that heaping full. If I leave them in my house they will vent some small amount of fumes into the house lasting for days, months. Can't have that, yet I can't dump them on the forest bottom either.

If I set them outside I have to set them far away from the house where water dripping off of the roof will fill the bucket and float the ash up and out of the bucket and spread it all over the place making a big mess.

The thing it do is have a 55 gallon barrel with the top cut off that I dump the ash in it, and then places a steel lid over it.
It will be brimming full long before the heating season is over so I have to get a garden hose out and soak it every day for a week, and then dump it out around where the barrel sits. And then soak it down every day for a week or more after doing that.

Ashes in a bucket the size they show in that tweet can smolder and still be alive for two months. The bucket can be cool, or even be cold to the touch, and still there will be live ashes glowing in there.

Never underestimate the power of ashes that come out of a wood stove. Not until they are a year or more old assume that they are out.

Well, (pun intended), today I was working on my well. A surprising thing happened.

I was concentrating on what I was doing and was not paying attention to my surroundings when all of a sudden a wet something rammed my left knee from the backside and almost knocked my off my feet. At the same moment I also smelled a pig, so when I turned around I was not all that shocked to see a giant sow butting up against my leg.

She clearly wanted her gigantic ears scratched. All mammal creatures want their ears scratched. No amount of ear scratching will ever be enough.

She was a domesticated Berkshire breed. About 600 to 800 pounds. Pregnant.

There was nothing to do but scratch her ears, and she wanted her ears scratched for about a half hour.

Finally when I quit scratching them, and told her to go home she grunted once, and turned and trotted off back into the forest from winch she had came.

Well, (pun intended), today I was working on my well. A surprising thing happened.

I was concentrating on what I was doing and was not paying attention to my surroundings when all of a sudden a wet something rammed my left knee from the backside and almost knocked my off my feet. At the same moment I also smelled a pig, so when I turned around I was not all that shocked to see a giant sow butting up against my leg.

She clearly wanted her gigantic ears scratched. All mammal creatures want their ears scratched. No amount of ear scratching will ever be enough.

She was a domesticated Berkshire breed. About 600 to 800 pounds. Pregnant.

There was nothing to do but scratch her ears, and she wanted her ears scratched for about a half hour.

Finally when I quit scratching them, and told her to go home she grunted once, and turned and trotted off back into the forest from winch she had came.
Bacon!

Our Potbelly escaped today, he figured out how to lift the fence, caught him twice, and put him back in and the darn thing found another part to lift that I missed. He left an unbelievable musk on me that would make a skunk turnaround, so I’m done picking him up but he got smart and won’t let me catch him now anyway. I suppose the coyotes will get him tonight, I heard them yelping close by the last time I went outside to see if he went back to his house.

I returned from a trip to town and the Earth aspects I encountered certainly were interesting.

This New Year's eve days events will undoubtedly be referred to by the locals as the New Year's eve flood of 2022. It remains to be seen if the word "Great" will be added to that. It could grow worse as the day and evening wears on.

What's happening is we're ending a four day period which is called an Atmospheric River. They are winter storms on west coasts which border tropical zones out to sea. Similar to Hurricanes in that they are category storms, they come as Cat 1 to Cat 5. This one is a Cat 4 river.

Wikipedia describes them as:

"An atmospheric river (AR) is a narrow corridor or filament of concentrated moisture in the atmosphere. Other names for this phenomenon are tropical plume, tropical connection, moisture plume, water vapor surge, and cloud band.[1][2]"

"Atmospheric rivers consist of narrow bands of enhanced water vapor transport, typically along the boundaries between large areas of divergent surface air flow, including some frontal zones in association with extratropical cyclones that form over the oceans.[3][4][5][6] Pineapple Express storms are the most commonly represented and recognized type of atmospheric rivers; the name is due to the warm water vapor plumes originating over the Hawaiian tropics that follow various paths towards western North America, arriving at latitudes from California and the Pacific Northwest to British Columbia and even southeast Alaska. [7][8]"

"Atmospheric rivers are typically several thousand kilometers long and only a few hundred kilometers wide, and a single one can carry a greater flux of water than Earth's largest river, the Amazon River.[4]"

A Cat 4 river like the one we're having now is far larger than what is a typical winter atmospheric river is. This one which has been pounding us for the last four days would carry a flux of water greater than the Amazon River in flood stage.

Now to put that in prospective that is a hose of water hosing down the entire state of California, Oregon, Washington and parts of British Columbia. Like a full hose flow being moved up and down the coast line, pounding spots hard and then moving on. We got hosed hard the first day, and now again on the last day we're being pounded again.

Tomorrow it's supposed to clear out and be over, warm and sunny. Anyway that explains how a high mountain top can be flooded. And now I'll move on to talk about my trip to town in it.

Upon leaving the house I drove down a hanging canyon road into the gorge which Hwy 140 travels along. There was places along that steep paved county road down into the gorge which had mud and rocks washing out into the roadway. Places with 6 inches of flowing water rapids over those fist sized rocks down the center of that road.

I took it slow and my car paddled through that quite well. When I got to the bottom of the gorge I crossed the creek on a bridge which still had about a foot a clearance between the top of the raging water and the bottom of the bridge.

Once on the highway the next bridge I passed by had only inches of clearance above the water, Had I had to cross that bridge I would have stopped gotten out and looked that one over before crossing it.

The next bridge above that is a private bridge which often floods over the top, I've seen it be a foot over the top and one time I saw a Winnebago try to cross it and be swept off of the side. I stopped and helped the people out of their totaled Winnebago that day. I always carry rope in a car in the mountains. The folks were saved but they were rendered homeless,,, at least until they rented a car to get home.

Today the water was flowing a good two feet above that brides road surface, and if a car tried to cross it probably would lead to the deaths of all who were inside it.

This would be a good time to mention that on the first day of this storm several miles higher up on the same highway in the Park, two people were killed in a rock slide which swept across the highway which was caused by these rains. So this storm has already taken lives.

Since I didn't need to cross those badly endangered bridges I was OK. However as I climbed up out of the gorge up over the Midpines summit I entered the bottom of that atmospheric river in my car. Up until then I had been below the river, but with the increasing altitude I entered the rain cloud itself from the bottom up and was suddenly it a high wind zone where rain moved sideways everyways, and even upward, besides falling down. Had I not been in the protection of my car I fear I would have drown in that. It might have filled my lungs when I tried to breath. Maybe so, maybe not. I sure an glad I was not caught out in that.

In there the highway surface had about 1 to 2 inches of standing water on the pavement. The noise of the storm inside the car was deafening. And even with the gas pedal pressed quite a ways down the fastest my otherwise zippy sports car could go was about 15 miles an hour.

Fortunately once topping the mountain divide the road dropped back below the storm as it should be, the rest of the trip to town was not that bad.

Things were better on the way home, but the creek level had risen about an additional foot. I saw two homes with water standing up around their mid front door level. The bridge road surface I had to cross was still a wee bit above the raging flood waters. An inch or two. I did get out and look over that bridge closely on foot before crossing it with my car. When I did cross it I drove fast as I could make the car sprint.

At home I have a half inch of water on the floor of my basement so far. A pump is running now, it shouldn't cause a problem beyond an hour to clean up the mess tomorrow.

This is the second major flooding I have seen way up here in the higher elevations. Both were caused by atmospheric rivers, and both killed two people in the county. So far this one has only killed two, however this one is not quite over.

While I've been Writing this the rain has picked up for yet a another hard go at us. Here in the house the noise of it is kind of deafening and the winds are howling in the 40 to 50 MPH range. It's worse now than it was this morning. I drove to town then, but I would not do so now.

I knew that your area was going to be hit by this but I was hoping for snow and a slow thaw. Hopefully, something good comes out of it.

I knew that your area was going to be hit by this but I was hoping for snow and a slow thaw. Hopefully, something good comes out of it.
Thanks for your concern. I'm well accustom to the ways of the wild, so I take these things in stride.

Apparently there's another atmospheric river coming, following a few days behind this one, so we'll have more rain after a few warm days. This is after all water, and we sure were short of having enough water.

Here where we are snow does come but it melts in a week or less. We'll get a total snow fall in two storms, totaling a foot a year. I've never seen more than 8 inches and never seen it last more than a week.

On thing I didn't mention is that along the headwaters of the Chowchilla river is that the ponds were brimming full to overflowing this morning, and the head water creeks were flowing at full flood state. This is the first time those ponds and larger drainage creeks have had surface water in them for two years.

So this is both good and bad thing. It certainly is how life in high mountains are. Folks who live here ought to like it, or they ought to move away.

Mostly I like it.

Mountains in Montana were a bit more exciting when I lived there. Take what we have here and add snapping, popping, crackling ice flows flowing down the river valleys in winter crushing all on the Earth before them, and meteorites from outer space striking the Earth. And also add Norther lights, and snow storms which would dump 6 feet of snow, which would stay there until late spring.

I returned from a trip to town and the Earth aspects I encountered certainly were interesting.

This New Year's eve days events will undoubtedly be referred to by the locals as the New Year's eve flood of 2022. It remains to be seen if the word "Great" will be added to that. It could grow worse as the day and evening wears on.

What's happening is we're ending a four day period which is called an Atmospheric River. They are winter storms on west coasts which border tropical zones out to sea. Similar to Hurricanes in that they are category storms, they come as Cat 1 to Cat 5. This one is a Cat 4 river.

Wikipedia describes them as:

"An atmospheric river (AR) is a narrow corridor or filament of concentrated moisture in the atmosphere. Other names for this phenomenon are tropical plume, tropical connection, moisture plume, water vapor surge, and cloud band.[1][2]"

"Atmospheric rivers consist of narrow bands of enhanced water vapor transport, typically along the boundaries between large areas of divergent surface air flow, including some frontal zones in association with extratropical cyclones that form over the oceans.[3][4][5][6] Pineapple Express storms are the most commonly represented and recognized type of atmospheric rivers; the name is due to the warm water vapor plumes originating over the Hawaiian tropics that follow various paths towards western North America, arriving at latitudes from California and the Pacific Northwest to British Columbia and even southeast Alaska. [7][8]"

"Atmospheric rivers are typically several thousand kilometers long and only a few hundred kilometers wide, and a single one can carry a greater flux of water than Earth's largest river, the Amazon River.[4]"

A Cat 4 river like the one we're having now is far larger than what is a typical winter atmospheric river is. This one which has been pounding us for the last four days would carry a flux of water greater than the Amazon River in flood stage.

Now to put that in prospective that is a hose of water hosing down the entire state of California, Oregon, Washington and parts of British Columbia. Like a full hose flow being moved up and down the coast line, pounding spots hard and then moving on. We got hosed hard the first day, and now again on the last day we're being pounded again.

Tomorrow it's supposed to clear out and be over, warm and sunny. Anyway that explains how a high mountain top can be flooded. And now I'll move on to talk about my trip to town in it.

Upon leaving the house I drove down a hanging canyon road into the gorge which Hwy 140 travels along. There was places along that steep paved county road down into the gorge which had mud and rocks washing out into the roadway. Places with 6 inches of flowing water rapids over those fist sized rocks down the center of that road.

I took it slow and my car paddled through that quite well. When I got to the bottom of the gorge I crossed the creek on a bridge which still had about a foot a clearance between the top of the raging water and the bottom of the bridge.

Once on the highway the next bridge I passed by had only inches of clearance above the water, Had I had to cross that bridge I would have stopped gotten out and looked that one over before crossing it.

The next bridge above that is a private bridge which often floods over the top, I've seen it be a foot over the top and one time I saw a Winnebago try to cross it and be swept off of the side. I stopped and helped the people out of their totaled Winnebago that day. I always carry rope in a car in the mountains. The folks were saved but they were rendered homeless,,, at least until they rented a car to get home.

Today the water was flowing a good two feet above that brides road surface, and if a car tried to cross it probably would lead to the deaths of all who were inside it.

This would be a good time to mention that on the first day of this storm several miles higher up on the same highway in the Park, two people were killed in a rock slide which swept across the highway which was caused by these rains. So this storm has already taken lives.

Since I didn't need to cross those badly endangered bridges I was OK. However as I climbed up out of the gorge up over the Midpines summit I entered the bottom of that atmospheric river in my car. Up until then I had been below the river, but with the increasing altitude I entered the rain cloud itself from the bottom up and was suddenly it a high wind zone where rain moved sideways everyways, and even upward, besides falling down. Had I not been in the protection of my car I fear I would have drown in that. It might have filled my lungs when I tried to breath. Maybe so, maybe not. I sure an glad I was not caught out in that.

In there the highway surface had about 1 to 2 inches of standing water on the pavement. The noise of the storm inside the car was deafening. And even with the gas pedal pressed quite a ways down the fastest my otherwise zippy sports car could go was about 15 miles an hour.

Fortunately once topping the mountain divide the road dropped back below the storm as it should be, the rest of the trip to town was not that bad.

Things were better on the way home, but the creek level had risen about an additional foot. I saw two homes with water standing up around their mid front door level. The bridge road surface I had to cross was still a wee bit above the raging flood waters. An inch or two. I did get out and look over that bridge closely on foot before crossing it with my car. When I did cross it I drove fast as I could make the car sprint.

At home I have a half inch of water on the floor of my basement so far. A pump is running now, it shouldn't cause a problem beyond an hour to clean up the mess tomorrow.

This is the second major flooding I have seen way up here in the higher elevations. Both were caused by atmospheric rivers, and both killed two people in the county. So far this one has only killed two, however this one is not quite over.

While I've been Writing this the rain has picked up for yet a another hard go at us. Here in the house the noise of it is kind of deafening and the winds are howling in the 40 to 50 MPH range. It's worse now than it was this morning. I drove to town then, but I would not do so now.
Visual impacts of atmospheric rivers. These arent from this event, I could not get a flight. Another big event is coming starting mid week. I will be there for that one.

Visual impacts of atmospheric rivers. These arent from this event, I could not get a flight. Another big event is coming starting mid week. I will be there for that one.

I've been so lucky over the years, where I've lived. The worst I've had to deal with is running from a hurricane when I lived in the Keys. I couldn't imagine having to deal with those conditions on a regular basis.

I've been so lucky over the years, where I've lived. The worst I've had to deal with is running from a hurricane when I lived in the Keys. I couldn't imagine having to deal with those conditions on a regular basis.
The grass is always browner on the other side. In California they can’t possibly imagine having to deal with hurricanes. Northeast cant imagine dealing with tornadoes, people in tornado probe areas are thankful they do not have to worry about earthquakes. It’s a never ending loop of being more comfortable with what we have become accustomed with combined with underestimating how much differently infrastructure has evolved for the threats of other areas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom