Television recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Dubious
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 50-55 inch television. I'd like a nice screen and would prefer something thin like an LED. Plasma could be an option, but there is a lot of natural light in this room so I fear there may be too many reflections for it.

I don't care about 3d and don't plan to ever use that functionality.

I don't care about internet or network capability. I have a WDLive for that.

$1500 is my budget.

Whatcha got?

I'll second the Samsung but will recommend a Plasma. Really do like my 2 year old 50".

If I go plasma, I think I will go with the ST50 series of Panasonic. I've had bad experiences with failing Samsung LCD's.

I'm the biggest pimper of plasmas. But if there's a lot of natural light, you gotta avoid plasma. It'll make you miserable eventually.

In all other aspects they are superior though.

Plasma is going the way of Beta video cassettes. All new research is in the LCD/LED area. Go for the LED tho- little more expensive than LCD but worth it.

Do you have issues with reflection and glare?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Not at all but our den isn't brightly lit from natural light. If watching at night we often have a floor lamp (60 watt bulb) on that's in a corner and it doesn't cause any problem.

Plasma is going the way of Beta video cassettes. All new research is in the LCD/LED area. Go for the LED tho- little more expensive than LCD but worth it.

In fairness, new research will not affect a purchase I make today. And plasmas can offer better or equal performance for hundreds, if not thousands less.

In fairness, new research will not affect a purchase I make today. And plasmas can offer better or equal performance for hundreds, if not thousands less.
Just adding my two cents. I have friends with plasmas that aren't happy- couple years and they get a small white square in the middle of the screen that gradually gets bigger. Having it repaired would cost more than a new TV. I bought a 42" LCD a couple years ago. Awesome picture once I switched to DirectTV. Glare is a problem with one ill placed lamp in the living room. but otherwise- awesome. I have friends that payed the few hundred extra for LED backlight, and those are truly awesome. With $1500 to spend, you should be able to get a good LED

I know it won't help you now. But damn I can't wait for OLED's in a price renage that I can afford. I want one that I can plaster my wall with like wall paper.

Just adding my two cents. I have friends with plasmas that aren't happy- couple years and they get a small white square in the middle of the screen that gradually gets bigger. Having it repaired would cost more than a new TV. I bought a 42" LCD a couple years ago. Awesome picture once I switched to DirectTV. Glare is a problem with one ill placed lamp in the living room. but otherwise- awesome. I have friends that payed the few hundred extra for LED backlight, and those are truly awesome. With $1500 to spend, you should be able to get a good LED

I gotcha and appreciate your post. I'm just saying that next year's latest and greatest won't affect me. It's not like a computer purchase.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm the king of annoying indecision.

It's not that difficult. The problem is you're getting absolutely terrible advice from some people who have placed their bets on a horse named "Glue" and they're trying to continue to make him relevant. I've done nauseatingly extensive research on this for years ( purchased 12 TV's in the last 3 years) and have posts on similar threads ( so.......many........similar..........threads) that finding where I stand should be easy. As always though, it's your money, it's your choice. Please research as many sites as possible and be a sponge for info. As long as your decision is informed, you'll feel better about your purchase.

Whether you choose Plasma or LED, bigger is better. Always.

It's not that difficult. The problem is you're getting absolutely terrible advice from some people who have placed their bets on a horse named "Glue" and they're trying to continue to make him relevant. I've done nauseatingly extensive research on this for years ( purchased 12 TV's in the last 3 years) and have posts on similar threads ( so.......many........similar..........threads) that finding where I stand should be easy. As always though, it's your money, it's your choice. Please research as many sites as possible and be a sponge for info. As long as your decision is informed, you'll feel better about your purchase.

Whether you choose Plasma or LED, bigger is better. Always.

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have bought 12 tvs recently.

Besides, this guy has described one of the two scenarios where LCD makes more sense than plasma. So that's an easy enough decision.

He will just have to deal with how inferior LCDs are to plasmas in handling motion. It's okay though, because that will be a lot less annoying than the glare he'd get on a plasma in a bright room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom