AT&T Fiber... I Finally have good speed (1 Viewer)

Juicy Fruit

WHO DAT & GEAUX LSU
Reaction score
I finally got a good internet connection. AT&T fiber, I got the 1000Mbps/1000Mbps gigabit plan.
I’ve had to settle with satalite internet through Hughsnet for the last 3 years since I moved. Slowest internet on the planet lol. Hated it. Couldn’t even watch Netflix on it, and forget gaming. No cable here ether.

AT&T has been laying the fiber lines for the last couple months in my neighborhood, they finally finished and I got it installed couple days ago. :cool: Crazy fast speeds... no data limits ether.

Sorry I get excited about this type of stuff haha...

BB2nAe.jpg

BB2ipF.jpg

Last edited:
Lucky you. Stuck with ViaSat. AT&T wouldn't even fix the hum on landline phone because last house on the line. It wasn't worth it for them and is not worth it for them to get landline internet to the address.

I have had the AT&T Gigapower for about a year or so now. Love it. I get about the same speeds on ethernet that you posted. On wifi, I get 400+ download speeds. I did turn off the wifi on their modem/gateway and I am using the Netgear Orbi mesh routers.93B994B7-B0AE-43A5-A278-A31E47505CF5.jpeg

I have had the AT&T Gigapower for about a year or so now. Love it. I get about the same speeds on ethernet that you posted. On wifi, I get 400+ download speeds. I did turn off the wifi on their modem/gateway and I am using the Netgear Orbi mesh routers.93B994B7-B0AE-43A5-A278-A31E47505CF5.jpeg

Nice. Yeah I bypassed the internal modems built-in wifi and now use my Netgear NightHawk router with a NightHawk mesh wifi extender. I then ended up leaving the AT&T modems wifi on as well as my router too. Can connect to ether if wanted. Any Benefit in totally turning it off?

My ping time should be a bit lower like yours imo. Server is 100 miles away and I get 49ms ping.

I too turned off their wifi and run it through my Asus router which has a bit stronger coverage. Question though. I have my wired devices connected to the Att router. The wifi router is just connected to that as well. It's great for wifi but I can't get network access to the wired devices. It's not a big deal as never need that. But I do want to eventually be able to print to my printer which is also wired. Any thoughts on this?

Almost forgot...

1544764065725.png

Last edited:
I too turned off their wifi and run it through my Asus router which has a bit stronger coverage. Question though. I have my wired devices connected to the Att router. The wifi router is just connected to that as well. It's great for wifi but I can't get network access to the wired devices. It's not a big deal as never need that. But I do want to eventually be able to print to my printer which is also wired. Any thoughts on this?

Almost forgot...

1544764065725.png

Are those your wifi speeds? Holy crap, how are you doing that?

Before I got the Orbi mesh setup, I had a couple devices (Hue, smarthings) connected to the AT&T gateway and my camera hub connected to the other router I had (it was a nighthawk that died on me). Now, I only have the devices connected to the Orbi routers. What you are doing should be working - but I am not an experienced network person. Have you tried connecting the printer to the Asus router?

Nice. Yeah I bypassed the internal modems built-in wifi and now use my Netgear NightHawk router with a NightHawk mesh wifi extender. I then ended up leaving the AT&T modems wifi on as well as my router too. Can connect to ether if wanted. Any Benefit in totally turning it off?

Honestly, I don't really know the pluses or minuses. I have it off just because I thought it made sense to turn it off if not in use.

Are those your wifi speeds? Holy crap, how are you doing that?

Before I got the Orbi mesh setup, I had a couple devices (Hue, smarthings) connected to the AT&T gateway and my camera hub connected to the other router I had (it was a nighthawk that died on me). Now, I only have the devices connected to the Orbi routers. What you are doing should be working - but I am not an experienced network person. Have you tried connecting the printer to the Asus router?

Honestly, I don't really know the pluses or minuses. I have it off just because I thought it made sense to turn it off if not in use.

No way. I get 400+ with wifi depending on where I am. That's a wired test.

My printing issue would be fixed if I ran everything through the same router, wired and wireless. But part of the reason I am using a second router is that have that one placed in the center of the house whereas the modem is placed in the front office. I only have one cable going from the front office to the center of the house so using that one for wired connections is not really an option. I could get creative and get another asus router to put in the front room and use the two of them in mesh and just plug everything into the first unit. But that cost more and I so infrequently want to print from wifi that it's not worth it.

If your Netgear router and AT&T modem are next to each other than there's no benefit in leaving the AT&T wifi on. It's better if you turn off the AT&T wifi so there's less competition on the airwaves.

Fast forward a few years and I feel a bit like back to the future. They installed the fiber lines in my neighborhood a few months ago and I had it installed today…..it’s fantastic. Everything loads so fast.

I can’t wait for football in the fall through the fiber connection. :)

Fast forward a few years and I feel a bit like back to the future. They installed the fiber lines in my neighborhood a few months ago and I had it installed today…..it’s fantastic. Everything loads so fast.

I can’t wait for football in the fall through the fiber connection. :)
I'm envious. I live in the sticks and have to rely on Fixed Wireless from ATT. It's not terrible, but it's not fiber optics.

I'm envious. I live in the sticks and have to rely on Fixed Wireless from ATT. It's not terrible, but it's not fiber optics.
It really seems to be hit and miss on how they are installing the fiber. A street less than a mile away doesn’t have it but go another mile and it’s down a different street. My installer told me that he doesn’t even have it yet and he’s been waiting for years. I was shocked a few months back when the contractors knocked on my door to get access to the poles in my back yard. That’s when I knew it finally was coming to my street. Good luck and here’s to you getting that knock soon!

They put the fiber in the ground here roughly 3 months ago, but it still is available yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom