Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (6 Viewers)

Lawsuit. Depts are concerned and rightfully so that any admission can and will be used against them.

I agree with your sentiment as well and wish it was so, but unless folks are willing to give up the right to sue a PD we have what we have.
The inability to sue wouldn't help.

Pigs gonna pig.

well, anythime they knowingly lie about things, its not gonna look good for them. The dept had to be aware of the video footage and undoubtedly watched it, but still say it was unclear if it was her getting out of the car when they have the audio of an officer saying it was her.
When you have been sitting on the footage of this for 2 years refusing to release it and still not giving the correcdt story, they HAD to know eventually video and audio evidence was gonna be realsed., But they were gonna stick to thier guns and claim officers didn't know it was here.
Do i think it was Malice? no. Do i think the way they seemed to have handled it wrong? absolutely.
They were scared that the father could fire on them and had a hair trigger finger, and at the first thought of danger they just let the bullets fly. they were terrified.
I would never want to be a poice officer, this is one of the reasons. but i can admit that..
Malice in the shooting? No, probably just cowardice.
Malice in the coverup? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Malice in the shooting? No, probably just cowardice.
Malice in the coverup? Abso-freaking-lutely.
good point.
What happened was bad enough, but a cover up makes it much much worse.
people are more understanding when you admit a mistake, but when you try to hide what happened, you lose that because then it doesn't come accross as a mistake.

Two First Nations fishermen have said they were forced to walk shoeless for hours in the dark and cold after Canadian federal officers seized their boots and phones.

The prime minister, Justin Trudeau, said the allegations were “extremely troubling” amid mounting anger over the treatment of the Mi’kmaw fishermen, whose ordeal has prompted comparisons with the notorious “starlight tours” in which the police routinely abandoned Indigenous people in the bitter cold.

Blaise Sylliboy of Eskasoni First Nation and Kevin Hartling of Membertou First Nation were arrested by federal fisheries officers on the night of 26 March while fishing for elvers in a river in south-west Nova Scotia.…..

After the pair were arrested, the officers confiscated their fishing waders – with their boots attached – and their cellphones, a “standard practice” when investigating poaching, the department said in a statement.

Sylliboy told CBC News he was in so much pain from the handcuffs he agreed to be dropped off at a gas station shortly after midnight.

But without a phone, he was unable to call friends or family for help.

“I told [the officer], like, ‘Man, this is outrageous. You’re leaving me with no shoes,’” Sylliboy said. “He said, ‘You know the consequences. But I said, ‘I know the consequences, but this is, like, outrageous on human rights.’ And he was like, ‘Yeah, sounds like your guys’ problem.’”

The men were told to leave the gas station and so they walked along the road in search of a motel, their feet wrapped in duct tape and plastic bags.

“When we were walking, there’s times I’m like, ‘Man, if we stop, we’re going to die,’ because our feet were just soaked,” Hartling told CBC.

They said an ambulance driver stopped to let them use his phone, but refused to pick them up. The pair eventually convinced a truck driver to bring them to the town of Shelburne.

Neither of the men have been formally charged.……..

But lawsuits don't hurt tge dept. It hurts the citizens that fund the city or county that has to fork over the money
budget cuts to depts do happen because of them . media and other outlets needs to do a better job at outing when this happens. when a dept is pleaing with the public because of budget cuts it needs to be front and center on how much money the dept has cost the district because of terrible employees causing lawsuits..

budget cuts to depts do happen because of them . media and other outlets needs to do a better job at outing when this happens. when a dept is pleaing with the public because of budget cuts it needs to be front and center on how much money the dept has cost the district because of terrible employees causing lawsuits..
I'm not certain if it's a legal requirement or if it's good city management but I believe most cities carry insurrence to cover lawsuits.

I would love to see it tied to pensions
Never happen. Surely you'd see legal action taken by those who would claim its not fair to those who weren't involved in those situations.

Regardless, I'm not sure how they'd legally be able to pull money from their pension plans.

The better way to attack this is to remove qualified immunity, or at the very least, modify it so that it's only applicable in a narrow set of circumstances.

Never happen. Surely you'd see legal action taken by those who would claim its not fair to those who weren't involved in those situations.

Regardless, I'm not sure how they'd legally be able to pull money from their pension plans.

The better way to attack this is to remove qualified immunity, or at the very least, modify it so that it's only applicable in a narrow set of circumstances.
I also believe if an officer violates criminal law he loses immunity. I do know if they violate your rights they lose immunity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom