Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (2 Viewers)

I’m still not clear on why some were found guilty and some not now this guilty but no jail time
===================

A former Colorado paramedic has avoided a prison sentence, instead sentenced on Friday to probation following his criminally negligent homicide conviction in connection with the 2019 death of Elijah McClain – whose heart stopped after he was injected with ketamine during a police stop.

Jeremy Cooper was an Aurora Fire Rescue EMT responding to the scene on 24 August 2019 after a 911 call reporting someone “looking sketchy” in a ski mask.

That person was 32-year-old McClain, later described by a friend as “the sweetest, purest person I have ever met,” who was walking home from a convenience store after buying an iced tea.

Almost immediately upon the officers’ arrival, McClain, an unarmed Black man, was violently arrested, placed in a chokehold and later injected with ketamine – after which he went into cardiac arrest, dying days later.

Cooper’s sentencing brought to a close a number of trials stretching over seven months, leading to the convictions of a police officer and two paramedics – the latter of which rarely face charges in police proceedings.

Former paramedic Peter Cichuniec was sentenced in March to five years in prison for criminally negligent homicide and second-degree assault. Officer Randy Roedema was sentenced in January to 14 months in jail for criminally negligent homicide and misdemeanor assault.

Former Aurora cop Jason Rosenblatt was found not guilty in October of manslaughter and assault. Officer Nathan Woodyard – who prosecutors argued placed McClain in a chokehold within seconds of his arrival on scene – was found not guilty in November of criminally negligent homicide and manslaughter.

He had been suspended from the department until the acquittal and briefly returned to work before resigning two months later in January……

A former Florida police captain with a long history of civilian complaints, including false arrests and harassment, has joined the state’s state guard under governor Ron DeSantis.

Javier Ortiz, 44, joined the Florida state guard in February, the Miami Herald first reported. Ortiz’s enrollment comes months after being reinstated by the Miami police department, after he was initially dismissed for slew of conduct complaints.

As a member of the Florida state guard, Ortiz could be sent to assist during natural disasters or with other statewide emergencies, the Herald reported.

A spokesperson for the Florida state guard could not be reached by the Guardian in time for publication.

Several people have questioned why Ortiz is allowed to join the Florida state guard given his past misconduct.

“I can’t wrap my mind around how concerning this is,” Rodney Jacobs, the director of Miami’s civilian police review panel, said to the Herald about Ortiz joining the state guard.

Jacobs added: “Are they being vetted?”

In 2022, Ortiz was fired by the Miami police department after an internal investigation found that the veteran police officer had been the subject of more than 70 complaints since being hired in 2004, NBC Miami reported.…..

PSA: Please remember that gun laws in this country are not applicable to all of its citizens!
"The circumstances surrounding Roger's death raise serious questions that demand immediate answers from authorities, especially considering the alarming witness statement that the police entered the wrong apartment," Crump said. "The narrative released by law enforcement, which falsely suggests that Roger posed a threat, is deeply troubling and inconsistent with the details provided by that witness: Roger was home alone, causing no disturbance, when his life was tragically cut short by law enforcement."

The sheriff's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the attorney's claims. The sheriff's office recently came under scrutiny after one of its deputies resigned following an internal investigation last year of an incident in which he fired his weapon multiple times at a detained suspect after mistaking the sound of an acorn hitting the roof of his patrol vehicle as a gunshot, GulfLive.com reported.

Fortson lived in an off-base residence, and his special operations squadron at Hurlburt Field in the Florida panhandle flies AC-130J Ghostrider gunships.

Crump said there was no disturbance and that Fortson was home alone on a video call with another person, who reported the airman heard a knock on the door.

Fortson, according to the witness, asked, "Who is it?" But he didn't receive an answer. After a subsequent "aggressive" second knock and seeing no one through the peephole, Fortson grabbed his legally owned gun, Crump detailed.

As Fortson was walking back to his living room, police entered the apartment and shot him. He reportedly said "I can't breathe" while on the ground after being shot, Crump said, repeating a witness account of the event.

it's a shame that law enforcement can use the defense of "oops, my bad" and it be a legitimate reason in most people's eyes..
I may be wrong but I don't think most people would consider that a legitimate reason. Too many, certainly, but not most.

Houston’s police chief unexpectedly retired from the force Tuesday night amid questions about a department policy that allowed hundreds of thousands of cases to be suspended, including sexual abuse cases, according to the mayor’s office.

Troy Finner had served as the chief of the Houston Police Department since 2021, capping off a 34-year career with the department.

“I consider Troy Finner a friend. It was tough to accept his retirement, but it was in the best interest of Houstonians,” Houston Mayor John Whitmire said in an impromptu news conference Wednesday.

The retirement announcement came hours after an internal email obtained by CNN affiliate KHOU showed Finner referring to an investigation being suspended due to “lack of personnel,” in 2018, three years before he had said he was aware of the policy.

Finner was executive assistant chief over patrol operations at the time the email was written.

At a February news conference, Finner said he didn’t know about the practice until 2021, the year he became chief, when he ordered the department’s Special Victims Division to stop using the “lack of personnel” code to suspended investigations.

Finner said in April the police department had made progress reviewing about 264,000 investigations that were suspended since 2016 citing only lack of personnel. More than 4,000 of those cases involved allegations of adult sex crimes. An independent review committee is also investigating..............

Maybe most people aren't ok with it, but most people don't care enough and just shrug it off as oh well, shirt happens.

Maybe most people aren't ok with it, but most people don't care enough and just shrug it off as oh well, shirt happens.
Probably, but realistically, what can we do beyond grumbling about it? I don't know. Usually actively responding to stuff like this means some local protest or voting on proposals that would curb what's happening.

PSA: Please remember that gun laws in this country are not applicable to all of its citizens!

TIL that the the Sherriff Department that brought you this:

are also responsible for this:

At least he asked the Airman to drop the gun AFTER he murdered him!

The Sheriff mentions that the Deputy announced himself and he went out of his way to say that the deputy did not cover the peep-hole.

What he did not address that the deputy purposefully avoided being visually ID'd by the resident by stepping away from the door.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom